Hopper 3 users...how is the new 52.0 remote vs. the old 40.0?

Well, that will put them straight into a drawer when I get mine next week. That is a head scratching omission.
When the installer first shows up tell him the remotes are yours, you bought them and they are staying with you. If he says different have him start calling his supervisor to get a reading on this, then hide the old remotes.
I told our installer that the remotes were bought by me and were staying and he didn't seem too concerned.

I think I'll be on the same page as those that prefer the old 40.0 remote over the new one. I use PIP often enough and I use the green CC button a lot, so I don't think I'll like having to go back to multiple button pushes and diving through menus on the new remote when the old one is one push. From reading some of your responses, it also seems that it is hit or miss as to whether or not a conflict will arise with the installer if you want to keep the old remotes. I'm also wondering if it is just the "authorized retailer" installers that are trying to take the remotes, since one of the commenters mentioned that he had no problem keeping his remotes and his installer was an official Dish Network employee. I might just hide my 40.0 remotes and pull out some old 6.0 and 5.4 remotes I have from when I had a couple 722 DVRs. If he asks, well, the original remotes stopped working a while back, but I've been getting by with these old ones!

I really miss the single button CC.
I did miss the page up/down but I've since read that channel up/down now does this function.
The skip/FF button works better than I expected. I do wish it didn't wrap around since I tended to press it multiple times to get to 300x only to press it one time too often and have it wrap to 5x.
I wish there was a way to make the DVR power button on the top of the remote turn off my receiver.
I don't like the device buttons on the side. I have to rotate the remote to read the buttons to figure out which one to press. (Perhaps I'll memorize them in time.)
I find the placement of the DVR button to be less convenient. It was easily reachable in the center of the 40.0. On the 52.0 it's in the upper right corner, less easy to hit.
I do like the Back/Live TV button.
I miss the Stop button. Now it requires multiple presses to finish with a show. (Select, navigate over to stop, navigate over to delete.)

They did make it more simple, but that doesn't necessarily make it easier to use.

... I'm also wondering if it is just the "authorized retailer" installers that are trying to take the remotes, since one of the commenters mentioned that he had no problem keeping his remotes and his installer was an official Dish Network employee. ...

Authorized Retailers don't take anything. They leave all the equipment and DISH sends the return shipping boxes to the customer. Sub contractors take everything, that's what they're supposed to do and they probably get charged for anything they don't return to DISH. DISH company employees have some leeway whether they take the remotes or not without being penalized.

Authorized Retailers don't take anything. They leave all the equipment and DISH sends the return shipping boxes to the customer. Sub contractors take everything, that's what they're supposed to do and they probably get charged for anything they don't return to DISH. DISH company employees have some leeway whether they take the remotes or not without being penalized.
Can we request DISH company employees only when we upgrade to Hopper 3?

Can we request DISH company employees only when we upgrade to Hopper 3?

Not that I'm aware of. They have sub-contractors or RSP's in areas of the country where DISH corporate doesn't cover.

If you call a local retailer they'll leave everything with you, then when DISH sends the shipping boxes you just return the receivers and keep the remotes.

Not that I'm aware of. They have sub-contractors or RSP's in areas of the country where DISH corporate doesn't cover.

If you call a local retailer they'll leave everything with you, then when DISH sends the shipping boxes you just return the receivers and keep the remotes.
IC, thanks. I had a good retailer shop but he got out of the DISH TV business.

Yep, I hear ya. The only one close by in my area is some kinda cell phone company.

As you probably know most of those Cellular Connections and the like aren't full service retailers, they only sell DISH and the regular techs are sent to do the work.

I have every remote from the 301 onwards. I don't recall an installer ever asking for the old ones, and I certainly never included them in return boxes.

Note that replacement STBs will be just the STB. No remotes, cables or antennas are sent.

I have every remote from the 301 onwards. I don't recall an installer ever asking for the old ones, and I certainly never included them in return boxes.

Note that replacement STBs will be just the STB. No remotes, cables or antennas are sent.
Nor have they ever asked for one to be returned after sending replacement for defective remotes.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dish has always requested the old remotes get returned, and I have heard that people have been charged for them if they are not returned. That being said, I agree, what good is a nasty used remote?
Probably mainly to discourage people from taking advantage and stockpiling on free remotes. Plus, any reason to charge for something is reason enough!

That being said, I've never had to return my old remotes when I requested replacements. Then again been a customer a long time and rarely request them. Might depend on how much Dish values one's business, whether or not one is under contract, how far into the contract, how often they've given you freebies, etc. Also could be you attitude toward the rep, or just plain how generous the particular rep you're dealing with is feeling that particular day... Protection Plan... Lease/own... Package subscribed to... What department.... Sun/moon alignment... I'm sure they take a few things into consideration... Or maybe they don't consider any of it at all... I'm sure they can benefit somehow, else they wouldn't bother.

They may ask for them but you are not required to return them.

Dish has no idea if the original remote failed and you purchased a new one. Just tell them you purchased it and it's yours.

Much like the LNB thing I suppose... If they can get you to do it, why not...

If push comes to shove over the issue (which I doubt) I will just tell the installer to keep the 5.0s, as we have no desire to use them. Why mess with what we have been used to for years? And the no AUX, again , is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited:
I hate when they mess with something that's not broken, on the other hand I can see there point because when I had guests stay over they didn't have a clue what to do with the remote.

I hate when they mess with something that's not broken, on the other hand I can see there point because when I had guests stay over they didn't have a clue what to do with the remote.

It's not broken for you or for most of us here but the average customer thinks there are too many buttons.

My tech was a Dish employee and had ZERO interest in taking aback the remote. I even mentioned experiences from this forum but he said Dish had no interest in old remotes. I even tried to give him one of my previous generation remotes but he said to just throw them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)