Hopper Plus / Joey 4 users check in here!

Unbelievable!!!! Day one after WJ4 replacement and my Vizio failed to start this morning. Had black screen and sound. Plugged HDMI cable into test TV and same thing. Pull the cord reboot got her going. There is something in that Vizio TV causing this issue after the nightly updates. Going to leave the HDMI connected to test TV for now.
Well, performing another experiment. Flip flopped my WJ4 and J4 locations. J4 is now located at the bedroom Vizio TV that has issues with Initial startup of the day having black screen and sound. Will see how goes it in the morning. Maybe this TV will like a Joey 4 better than Wireless Joey 4. The WJ4 that was in bedroom is now out in my garage. WAP signal strength is only 23 to 29 but she is still working so far. Does anyone know how low the WAP signal strength can go before a WJ4 has issues?

Well, performing another experiment. Flip flopped my WJ4 and J4 locations. J4 is now located at the bedroom Vizio TV that has issues with Initial startup of the day having black screen and sound. Will see how goes it in the morning. Maybe this TV will like a Joey 4 better than Wireless Joey 4. The WJ4 that was in bedroom is now out in my garage. WAP signal strength is only 23 to 29 but she is still working so far. Does anyone know how low the WAP signal strength can go before a WJ4 has issues?
Vizio TV that has the initial daily startup black screen with sound failed again this morning with my J4 attached. This TV has failed with three WJ4s, swap out with a known good J4 & WJ4, and at least four different HDMI cables. What could be causing this issue? Is there a TV or Joey setting I can change? It appears there is something in the nightly updates upsetting my Vizio TV. Another SatGuy member is having same problem with his brand new Samsung TV. Does anybody have a clue?

Vizio TV that has the initial daily startup black screen with sound failed again this morning with my J4 attached. This TV has failed with three WJ4s, swap out with a known good J4 & WJ4, and at least four different HDMI cables. What could be causing this issue? Is there a TV or Joey setting I can change? It appears there is something in the nightly updates upsetting my Vizio TV. Another SatGuy member is having same problem with his brand new Samsung TV. Does anybody have a clue?
:deadhorse2I already gave you a answer to your problem, granted it's not the one you want to hear but.....:)

So I called my local AV retailer (where I bought my new Samsung that seems to be having the issue). And told them about the issues I've been having with the Joey 4 and everything I have tried to get it to work. He wrote me back with this response...

"We would try this next - Amazon product ASIN B07BFL8TM8
View: https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-HDMI-CEC-Less-Adapter/dp/B07BFL8TM8/
If that doesn't work, we would try this - Amazon product ASIN B09NPWKQYC
View: https://www.amazon.com/Emulator-Prophecy-Programmable-Amplifies-Equalizes/dp/B09NPWKQYC/
It does look like this is a specific issue with the Joey 4 and the new Samsung TVs so it may eventually be resolved with a software update but there is no guarantee."

So I told them I would try these two things and if it didn't work he said they would replace my Samsung with an LG or something that doesn't have issues with the Joey 4.

Reactions: charlesrshell
So I called my local AV retailer (where I bought my new Samsung that seems to be having the issue). And told them about the issues I've been having with the Joey 4 and everything I have tried to get it to work. He wrote me back with this response...

"We would try this next - Amazon product ASIN B07BFL8TM8
View: https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-HDMI-CEC-Less-Adapter/dp/B07BFL8TM8/
If that doesn't work, we would try this - Amazon product ASIN B09NPWKQYC
View: https://www.amazon.com/Emulator-Prophecy-Programmable-Amplifies-Equalizes/dp/B09NPWKQYC/
It does look like this is a specific issue with the Joey 4 and the new Samsung TVs so it may eventually be resolved with a software update but there is no guarantee."

