Hopper gets very hot!

Yeah, I learned my lesson after my 722 died 2-3 years ago. Ever since, I just put a electric fan to the right of the DVR. It may not look aesthetically pleasing, but it keeps my HWS cool, even during the very hot summer days, and even when the AC is off.

Same with the Joey. I have a USB fan next to it.

As a tech I can tell you that there may be something else wrong besides anything to do with the hopper itself. The last time I ran across a hot to the touch hopper (2months ago) was from a few corroded connectors at the node. What you have happen is the hopper is trying to push power to something that isn't getting it and may or may not show signal issues right away. I suggest checking all the connectors on the install certainly if any of them are outside in weather.

2 HWS, 2 Joeys installed about a month ago(Upgraded from 922,211's) , saw this thread and looking at other posted temps and learning how to check the temps looks like one of my HWS is running a bit hotter than the other.
? temps from report are ......

HWS in Living Room (In a cabinet but plenty ventilation) ....114* High
96* Low
107* Avg

HWS in Mstr Bedrm (Sitting on top of Dresser nothing even close to it, great ventilation ) ....163* High
100* Low
127* Avg

Both hoppers run/operate fine both are powered down with remote (sleep mode) when not in use but the HWS in Mstr bedrm that actually has MORE ventilation is running on AVG 20* Hotter.... long time Dish Customer,Always been satisfied with Dish Service and love the hooper system/technology but Should I be Concerned?.... Suggestions? Thanks

As a tech I can tell you that there may be something else wrong besides anything to do with the hopper itself. The last time I ran across a hot to the touch hopper (2months ago) was from a few corroded connectors at the node. What you have happen is the hopper is trying to push power to something that isn't getting it and may or may not show signal issues right away. I suggest checking all the connectors on the install certainly if any of them are outside in weather.

Excellent info thank you!

Yesterday I received a replacement hopper.
Unit is quiet and warm- not burning hot.

All good!

Thanks for all your input.

2 HWS, 2 Joeys installed about a month ago(Upgraded from 922,211's) , saw this thread and looking at other posted temps and learning how to check the temps looks like one of my HWS is running a bit hotter than the other.
? temps from report are ......

HWS in Living Room (In a cabinet but plenty ventilation) ....114* High
96* Low
107* Avg

HWS in Mstr Bedrm (Sitting on top of Dresser nothing even close to it, great ventilation ) ....163* High
100* Low
127* Avg

Both hoppers run/operate fine both are powered down with remote (sleep mode) when not in use but the HWS in Mstr bedrm that actually has MORE ventilation is running on AVG 20* Hotter.... long time Dish Customer,Always been satisfied with Dish Service and love the hooper system/technology but Should I be Concerned?.... Suggestions? Thanks

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The one receiver seems to have lower than average temps. The other receivers looks to have normal temps. I'm not sure why there is such a difference but the temps do not look concerning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)