Hopper Freeze and Reboot

If I am reading your posts correctly, it seems like it will work for a few days then freeze/reboot on its own, right?
Not to hijack the thread, but I think I am seeing the same behavior.

Got Hopper set up just under two weeks. Its locked up four times. One time, I reset it and twice it reset on its own. Most recent time was at 11PM CT this evening. I was downstairs watching something on a Joey, and then about 20 mins later or so, went upstairs to the room with the hopper and turned on the TV and Hopper. Nothing came on but a black screen with the pause button graphic in the upper RH corner. It was not recording anything at the time. Tried turning it off then back on but it would not respond. A couple mins later, it rebooted itself.

An observation, during the time when it was recording PTAT, everything seemed to run a little slower. Once that was over, responsiveness returned. I may disable PTAT and see if it stabilizes. (Probably wont do that till after all the finales air.

I have S209 on my hopper - got it on the 2nd of May. If it happens again, Ill take everyone's advice and contact a DIRT member. (Unless its something I should just go ahead and do now...)

Sometimes it will do it every evening, sometimes it will go a day or two without rebooting. Sometimes it is multiple times in an evening. It usually happens right when turning on the Hopper but it has done it while just watching it.

Ok, then you and I are seeing some similarities. Like when you said "it usually happens right when turning on the Hopper." That is what happened to me last night.

Makes you wonder... should we set our hoppers to just stay on and not go into Standby??

I also PMed DIRT last night. They sent out another tech and replaced the line to the Hopper and the node (per my wife as I was not home). Now to wait and see if it is resolved. As before, I am not calling it fixed until it lasts a week without a reboot.

I got S211 the other day as well. Things seemed rather slow late last night. For some reason, I decided to back up the settings to the remote. After that, it sped up. Not sure if there was a correlation, but after I did that, it was a night and day difference.

Rebooted on me at 9:30PM CT this evening. Wife was watching one Joey, I was watching another, and I think the Hopper was on showing something else. (OK, who forgot to shut off the TV.) All of a sudden, everything went black. Went up to see what was going on, and the hopper was frozen. It rebooted and everything came back up.

Ill be contacting a DIRT member later. Would love to help troubleshoot this in detail for the benefit of all.

Mine is still stable after 6 days (new record). It appeared to have two causes. One was the Regza Link on the Toshiba TV (CEC HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The signals from it were causing Hopper lockups and reboots.

The other was either the Node or the cable run from the Node to the Hopper. Replacing those took care of the rest of the reboots.

Dish and DIRT were very helpful and responsive in fixing this.

New member, just got the Hopper and 3 joeys last Monday. All was well until this morning and it looked like the Hopper was reset to factory last night. No joeys recognized, remotes wouldn't work and now, after resetting with red button several times and "fixing" the receiver settings, it is freezing a couple of times per hour. ANywhere from 5-20 seconds, then resumes without a reboot, but the time was lost, it doesn't start where it froze, as a pause would. Maybe I should go to another thread for the other problems, but will mention them......I cannot get any EHD to work..tried 3 different brands/sizes. Hopper will not recognize any. can only link 2 remotes, the one that came with the Hopper and one of the ones that was on my 922.

I also have a new Hopper and 3 Joeys and last night I had to reboot a frozen Hopper twice. I will have to check my version and post it here.

I'm seeing something a little different. We just got the hopper and 1 joey setup over the weekend. Yesterday for the first time, the hopper unit would freeze for about five to ten seconds, then go back to 'live tv'. We saw it at least three times within a 30 minute window. Not sure off hand which version we are on, but its probably the most recent since it downloaded it on Sunday.

I had a tech out on Sunday and he replaced the cable between the hopper and the node, just as they did for nicholb. So far this seems to have fixed it. Thanks for making this thread and posting your fix nicholb. Saved me a lot of troubleshooting.

I had a tech out on Sunday and he replaced the cable between the hopper and the node, just as they did for nicholb. So far this seems to have fixed it. Thanks for making this thread and posting your fix nicholb. Saved me a lot of troubleshooting.

Glad to help. I always hate problem threads where the OP never posts the eventual fix. One thing the last tech mentioned on mine was the line to the Hopper was not labeled as 3GB even though the installer had told me he was running a 3GB line to it. It is possible the installer grabbed the wrong cable box when he ran it. The tech said the Hopper is very sensitive to the connection between it and the node.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts