Hopper/ Joeys Screensaver Locks Frequently

mario315

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 20, 2008
Florida
I have 4 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.... In the morning when I turn them on I am finding that about twice a week any 1 of the 6 receivers has the Screensaver locked.... I press "select" to get rid of the screensaver and the screen stays stuck with the DISH message page.... I have to unplug the affected receiver in order to get rid of the screensaver and be able to use the receiver.... Super aggravated with having to do this so often !

I'm assuming this is not normal receiver behavior and thus, would like to know what other troubleshooting steps I need to take (other than unplugging the receivers) in order to stop this recurring morning locking of the screen.... And again, it happens across all the Hoppers and Joeys, just random locking of any one of them at any one time, about twice a week....

Big thanks for any help with this !

Try unplugging all of the Hoppers and Joeys. Plug the Hoppers in first and let them fully reboot before connecting the Joeys.
I've done this a few times in the past and the problem continues... The receivers are working fine, it's just the overnight updates that causes them to lock up on a random basis....

Why does DISH have to stick that promotional screensaver every night ??? No one else (ie. DirecTV, Comcast, U-Verse, etc.) does this !

Try Yellow button --Diagnostics --Updates--Disable. This turns off the inactivity time out screensaver.
That would only be of limited help since the screen saver comes on when the equipment does its nightly reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Chrome.

That would only be of limited help since the screen saver comes on when the equipment does its nightly reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using Chrome.
Thanks, guys, for the replies, but I've always had the inactivity standby disabled and it does nothing to fix it...

I called DISH Advanced Tech Support tonight and they said I needed to replace my 4 Hoppers and 2 Joeys even though they're only 18 months old.... No way !... I'm not going to do that because all 6 receivers can't be going bad all at once... Something else has to be causing this headache...

I'm guessing grounding issue. That is the most common cause of issues of this nature. And considering it is all the receivers, makes sense. Also, just for safe measure(although it likely has nothing to do with it) I would replace the node. That is just my guess though.

I have this same issue. Happens about once a week. There is no way to proceed forward by using select. The only option is to unplug and replug.

This happened to me again this morning. I turned on the box and it was at the select to turn on screen. No way to select. Forced power cycle.

I have this same issue. Happens about once a week. There is no way to proceed forward by using select. The only option is to unplug and replug.
I have this issue on one Joey every couple of weeks or so too. It is the only Joey connected to the hopper. My other hopper and two joeys have not had the issue.

I realize this is an old thread, but I stumbled across it while trying to figure out another Joey issue (up/down cursor double jumping while trying to edit a timer).

This might help others: My Joey frequently locks up on the screen saver after overnight idle when the Dish remote battery is dead. I use a Harmony 99% of the time, and the dish remote is sitting in a nearby drawer. I even tried un-pairing the dish remote and I still get the Joey screen saver lockups. Only way to fix is to make sure the dish remote is paired and has good batteries.

Reactions: Rixos
Wow that would be a really interesting find if it works - the Joey in my master bedroom locks up frequently (2-3 times a week) and I only use a Harmony with that one. I'll try new batteries in the remote tonight!

I have had this same problem with my Hopper 1 for many months. I also never use my Dish remote because I use a Harmony. I will have to try a battery change to see if that helps. It would be weird that a dead remote battery would even prevent pressing Select right on the Hopper from working...

Worked for me. Two things before getting a replacement joey! 1: put new batteries in joeys remote even if you are using universal remote with it. still put new batteries in original remote. 2: do not plug joey to a surge protector outlet ( dish told me this one )
Mine was always freezing on screensaver but after doing these two solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)