Hopper 3 VOD weirdness

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

olds403

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
michigan
This past weekend I was attempting to watch Dish VOD on the new Hopper 3. I was trying to watch Deadliest Catch kind of unsuccessfully. The Hopper shows that its internet connection downloads at over 160 Mb. The Hopper 3 is connected by ethernet cable directly to the cable modem.

The show would start normally, then shortly after starting the buffering pop-up would appear, it would show downloading speeds of over 100Mb on the pop up but it would keep buffering. To get the video to play again it would sometimes respond to me hitting the pause then the play buttons. Other times I would have to stop playback and go back to rented shows and resume playback from there.

I ended up resetting the modem and then the entire Dish network and it worked ok after that. Is this a known problem with the VOD on the Hopper 3? i have had the Hopper 3 for a month and it worked ok up until the last week or so. Is this an issue that might be fixed in a software update? I had tons of issues with the previous Hopper 2 and wireless joeys so I upgraded to the Hopper 3 and got a wired Joey 3 in the master bedroom to address the issues, now some of them are reappearing.

I would say your problem is not unique. I have seen people on the technicians forum talking about this issue at customers homes

Reactions: olds403
Thank you for your response, hopefully it will be resolved soon.
Same say they change out the Hopper. Some say it's the Internet Service. Specifically certain Gateways that bigger companies like Comcast, Spectrum, etc use. Some guys say a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) is the fix, or a third party router. On HERE though, where there's a little more in=depth thoughts, opening a port or setting a Dynamic IP for the Hopper does the job. I had connectivity problems, where my Hopper would lose connection to the Internet and I setup an IP for the Hopper and haven't had that problem

Been having the same problems for months with VOD on my wireless Joey. Last night it was showing download speeds of up to 40mbps while buffering! Has made VOD almost useless to try and use.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Same say they change out the Hopper. Some say it's the Internet Service. Specifically certain Gateways that bigger companies like Comcast, Spectrum, etc use. Some guys say a HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) is the fix, or a third party router. On HERE though, where there's a little more in=depth thoughts, opening a port or setting a Dynamic IP for the Hopper does the job. I had connectivity problems, where my Hopper would lose connection to the Internet and I setup an IP for the Hopper and haven't had that problem

Thanks HipKat, I have not had time to set up a static IP for the Hopper, I will do that. I do have one of the problem modems by Arris with WOW internet. I thought a hardline connection would fix the issue. Thanks again for the info. I do appreciate it.

Reactions: HipKat
Thanks HipKat, I have not had time to set up a static IP for the Hopper, I will do that. I do have one of the problem modems by Arris with WOW internet. I thought a hardline connection would fix the issue. Thanks again for the info. I do appreciate it.
You're welcome. I hope the new IP does the trick. You may have to call WOW and have them setup the exception for the Hopper

Reactions: olds403
You're welcome. I hope the new IP does the trick. You may have to call WOW and have them setup the exception for the Hopper

I was able to log into the ARRIS 3270 modem and set reservations for the IP addresses of the Hopper3, WiFi Access Point (for the Wireless Joeys), and also the wired Joey3. They will all keep the same IP address and should not be affected by DHCP, so hopefully this will help.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
I watched VOD last night through the Joey3 which had previously exhibited the same issues I had with the Hopper 3 and had no issues whatsoever. Watched 2 episodes of Deadliest Catch without a glitch. YAY!

Reactions: HipKat
I watched VOD last night through the Joey3 which had previously exhibited the same issues I had with the Hopper 3 and had no issues whatsoever. Watched 2 episodes of Deadliest Catch without a glitch. YAY!

Did we get a software update? Or Dish fixed something at their end?

Did we get a software update? Or Dish fixed something at their end?
Actually I think it is because I set the reserved IP addresses in my "problem" cable modem so that they would not be changed by DCHP. VOD worked flawlessly last night after I did that. I saw absolutely none of the constant buffering issues I saw previously.

Reactions: TheKrell
Actually I think it is because I set the reserved IP addresses in my "problem" cable modem so that they would not be changed by DCHP. VOD worked flawlessly last night after I did that. I saw absolutely none of the constant buffering issues I saw previously.
Awesome to hear!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts