Hopper 4

1. 4XFF
2. multi level folders on internal drive
3. multi level folders on EHD with program transfer between EHDs without going through the internal hard drive( like window's file management) .
4. A search option like we had on the 722s to find programs by multiple types at a given time. ( like find all war movies that will start at 3pm today).
5. expand game finder to include more sports like arena football, WNBA, college baseball, boxing, golf, tennis, college ladies basketball, college hockey, and more.
6. allow PIP and user controlled multi view at multi tvs.

It would not surprise me to see Dish make a push to move customers to OTA locals instead of sat locals.

Agreed! I only wish Dish would finish the OTA guide, which is missing on a lot of my subchannels and even on some main channels which have subchannel guide data but no main HD channel. I'm thinking of my local PBS station, WETA, which has a guide for 26.2, 3, and 4, but not for the main 26.1. :crying

Instead of building in four OTA tuners, Dish would just need to enable connecting two current OTA adapters. Dish would gain adapter sales revenue for just a modest software development cost.
That's the perfect solution for the Hopper 3. I'd buy it, if it didn't double as a space heater. But we aren't like most subs, let's face it, we're sat obsessed weirdos. Most subs don't know about the OTA module and out of the ones that do, most don't want to pay for additional equipment. Pay TV is a service after all. By having OTA tuners built into the Hopper 4 far more subs would have access to that capability.

That's the perfect solution for the Hopper 3. I'd buy it, if it didn't double as a space heater. But we aren't like most subs, let's face it, we're sat obsessed weirdos. Most subs don't know about the OTA module and out of the ones that do, most don't want to pay for additional equipment. Pay TV is a service after all. By having OTA tuners built into the Hopper 4 far more subs would have access to that capability.

If Dish provided receivers/Hoppers with built-in OTA tuners, then they would probably have to continue paying for the local's re-transmission rights because the OTA tuners would be considered part of the service. Whereas, if the customer (Dish subscribers) purchased the OTA tuners for use with their Dish receivers/Hoppers, the locals couldn't charge any fees to anyone, anymore than they can for us putting up antennas. I find it highly doubtful that what Dish charges us for locals makes up for what they actually pay for them. They might be using them as a loss-leader. So, if Dish could drop the re-transmission fees, they might save money and then the big networks wouldn't be able to hold subscribers hostage every time they renegotiate those re-transmission rights with Dish. I find it highly amusing that the locals charge anything for re-transmission rights to begin with. After all, Dish is expanding their coverage area to include for their sponsors and the airways are free to begin with. It costs the locals nothing for Dish to do that and, because of that, if they insist on charging re-transmission fees, $0.01 a month would be profit since it is more than "free." In my mind, Dish should be charging the locals for using their equipment to re-transmit their free signals using Dish products. And, no, I am not being naive about this. Just looking at it from another perspective.

I expect Dish has a pretty good handle on subscriber OTA use just from the sales numbers for OTA adapters going back to the pre-Hopper receivers. My memory is fuzzy on it, but did any other receivers besides the VIP211K have a built-in non-modular OTA tuner as standard equipment? And now that sat locals are an option, I would think they'd know even better by how many subs are dropping them in favor of OTA, whether using an adapter or not.

I expect Dish has a pretty good handle on subscriber OTA use just from the sales numbers for OTA adapters going back to the pre-Hopper receivers.

The receivers probably have the ability to “phone home” with this data as well. If not, they should- customer usage of OTA adapters is good data to have

Reactions: NYDutch
I expect Dish has a pretty good handle on subscriber OTA use just from the sales numbers for OTA adapters going back to the pre-Hopper receivers. My memory is fuzzy on it, but did any other receivers besides the VIP211K have a built-in non-modular OTA tuner as standard equipment?
612, 622, 722, 222, 411, original 211, and don't forget the 811, which also had an analog OTA tuner integrated :eeek

If Dish provided receivers/Hoppers with built-in OTA tuners, then they would probably have to continue paying for the local's re-transmission rights because the OTA tuners would be considered part of the service. Whereas, if the customer (Dish subscribers) purchased the OTA tuners for use with their Dish receivers/Hoppers, the locals couldn't charge any fees to anyone, anymore than they can for us putting up antennas. I find it highly doubtful that what Dish charges us for locals makes up for what they actually pay for them. They might be using them as a loss-leader. So, if Dish could drop the re-transmission fees, they might save money and then the big networks wouldn't be able to hold subscribers hostage every time they renegotiate those re-transmission rights with Dish. I find it highly amusing that the locals charge anything for re-transmission rights to begin with. After all, Dish is expanding their coverage area to include for their sponsors and the airways are free to begin with. It costs the locals nothing for Dish to do that and, because of that, if they insist on charging re-transmission fees, $0.01 a month would be profit since it is more than "free." In my mind, Dish should be charging the locals for using their equipment to re-transmit their free signals using Dish products. And, no, I am not being naive about this. Just looking at it from another perspective.
Tivo and Sling charge for their services without paying rebroadcast fees. Dish should be able to do the same.

I expect Dish has a pretty good handle on subscriber OTA use just from the sales numbers for OTA adapters going back to the pre-Hopper receivers. My memory is fuzzy on it, but did any other receivers besides the VIP211K have a built-in non-modular OTA tuner as standard equipment? And now that sat locals are an option, I would think they'd know even better by how many subs are dropping them in favor of OTA, whether using an adapter or not.
The number of subs currently using OTA is probably next to zero. And that's the point of having OTA tuners built into the next Hopper. It's not about meeting a demand, the idea is to move subs from sat locals to OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts