Hopper internet connection issues

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Just this afternoon, my Hopper started "freaking out" and saying that my receiver isn't connected to the internet. However, when running the broadband tests, they all pass, and the streaming movies I have set to download are still downloading. However, it won't allow me to search for more movies because the message keeps popping up saying "this feature is only enabled when your receiver is connected to the internet." I have tried doing hard resets on the receiver, unplugging it and plugging it back in, same result. I've also tried wired and wireless connections with the same results.

Anybody else experienced this?

Sounds to me like tech support is deflecting the problem. Personally, I know there is nothing wrong with my ISP. Laptops and Iphones in the house work fine. This is clearly either a software or hardware problem with the Hopper and Dish needs to take ownership of that.

BTW, they still haven't fixed the Dishanywhere.com issues with Firefox. Plugin still crashes. New technology is great, but if it doesn't work, you frustrate the customers and they turn to other options.

The other thing that is happening with my Hopper is more than half of the On Demand movies record as a "black screen." It streams the whole movie/show/etc, but then when you attempt to play it back, it's nothing but a blank screen. Extremely disappointing and frustrating. Stopping/starting and re-starting the event does nothing.

I've had this issue for quite some time.

I stream ondemand a lot in the bedroom, and I've noticed after watching a show, if I go back into ondemand and hit by channel it will spit out the whole "not connected blah blah". Now if I hit by show, instead of the pop up it would show a message in yellow text that said about not connected and press * (or later updates record) to try to re-link which seemed to work. Prior to the update with the message to hit * or record, it wouldn't say anything and I had called in about this fault and they sent a tech out (who agreed with me it's software based). Other than the message the tests and all that showed network connectivity and it was linked to the Hopper.

It still happens every now and then. It happened about 3 nights ago when I started downloading a show and hit watch later, went back to see the list and the system spit out the "not connected" again (and also flaked out in the fact when I went into DVR I could select anything but Rented).

As with you, I know it's not a network issue as every other device was working fine (I have a 1Gbps home lan setup with cat 6 ran to every device including the hopper and joeys and 50/10Mbps cable service). There's no real rhyme or reason to it anymore, but in the past I could pretty much make it happen at will. I really hope they get this fully worked out!

Myself, its the hopper with usb sling and 2 joeys. Granted when I wired it up there was nothing stating not to run ethernet to each device (and this must have been installd pre-default bridge on because without the network lines to the joeys the bb@home and ondemand would work on them). Guessing based on timing and the increase in occurrence, I'd have to say it happend more during the bridge on firmware and then went back to every now and then on the firmwares since then but still happens.. like 3 or 4 nights ago

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Myself, its the hopper with usb sling and 2 joeys. Granted when I wired it up there was nothing stating not to run ethernet to each device (and this must have been installd pre-default bridge on because without the network lines to the joeys the bb@home and ondemand would work on them). Guessing based on timing and the increase in occurrence, I'd have to say it happend more during the bridge on firmware and then went back to every now and then on the firmwares since then but still happens.. like 3 or 4 nights ago

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Do they have bridging on by default now? I had my system installed middle of January, and I had to set up the bridging manually

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)