So I told them I would try these two things and if it didn't work he said they would replace my Samsung with an LG or something that doesn't have issues with the Joey 4.
Already tried the HDMI CEC Less Adapter on my problem Vizio with no results. I have a HDMI splitter will try out. Post back tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230131_153624.jpg
    20230131_153624.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 56
I am having major problems with the Plus again. Freezing up changing settings at night jumping to live the list goes on and on. I am ready to pull the plug on at least the plus if not Dish! I am going to try only streaming for a few days calm down and re evaluate. I see Dish losing a lot of customers!

Yesterday was my first full day trying to stream only. Its very mixed so far.

What I liked was
  • A much better picture and sound quality
  • A truly uninterrupted program
  • Ability to catchup on past episodes
  • News was much easier to watch only certain segments like weather only
  • Extra content on a movie or show like trailers director/cast interviews
What I disliked was
  • Very hard to find a show (remembering which streaming service its on and on what day)
  • Have to wait to watch it at least a day
  • Even with a paid subscription a couple of shows were not available to watch at all!

I find this a big issue for me too. Been using a yellow sticky for right now. Will probably develope a spread sheet to keep up with things.
I wish someone would make a Global Favorites List. I find so many good channels which are streaming but with so many streaming apps I have a hard time finding the channels I like. If I could find them and click and add those channels to a global favorites list it would be awesome. Just click the channel I like and have the proper app open to the channel I want.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! If it works tomorrow let me know what splitter you used.
jgags6 thanks. Look at my post #387. That is the splitter I had in my stock that I don't use anymore. It is close to what Samsung told you to try for your Samsung. So I am trying it out too. I sure hope it works again in the morning. I still have a suspicion it has something to do with the nightly updates that my Vizio and maybe your Samsung too that causes the initial startup of the day issue. The few times my Vizio did work properly maybe there wasn't a nightly update for the day. Time will tell.

jgags6 thanks. Look at my post #387. That is the splitter I had in my stock that I don't use anymore. It is close to what Samsung told you to try for your Samsung. So I am trying it out too. I sure hope it works again in the morning. I still have a suspicion it has something to do with the nightly updates that my Vizio and maybe your Samsung too that causes the initial startup of the day issue. The few times my Vizio did work properly maybe there wasn't a nightly update for the day. Time will tell.
Don't happen to have the ability to easily hook one side of that splitter up to an AVR do you by chance? I just tried one and it only passes 2.0 audio even though its rated to up to 4k on the video side.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I wish someone would make a Global Favorites List. I find so many good channels which are streaming but with so many streaming apps I have a hard time finding the channels I like. If I could find them and click and add those channels to a global favorites list it would be awesome. Just click the channel I like and have the proper app open to the channel I want.
The Plex app has a search feature that shows you where a show is located.Supposedly soon it will take you directly there.Hopefully not "Dish soon".

The Plex app has a search feature that shows you where a show is located.Supposedly soon it will take you directly there.Hopefully not "Dish soon".
Not a show... a channel.
For example Local now has a 80's music video channel I love. There is another music video channel I love on PlutoTV... I would love to set them all as favorite channels so I can watch without having to remember which service it on.

Plex's attempt is half boiled and unfortunately is starting to be blocked, for example Amazon is trying to block its search features on FireTV sticks.

With so many GREAT free offerings out there its becoming hard to find what you want to watch or where you found it.

Not a show... a channel.
For example Local now has a 80's music video channel I love. There is another music video channel I love on PlutoTV... I would love to set them all as favorite channels so I can watch without having to remember which service it on.

Plex's attempt is half boiled and unfortunately is starting to be blocked, for example Amazon is trying to block its search features on FireTV sticks.

With so many GREAT free offerings out there its becoming hard to find what you want to watch or where you found it.
AMEN to that Scott. I hope something comes out. I guess I am going to make some kind of spread sheet to keep up with the apps, shows, episodes, etc. I can't read my own sticky notes haft the time. Wife is getting upset at me.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
Not a show... a channel.

I have accidentally run a crossed something I really liked and then life gets in the way (and old age forgetfulness) I search and search for hours for it! The Plus at least puts MOST of the services together but fails in reminders and favorites of these streaming services. Come out with a box that does this and imagine the amount of people you would get! begging for it for years to come young and old!