Hopper/Joey Questions

pmsmith2032

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2013
Chicago, IL
I just placed an order for a DISH installation this coming Saturday (previously had DirecTV) and am trying to understand how Hoppers and Joeys work. Currently we have a HR-20, HR-21 and HR-24 (not a whole house system). We are a family of four (two adults-two kids). Will one Hopper and two Joeys work for us? One of the TVs will be in our master bedroom (where my wife and I normally watch) one in the family room and one in the basement (we haven't bought a TV yet for the basement). Thanks in advance!

Can't answer that question because we don't know your families life style. It looks like you will only have 3 TVs so you can't watch it in 4 places.

Are you buying a tv before Saturday ? If bit get an sd tv so they can hook it up down there . If you record a lot of shows I'd go with 2 hoppers. It all depends on how much tv the family watches. We have two hoppers due to recording conflicts.

Thanks. Just to clarify, if Ihave only one Hopper we could watch TV on all three channels, watch TV on 2 TVs and record something, watch TV on one TV and record two channels, or record three channels, correct? If we just get one hopper and two joeys can we buy another Hopper later (like on Amazon)?

Yes, you can buy another Hopper. You would also need to swap out the mono node for a duo node and perhaps add more wiring. If seriously considering two hoppers it might be easier to order that way from the start.
If you are capable of doing the work yourself like I was, purchasing future expansion would not be a serious problem.

Actually, I was told by the DIRT rep I've been working with that they can't do a 2 hopper and one joey install (2 hopper and 2 joey is the lowest install). He said I could buy a hopper on my own and have it activated, but I would imagine that could be kind of expensive. Looks like I'm stuck with the one hopper/two jowy configuration.

All you need to do is get the 2 Hopper 2 Joey install and when the installer gets there just refuse the second Joey.

Call a local retailer, they can and do these installations all the time. 2 Hoppers only, 2 Hoppers + 1 Joey, no sweat.

It is just Dish directly that is soggy about these kinds of installs. A local retailer will be the ticket for you!
?

How do the two hoppers work? For example if I am watching TV on one hopper can is see programming that I have recorded on another? I can I see the content of both hoppers from the TV connected to the joey?
Also, if I go through a local store, will they still be able to offer me the referral code discount? How does the Prime-Time-Any-Time feature work? Does it use one of the tuners when it is active?

You can see the recording from any location. You will not be able to view a live tuner or set timers from Hopper to Hopper though. You can access any of those features on either Hopper from a Joey though. If you go through a retailer you can still use your referral code. There is no difference in offers from a retailer to Dish directly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts