Hopper 3 - What 3 Things Would You Change?

1. Add local Outside Temp to Banner or Guide (the Hopper already knows the temp from the two weather apps and their data)
2. Change Home Screen that starts when you power on to ONLY Shows Trending and Shows you might like (I know where the DVR and On Demand is).
3. Add Start from Begging pop up message if show is avl frm On Demand or already recorded from the DVR.

Do we really need the On Demand list of shows all the time? When I finish watching a show & go to delete it, I don't need a list of the previous episodes available On Demand, I've already recorded/watched/deleted them. If I want to find something I might have missed, I know how to search the On Demand programs. Let me toggle On Demand lists with an on/off option.

Reactions: fuzzy and ralfyguy
1. Guide Data for ALL Free Over the Air Locals Antenna Channels via the $30 USB tuner, including the .3 and .4 sub channels. Before some said there was not enough memory to hold this data, the new Hopper 3 has tons of RAM, they can do this now.

Reactions: DWS44 and Scola77
1) 4x SPEED on DVR Re-enabled - OR a 6x SPEED would work
2) 3 Hour Guide with Program Info ON TOP - It is much more readable as a large horizontal width box - text is a pain in the butt to read in a narrow column as it is.(TV pic in banner useless due to size)
3) Restore option to hide non-HD channels

On general, the whole interface is a downgrade in my opinion except for the DVR section which is an overall improvement except removing the 4x speed.

Reactions: DWS44
1) When you turn on go to LIVE TV not Home
2) When ffwding thru a commercial break, I want the 10 second jump back when I hit play to come out of FFWD
3) Holding down a button to skip a day in the guide is fine, but allow me to keep holding it down to keep skipping. Currently I have to press, skip, release, press, skip, release...

Before some said there was not enough memory to hold this data, the new Hopper 3 has tons of RAM, they can do this now

Memory was never the issue here...Dish's willingness to provide them (or stubborn lack thereof) is the issue. :(

...and on a separate note...

God bless everyone who's mentioned how the 4X Trick Play speed unceremoniously disappeared. I was beginning to think I was the only one who noticed or cared.

Reactions: TheLip
I think the biggest issues are the screenshots compared with the older Hopper. I don't recall transitioning to the original Hopper being as challenging. .
When using the DVR menu I always have this uncomfortable feeling I am deleting something I have not watched If I don't look at least twice at the date. It has to do with the way recordings within a specific program are displayed. I am glad they did not mess too much with the timer setup.
Basically, I like the new capabilities but find executing the functions less than desirable.
One thing I am happy about is that I can still use my Harmony remote with the same functions as the older Hopper for the most part. I still find the 52.0 remote lacking a STOP button disconcerting. As remotes go, It seems too limited. My main objections are mostly subjective, but feeling comfortable with devices depends a lot on making them not only easy. but more intuitive.

Reactions: TheLip
1) More tactile feel on remote buttons, protruding, different shape, etc. OR - back-lit remote.
2) Need a DVR icon on the screen that shows other episodes after you stop playback and then delete the show you just finished.
3) More dedicated buttons on remote

1) NO Home screen... go directly to tuner.
2) NO ad banner
3) List mode on recorded shows. TIRED of tiled shows. Just give me a list of my shows like iTunes/AppleTV does.

1. Go back to previous H2 UI which addresses most changes everyone is saying here.
2. Drop the new remote and keep the old remote from the H2 which still comes with 4k joeys.
3. And of course get rid of the home screen.

1. Native or Optional 1080p: stop converting 720p channels to 1080i, show Netflix in 1080p.
2. UI Options: Home Screen removal option, Guide format options including placement of description and ad-banner options.
3. Increase Dish Anywhere concurrent user count: allow as many users on Dish Anywhere as the number of receivers on the account.

1.) Allow receiver to go into standby from the Netflix app as set by the standby timeout setting.
2.) Allow setting timers to record to the external hdd. If drive not available or DRM doesn't allow, then record to main hopper.
3.) Allow folders in External HDD.

Heck, I'd like the NAMING of EHDs. And a listing of contents. I started writing a little program for the latter, but work takes WAY too much of my time. Maybe after I retire.

But that's for ALL receivers. I'm sticking with my two HWS.

I am new to Dish, been DTV for a LONG time.

Here are the items that need to be addressed:

1. Buffer live TV when you are watching a recorded program. I know hit the record button, but geez we have 16 tuners, what is the problem here.
2. No Home Screen
3. Be able to add your OTA channels to a favorites list. Have not tried the H3 but the 4K Joeys will not allow you to add these channels to favorites. This is stupid.

All in all i am happy with DISH, but there are some basic things that need to be addressed,

True... But it's a pain to have to go into the guide and record the next show, etc... It's nice to be able to pause a show, watch another recorded show, then go back to live tv and commercial skip, etc... Having to manage that shouldn't be required.

One of the thing I'm missing from Directv are the dual 90 minute buffers that are always live....

I agree 100%. This is my ONLY major complaint with DISH, please correct this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)