Hopper 4 (may be called Hopper X)

...and that some people maybe shouldn't take such posts so seriously that they twist it around and make a new post trying to sound like they "heard" some secret scoop. ;)
or perhaps knew all along it was a joke but thought it would be amusing to have such an eye-catching thread title and then sit back and enjoy the post. :).

That is why god invented HDMI splitters.
I have a 4 port HDMI spliter running 3 TVs in 3 in 3 different rooms. Works great but everyone watches the same channels.
oh yes I forgot about that. it can be a great solution. However I think HDMI splitters diminishes any 5.1 down to stereo 2.0 so it would best, if you're using that client box to also watch TV in that room, to have that HDMI splitter in a room where you don't need to listen to multi-channel sound. of course any sling or other devices I'm aware of only send audio through the internet at stereo 2.0 anyway.

oh yes I forgot about that. it can be a great solution. However I think HDMI splitters diminishes any 5.1 down to stereo 2.0 so it would best, if you're using that client box to also watch TV in that room, to have that HDMI splitter in a room where you don't need to listen to multi-channel sound. of course any sling or other devices I'm aware of only send audio through the internet at stereo 2.0 anyway.

I have used a powered HDMI splitter before and have not seen the output audio reduced to 2.0- maybe it's the brand of splitter you're using?

I have used a powered HDMI splitter before and have not seen the output audio reduced to 2.0- maybe it's the brand of splitter you're using?
that's good to that's good to hear. Thanks. I think it was just one of the split HDMI was diminished to stereo 2.0 however, it may be to some of the older HDMI Splitters to that but not some of the more recently manufactured ones and that would be good news.

You have to be careful with HDMI splitters. Some of the cheap ones break HDCP which makes them useless when watching tv using Dish.

When I had my original installation done with a Joey 2 the only way it would display on my tv is with a splitter. Later on I ended up getting a replacement for some reason and that one worked without the splitter. Apparently some Joey’s have HDCP problems.

But they are working on the next version of the Hopper right?
Yes, of course they are. Hardware development, even when the changes on the outside appear minimal, can take 1-2 years of work. If they create a new outer 'shell', the tooling for that can take months. These things can be done in parallel, of course.

Plans for the Hopper 5 are no doubt in place as well.

Yes, of course they are. Hardware development, even when the changes on the outside appear minimal, can take 1-2 years of work. If they create a new outer 'shell', the tooling for that can take months. These things can be done in parallel, of course.

Plans for the Hopper 5 are no doubt in place as well.
Hopper 5, code-named "Roxanne" ("You don't have to put on the red light.") will feature a red recording light for those who want it, and the ability to turn off the red light for those who don't want it, so everyone is happy.

Hopper 5, code-named "Roxanne" ("You don't have to put on the red light.") will feature a red recording light for those who want it, and the ability to turn off the red light for those who don't want it, so everyone is happy.

giphy.gif

The next Hopper should have built in OTA. And as I’ve mentioned in another thread
Maybe they could come up with a way to add a drive to the Hopper like the OTA module on the vip series. They could make it work in a raid array so it would basically add to the internal storage. That way it can work with dish anywhere and seamlessly integrate with the default experience. It seems using external drives at this time is more of a headache than it’s worth. Just because someone likes recording a lot of stuff doesn’t mean their tech savvy enough to move recordings around and go through the sometimes lengthy process to get something to play off the external drive.

Multiple Hopper 3's?
Multiple Hopper 3's?

Wonder what the percentage of users using an OTA module is? If it isn't very high, than adding an in-built OTA could be a useless expense. I have one but I don't use the OTA.

Reactions: Bobby
Wonder what the percentage of users using an OTA module is? If it isn't very high, than adding an in-built OTA could be a useless expense. I have one but I don't use the OTA.

You can bet Dish knows that number, and that's likely why built-in modules were removed in the first place. I'd be surprised if built-in OTA comes back, and honestly, I'm just thankful we still have the option of the USB adapter.

We use the OTA modules on both of our Hopper2's, but I'm sure our usage is a bit out of the norm. Right now for instance, we're in Florida with one Hopper in our motorhome, while the other Hopper is at our upstate NY cottage. Since we've changed our current service address to the Jacksonville, FL DMA, the NY Hopper is no longer receiving the Albany, NY DMA locals, but we can still watch them with DishAnywhere using the OTA signals. Locally here in FL, we sometimes move out of the current service address DMA, but are still within the spot beam, so we don't bother changing to the new DMA for a short stay. Instead, we just watch the OTA locals where we are at the time for the local news and weather. The Hoppers, OTA modules, and DishAnywhere, combined with our unlimited mobile Internet data services, have really enhanced our Dish service for us over our original mobile setup with a single VIP-211k. Then again, the 211k did have the built-in OTA tuner in its favor... :)

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)