Hopper Back to 1AM Reboot (without warning)?

99.9% of the time my H3 does not reboot while I'm watching late at night. It has rebooted a couple of times I think dish was doing something that caused that. If your getting a lot of reboots with a H3 while watching there's a problem....

Just happened again about 20 mins ago - I guess there is a problem.

The only time your box should reboot without warning is when the Hopper hits 72 hours without a reset. The standby message does not in itself indicate that a reboot will happen immediately after you allow the box to go into standby.

The nightly reboot time is randomized across several late night/early morning hours, so it doesn't happen at 1AM for everyone.

Feel free to send me a PM with your receiver ID or send it to Scott so he can forward it over to me, and we'll see if anything weird is going on with your box. It does seem to be several days between your reboots though, which indicates your Hopper is hitting the 72 hour rule.

Rob

The only time your box should reboot without warning is when the Hopper hits 72 hours without a reset. The standby message does not in itself indicate that a reboot will happen immediately after you allow the box to go into standby.

The nightly reboot time is randomized across several late night/early morning hours, so it doesn't happen at 1AM for everyone.

Feel free to send me a PM with your receiver ID or send it to Scott so he can forward it over to me, and we'll see if anything weird is going on with your box. It does seem to be several days between your reboots though, which indicates your Hopper is hitting the 72 hour rule.

Rob
I will keep closer track over the next few days (rest of this week) and take note - sometimes I forget that programs are recording overnight. No matter what, it seems like there should be some sort of warning (I have none) rather than having the screen just go dark in the middle of a movie..... it's 1AM for me - almost to the minute. Thanks for having a look. Will let you know.

I wish there was a way to watch my 300+ movies on my external hard drive without having to use Dish equipment. If I could watch them through my desktop computer I think I would leave Dish and just eat the ETF. The 1 am reboots are simply driving me crazy.

Doesn't matter if I have a timer recording going on. It does not reboot every night but, when it does, it is completely WITHOUT warning and it doesn't care if a timer recording is in progress. The machine just inconveniently splits the recording into two halves -- with the portion during the shutdown left out. I, for one, simply can't understand if the Dish techs are simply too incompetent to give user options on what time the reboot/updates take place -- or if they simply do not care because it is too inconvenient for them to work on it?

As far as I am concerned, they can shove the 2 TB hard drives into their old dual tuner DVRS and offer them instead of the HWS or H3. Those old dual tuner machines were fabulous.

Same notation for the Joey. Mine malfunctions all the time when trying to jump back 10 seconds, etc. I'm told that there isn't much they can do about it. Dish used to have highly user friendly DVRs and very competent machines. But this seems to have changed since the Hopper was introduced. Lots of good ideas with it, but many do not work very well in reality.

From what I've read up above, the H3 is NOT designed to reboot every single night? They never seem to give us this vital information. Same with the 72 hour rule I read up above. If this is correct, why doesn't Dish supply us with this information in a more visible manner? I've always wondered why it seems to do the 1 am update on a sporadic basis. I never know when it is safe to set a timer. I hold my breath and hope some vital program isn't scheduled for that time of the morning. Seems like our full service from Dish is NOT available 24 hours a day even though we're paying 24 hours a day.

I wish there was a way to watch my 300+ movies on my external hard drive without having to use Dish equipment. If I could watch them through my desktop computer I think I would leave Dish and just eat the ETF. The 1 am reboots are simply driving me crazy.

Doesn't matter if I have a timer recording going on. It does not reboot every night but, when it does, it is completely WITHOUT warning and it doesn't care if a timer recording is in progress. The machine just inconveniently splits the recording into two halves -- with the portion during the shutdown left out. I, for one, simply can't understand if the Dish techs are simply too incompetent to give user options on what time the reboot/updates take place -- or if they simply do not care because it is too inconvenient for them to work on it?

As far as I am concerned, they can shove the 2 TB hard drives into their old dual tuner DVRS and offer them instead of the HWS or H3. Those old dual tuner machines were fabulous.

Same notation for the Joey. Mine malfunctions all the time when trying to jump back 10 seconds, etc. I'm told that there isn't much they can do about it. Dish used to have highly user friendly DVRs and very competent machines. But this seems to have changed since the Hopper was introduced. Lots of good ideas with it, but many do not work very well in reality.

From what I've read up above, the H3 is NOT designed to reboot every single night? They never seem to give us this vital information. Same with the 72 hour rule I read up above. If this is correct, why doesn't Dish supply us with this information in a more visible manner? I've always wondered why it seems to do the 1 am update on a sporadic basis. I never know when it is safe to set a timer. I hold my breath and hope some vital program isn't scheduled for that time of the morning. Seems like our full service from Dish is NOT available 24 hours a day even though we're paying 24 hours a day.
Have you ever thought about rebooting the receiver during the day when you are not watching tv? Maybe the 72 hour rule would then be synced to the time when You reboot it daily ,instead of 1 am? Maybe before primetime starts you do a power cord reboot and then plug it back in. That might alter the time for the reboot. Just a suggestion to try and see if it works. I for one, am asleep by 10:30 pm every night, because I have to get up early in the mornings to go to the gym, so I am not up at 1 am anymore.

