Hopper Freeze and Reboot

nicholb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
United States
I'm a recent convert from DirecTV. I've had the Hopper/Joey install for just over a week.

This last weekend the Hopper has froze up and rebooted twice (S207). Saturday at just after 7pm I turned on the Hopper and got only a mauve screen. No buttons worked and after several seconds the hopper rebooted. There was no one else viewing TV at the time. The second time was on Sunday just after 10pm. I was watching a recorded show on a Joey. The playback froze and after several seconds the Joey said it could no longer find the Hopper. I went to the Hopper to see what it was doing and it was running through a start up. Once again no one else was using anything on the system.

I am thinking I wait for S208 to see if that resolves this. So far it has not messed up any recordings I care about, but I would hate to have this happen while a show I cared about was recording.

I'm a recent convert from DirecTV. I've had the Hopper/Joey install for just over a week.

This last weekend the Hopper has froze up and rebooted twice (S207). Saturday at just after 7pm I turned on the Hopper and got only a mauve screen. No buttons worked and after several seconds the hopper rebooted. There was no one else viewing TV at the time. The second time was on Sunday just after 10pm. I was watching a recorded show on a Joey. The playback froze and after several seconds the Joey said it could no longer find the Hopper. I went to the Hopper to see what it was doing and it was running through a start up. Once again no one else was using anything on the system.

I am thinking I wait for S208 to see if that resolves this. So far it has not messed up any recordings I care about, but I would hate to have this happen while a show I cared about was recording.

:welcomeIf it happens again, you need to set up a tech visit. It should be free.

don't wait, report it to DIRT so that it gets fixed in the software.

Go to the bottom of the main forum page and private message the usernames in red with your bug and account number. (They are official Dish reps)

PM sent. (real fun figuring out which names are red and which are green when you are red/green color blind) :)

I had a Hopper freeze on Saturday evening as well. I needed to hit the red restart button. I've had this Hopper a bit over a month and this is the second time for me.

Two more reboots tonight. First 2 tuners were testing switch installations forcing me to reset the hopper and interrupting PTAT. Just over an hour later the hopper froze up with a black screen and it rebooted itself. This time interrupting two shows I was recording. I sent another pm with the new info.

I am wondering if the sling adapter is causing this. It did not arrive until Friday evening and the freeze/reboots started Saturday. Prior to adding that I had not seen any freeze/reboots. I disconnected it last night to see if the reboots go away.

I am wondering if the sling adapter is causing this. It did not arrive until Friday evening and the freeze/reboots started Saturday. Prior to adding that I had not seen any freeze/reboots. I disconnected it last night to see if the reboots go away.

That would be the first. A lot of folks, including myself, have sling adapters and have not seen this. I hope you get it resolved what ever the problem is. That would be driving me nuts!!!

Nope, it was not the sling adapter. It just did it again. This thing is getting to be worthless if it is going to keep rebooting during prime tv recording time. Yet another show with a missing section in the middle. At least it airs again later.

Have you check hard drive temps? Menu, setting,network setup, test, view counters

I thought of heat last night. I did not check the temp counter, but I did feel the box. Left side was cool and the right was not overly warm. If/when it happens again I'll check the actual temp.

Out of the times it has happened, 4 have been during PTAT recording and one was just after with 2 shows recording. Don't know if PTAT has anything to do with it. Could just be because that is when I am watching TV. It may also be rebooting during the day and I don't see it.

Last night I proactively reset the hopper before PTAT started and did not have the freeze/reboot happen. I may just try doing that every evening until S209 hits it.

I did check the temperature. It says the max temp was 123F.

Happened to me twice, once yesterday, once today. I see a message that "my remote is controlling another device, press sat..", even though SAT mode was already on. Then when I hit power to the Hopper, the screen goes black, after about a minute it just reboots.

I got another freeze/reboot today. First it stopped responding to the remote, then after several seconds the hopper rebooted. I called Dish and the tech thought it old be a problem with my surge suppressor. I will pick up a new one today. The existing one is rather old and cheap.

I must say Dish support us nicer to deal with than DirecTV. The tech was easy to talk to, offered a valid suggestion, and set it up so if I called in again today I would be connected back to the same person.

If this does not fix it they will send out a tech and most likely replace the hopper.

He just said try it without one, but did not mention they were not recommended. Unless there is a good reason I would rather not run any electronics without one. One close lightning strike and you have a pile of junk.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)