Hopper/Joey/Super Joey config option help

tecboy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
Cincinnati
Thinking about switching back to Dish ..especially with the Hopper Joey receivers available now (i previously had a 508 DVR years ago)..I have 4 tvs i want to connect for sure, maybe 5. I need more than the 3 tuners with the Hopper but 5 would be enough. Trying to decide if my combo should be Hopper/Super Joey/Joeys for 5 tuners or Hopper/Hopper/Joeys for 6 tuners and double the DVR storage. It sounds like the 2 hopper option is only $2 extra a month vs Hopper/Super Joey. I know when the Hopper first came out that you could have 2 Hoppers but the Joeys had to be assigned to one or the other. Has Dish updated the Hopper software to let 2 Hoppers function together seemlessly and also allow the Joeys to see both without changing configurations?

No, they have not. Full integration 5 tuner system only exists with 1 hopper, 1 superjoey and joeys.
One can add an EHD for extra storage.

Not seamless but a Joey can see either of two Hoppers without much effort, two Hoppers can not see each other as already posted. As much as the Super Joey has some great features, I still think the $2 a month for an additional tuner and back-up should a Hopper fail is a better set-up. If they would (could - poss moca limitation) allow two Hoppers and a Super Joey that would be about the ultimate.

after i posted this....i came across the following info in another post...is this info not correct? My biggest concern would be joeys seeing both hoppers with minimal issues and each hopper being able to play recordings from the other...scheduling timers from each hopper i do not see as an issue...

1 Hopper + 1 Super Joey is 5 tuners, $22/Mo in fees.

2 Hoppers is 6 tuners, $24/Mo in fees.

H + SJ will have 5 integrated tuners, ability to hook up a single OTA adapter.

2H will have 6 tuners, 3 per Hopper, twice the DVR storage, can hook up an OTA adapter on each Hopper. Hoppers can see and manage each others' recordings, but cannot manage each others' timers.

Joeys can manage any Hopper's timers/recordings.

I prefer the full integration, and if storage space is your concern add an ehd and save those recordings as long as you like and even if a your hopper goes south.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The hard drives are much bigger than current Dish receivers and a heck of a lot more that the size used with a 508. You should be able to record around 2,000 hours of HD. It should take some time before needing a EHD especially if you get 2 Hoppers.

my main concern is with the 2 hoppers option...all hoppers and all joeys can see and play all recordings on both hoppers with minimal to no trouble. Scheduling timer on the DVR limitation i read having 2 hoppers and each hopper cant deal with timers on the other hopper isnt a concern. The second hopper rather than super joey gives me an additional tuner for $2 more a month...the increased storage space is a bonus but not doing 2 hopper for this reason...if i am going to "fight" a 2 hopper solution every time i access dvr recordings then it isnt worth the trouble but if 2 hopper integration is 90% working...then that is my direction

my main concern is with the 2 hoppers option...all hoppers and all joeys can see and play all recordings on both hoppers with minimal to no trouble. Scheduling timer on the DVR limitation i read having 2 hoppers and each hopper cant deal with timers on the other hopper isnt a concern. The second hopper rather than super joey gives me an additional tuner for $2 more a month...the increased storage space is a bonus but not doing 2 hopper for this reason...if i am going to "fight" a 2 hopper solution every time i access dvr recordings then it isnt worth the trouble but if 2 hopper integration is 90% working...then that is my direction

What do you mean fight a 2 Hopper solution? Hoppers accessing DVR recordings works great. Trust us, two Hoppers is the way to go and even better yet if you can, install OTA on both of them.

The hard drives are much bigger than current Dish receivers and a heck of a lot more that the size used with a 508. You should be able to record around 2,000 hours of HD. It should take some time before needing a EHD especially if you get 2 Hoppers.

2000 Hrs of SD maybe. HD, I don't think so.

after i posted this....i came across the following info in another post...is this info not correct? My biggest concern would be joeys seeing both hoppers with minimal issues and each hopper being able to play recordings from the other...scheduling timers from each hopper i do not see as an issue...

1 Hopper + 1 Super Joey is 5 tuners, $22/Mo in fees.

2 Hoppers is 6 tuners, $24/Mo in fees.

H + SJ will have 5 integrated tuners, ability to hook up a single OTA adapter.

2H will have 6 tuners, 3 per Hopper, twice the DVR storage, can hook up an OTA adapter on each Hopper. Hoppers can see and manage each others' recordings, but cannot manage each others' timers.

Joeys can manage any Hopper's timers/recordings.

Hopper, Super Joey and Joey would cost $29/mo.

Two Hoppers and a Joey would cost $31/mo.

2000 Hrs of SD maybe. HD, I don't think so.

I'm not sure how many hours of HD you can have recorded but I do know that you can have over 900 shows recorded on one Hopper because that's what I have. Granted, some of the shows I have are SD but the majority are. Most of my recordings are cartoons and movies.

Ok I must be dingy because my two hoppers see each other just fine but I was just on the phone with dish and they said it was impossible now the third one is separated but that was by choice I think these people must be drunk!

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

Ok I must be dingy because my two hoppers see each other just fine but I was just on the phone with dish and they said it was impossible now the third one is separated but that was by choice I think these people must be drunk!

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys

Hoppers can see each other's recording just fine but are not fully integrated. I'm guessing the person at Dish was just confused. It's best just not to talk to them.

what i meant by fighting 2 hopper config...If they are not as integrated as i think they are..i do not want to have to keep changing settings on the Joeys and the hoppers if i want to change access from one hopper to another...but it sounds like the 2 hopper config with joeys...that watching DVR recordings between a joey and the 2 hoppers and each hopper able to see recordings on the other...is fairly seemless....

If one hopper had all its tuners in use...and wanted to watch a channel(not currently using tuners on hopper 1) at a joey...would the joey automatically switch to the other hopper with available tuners?

would i need to do an OTA module in both hoppers?

what i meant by fighting 2 hopper config...If they are not as integrated as i think they are..i do not want to have to keep changing settings on the Joeys and the hoppers if i want to change access from one hopper to another...but it sounds like the 2 hopper config with joeys...that watching DVR recordings between a joey and the 2 hoppers and each hopper able to see recordings on the other...is fairly seemless....

If one hopper had all its tuners in use...and wanted to watch a channel(not currently using tuners on hopper 1) at a joey...would the joey automatically switch to the other hopper with available tuners?

would i need to do an OTA module in both hoppers?

If you are using a Joey and the Hopper it is linked to has all of it's tuners busy then you would need to manually switch to the second Hopper. There a re a couple steps to doing it but is is very simple and generally doesn't happen that often, at least not for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)