Might you be happier with the primitive equipment over at DTV? Or, maybe downgrade to VIP equipment - if Dish wont give VIPs to you, I'm sure you can find them on Ebay.

BTW, I have never had a split or failed Skinemax recording on my Hopper3 or previous Hopper. Hoppers and Hopper3 have been extremely competent machines for me since their introduction - compared to 622/722 also.

Might you be happier with the primitive equipment over at DTV? Or, maybe downgrade to VIP equipment - if Dish wont give VIPs to you, I'm sure you can find them on Ebay.

BTW, I have never had a split or failed Skinemax recording on my Hopper3 or previous Hopper. Hoppers and Hopper3 have been extremely competent machines for me since their introduction - compared to 622/722 also.
Your lucky.
I've never had so many issues with recordings with any DVR until I went with the Hoppers.
HR 34 in its worst day was still reliable enough to record.

If Dish didn't charge so much for their 722k's I would have 4 of them right now.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

This issue has got me thinking.... first of all, from what I've read on this thread, there are others who say their H3 is booting at 1AM every night, so apparently it's not just me. Then, in some ways I feel like I'm 10 years old again, being called into the (schools) principals office for doing something wrong. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but is it true that if my schedule/lifestyle/habits are such that I want to watch TV every night between midnight and 5 or 6AM that I can only do so if I'm OK with my viewing (and recordings) being interrupted at 1AM and with absolutely no warning? I realize that most people probably sleep during those hours, but am I really the only one who doesn't? And if I were the only one - I can't be/do so without paying a "penalty"? I've made myself a chart that I'm going to use to track this. My Hopper didn't reboot at 1AM last night. But why 1AM anyway? Everyone is different - why not let users program this thing to do it's reboot-thing at a time that is best for them (rather than Dish)?? This has been a sore spot for a very long time - I wonder why with all the updates and "fixes" this doesn't seem to be a priority for the powers-that-be?

Guess you & I are the late night tv watchers - I'm not seeing nightly reboots on mine, would be very upset if I was, hated it on both previous versions of Hoppers. If my H3 was behaving like yours I would seriously consider replacing it to see if it's a glitch in your software.

Reactions: xfoneguy
Guess you & I are the late night tv watchers - I'm not seeing nightly reboots on mine, would be very upset if I was, hated it on both previous versions of Hoppers. If my H3 was behaving like yours I would seriously consider replacing it to see if it's a glitch in your software.
Thanks Peggy - I'm going to keep track the next few nights and will pursue replacement if this does continue.

Rob
OK, just for clarification: I just looked at my "DVR Schedule", and there are programs recording every night, all night - so I am not allowed to do that? Or if I do, I should expect to have split-recordings and interrupted viewing without warning?

How about during the day? Recording all day too? Your Hopper and Joeys must be in standby, all together, for a time each day or at least in 72 hours.

Reactions: Grandude
How about during the day? Recording all day too? Your Hopper and Joeys must be in standby, all together, for a time each day or at least in 72 hours.
there are plenty of "down hours" (the dogs can do without for a bit LOL) - The WJ's sometimes go for days w/o being turned on, and when they are, it's just a few hours here and there during the day. Can I just reboot myself when convenient? Or just make sure everything is off for a few hours at sometime during the day? I've been thinking that this standby time needs to be overnight, but maybe not? Thanks!

Have you ever thought about rebooting the receiver during the day when you are not watching tv? Maybe the 72 hour rule would then be synced to the time when You reboot it daily ,instead of 1 am? Maybe before primetime starts you do a power cord reboot and then plug it back in. That might alter the time for the reboot. Just a suggestion to try and see if it works. I for one, am asleep by 10:30 pm every night, because I have to get up early in the mornings to go to the gym, so I am not up at 1 am anymore.

Before I went to bed last night about 4 a.m., I shut off both my H3 and Joey. When I turned them back on when I woke up, I did notice that my software had updated to U313. It had been running the old software version that was downloaded in April.

Maybe I'll give your suggestion a try. Many times during late morning/early afternoon I do not watch TV, so I could shut them both off every day for a few hours.

Thanks.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

You must sure live right. LOL

I wish I could say the Hopper is an extremely competent machine. I've had problems with every one I've had. To me, it was the old dual-tuner DVRs that were very, very good. As for DTV, I was with them for a couple years and the Genie also has it's problems, but is basically comparable to the Hopper. The main advantage of the Hopper is the 2 TB hard drive, which is much larger than the Genie.

I'm going to try this as well.... it's certainly worth a shot if there is any chance at all that it might relieve the frustration. I'll do it tomorrow while I'm out and about. Will see what happens.

Reactions: MikeD-C05

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)