Hopper/Joey Wireless

itgoes211

Original poster
Mar 9, 2019
Chesapeake Ohio
I do not have Dish now in my house. I want to get the service with a Hopper 3 and wireless Joeys. My question is can everything work wireless? My cable modem, access point, switch etc are upstairs any my TV's are downstairs. I want to be able to access Netflix etc from the Dish equipment so that would mean wireless.

Thanks

I do not have Dish now in my house. I want to get the service with a Hopper 3 and wireless Joeys. My question is can everything work wireless? My cable modem, access point, switch etc are upstairs any my TV's are downstairs. I want to be able to access Netflix etc from the Dish equipment so that would mean wireless.

Thanks

You need a 3Ghz RG6 coax from the dish to the Hopper 3 but that's it. The rest can be wireless.

And :welcometo the site. :)

Yes, I have a similar setup. Hopper 3 in the living room where the main coax comes into the house, the hopper is connected to the internet service via the wifi connection. There is a Dish WAP (wireless access point) that is plugged into the hopper 3, and the WAP provides the satellite signal to 3 wireless joeys upstairs. Really a very nice system for places where you don't want to drill holes in the walls to run wires. Works great.

Reactions: itgoes211
Yes, I have a similar setup. Hopper 3 in the living room where the main coax comes into the house, the hopper is connected to the internet service via the wifi connection. There is a Dish WAP (wireless access point) that is plugged into the hopper 3, and the WAP provides the satellite signal to 3 wireless joeys upstairs. Really a very nice system for places where you don't want to drill holes in the walls to run wires. Works great.

Thanks so much... I didn't realize when I posted my original question that the Dish created its own wireless network for the Joeys. I "thought" they used my home wifi instead of creating its own wireless. Thanks so much for the info. My install is scheduled for Weds to kind of anxious to see how well I like it.

That's what a lot of people think. I don't if the Sales people use the term WiFi or Wireless, but they're really wireless Joeys

Thanks so much... I didn't realize when I posted my original question that the Dish created its own wireless network for the Joeys. I "thought" they used my home wifi instead of creating its own wireless. Thanks so much for the info. My install is scheduled for Weds to kind of anxious to see how well I like it.
You have to the Dish wireless access point as the wifi signal is encrypted to the Joey's otherwise your neighbor could get free Dish TV from you and of course to protect the content licensing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: HipKat
Another caveat with a wireless Joey, if you house has brick and depending where you are trying to set up the wireless Joey from the Dish WAP, there could be signal strength issues. I had to take the Dish WAP out of the theater tower I had it in and place on floor to right of the cabinet to get a stronger signal back to the wireless Joey. For the wireless Joey, I purchased a 15ft HDMI cable so that the Joey could be moved a little closer to the Dish WAP(better line of sight), then everything was fine.

Another caveat with a wireless Joey, if you house has brick and depending where you are trying to set up the wireless Joey from the Dish WAP, there could be signal strength issues. I had to take the Dish WAP out of the theater tower I had it in and place on floor to right of the cabinet to get a stronger signal back to the wireless Joey. For the wireless Joey, I purchased a 15ft HDMI cable so that the Joey could be moved a little closer to the Dish WAP(better line of sight), then everything was fine.

Very good point, I had to play with placement of the WAP and the Joeys in the upstairs bedrooms as the WAP is on the first floor connected to the Hopper 3 in the living room. I ended up putting the WAP on top of a bookcase and moving the Joeys around checking signal strength to get it working right.

For curiosity sake, I have a Hopper w/sling and considering adding 2 wireless Joeys. From everyone's experience, do the Joeys perform better when paired with a Hopper 3 or will that make a difference. Just debating whether or not to upgrade the Hopper at the same time.

Reactions: joewhite57
For curiosity sake, I have a Hopper w/sling and considering adding 2 wireless Joeys. From everyone's experience, do the Joeys perform better when paired with a Hopper 3 or will that make a difference. Just debating whether or not to upgrade the Hopper at the same time.

The wireless Joeys will pair with the HWS but I would recommend that you do the upgrade to the H3. Your HWS only has 3 tuners so if the Joeys and the Hopper are all watching live TV you won't have any tuners for recording. The H3 is also much faster than a HWS and generally works better.

I might also add to jsheridans response that the wireless joeys even when paired with a H3 are slow in response to remote. Click and count to 3. If I recall the Joey 3 are very fast. There have been other threads describing Joey response times.

Reactions: DWS44 and JSheridan
I might also add to jsheridans response that the wireless joeys even when paired with a H3 are slow in response to remote. Click and count to 3. If I recall the Joey 3 are very fast. There have been other threads describing Joey response times.

True story. That’s my only complaint with ours.

This has not been my experience with the wireless joey. Our wireless joey in the bedroom upstairs seems to be just as responsive to the remote as the Hopper 3 in the living room.

Reactions: joewhite57
Hopper Speed hierarchy in general:

Hopper 3 ? Joey 3 > 4K Joey > HWS > Joey 2 & Wireless Joey > Original Hopper > Commodore 64 > 8086 PC > Abacus > Joey 1

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)