Hopper Plus new hardware??

So nothing about the ota guide problems we have been suffering with for the last 4 years? I thought that you might talk about it to Charlie.

I did talk about it and they are fully aware of it. They are working with Gracenote on it. Although they feel Gracenote is not working fast enough on it.

The issue is now there are only two guide providers left with Gracenote being one of them.

I saw it listed on the Google Play store. I hope it behaves like my subscription on the Roku in the MBR. My Sony will only show clips. I’d like to be able to watch Acorn on the Sony. The Plus MIGHT be the ticket. I’ll probably wait for someone to try that before I get one - but how many folks subscribe to Acorn TV?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, gee. After reading what I wrote, I decided to engage brain before putting fingers (or mouth) in gear. Again.

I had searched on the Sony TV for Acorn TV but got just previews. Just realized if it’s on the Play Store for the Plus, it oughta be there for the Sony. So I went to the Play Store on the Sony and installed the Acorn TV app. And Bob’s your uncle.

SWMBO is pleased.

I saw it listed on the Google Play store. I hope it behaves like my subscription on the Roku in the MBR. My Sony will only show clips. I’d like to be able to watch Acorn on the Sony. The Plus MIGHT be the ticket. I’ll probably wait for someone to try that before I get one - but how many folks subscribe to Acorn TV?
Thanks again. I thought maybe there is a list of all apps the Hopper Plus will have. I am a little new to all this here apps world.

I do and Britbox also

Reactions: navychop

there was a story out a few months ago that said both have about a million subscriber each.

Last edited:
Reactions: navychop
I did talk about it and they are fully aware of it. They are working with Gracenote on it. Although they feel Gracenote is not working fast enough on it.

The issue is now there are only two guide providers left with Gracenote being one of them.
What provider does Sling tv use? They seem to do a wonderful job providing all guide information for both ota channels and sub channels and it is instantaneous by internet and using Air tv device. You add the ota channels and the guide is instantly added with the complete guide going out days. Same company they can't borrow the tech from them?

What provider does Sling tv use? They seem to do a wonderful job providing all guide information for both ota channels and sub channels and it is instantaneous by internet and using Air tv device. You add the ota channels and the guide is instantly added with the complete guide going out days. Same company they can't borrow the tech from them?
Same provider. The issue is (if I understand the way DVB satellite works) is there can only be so many IDs transmitted and DISH does not have enough rom to broadcast all the sub channels guide data.
They were looking into delivering the extra via IP, but the number of DISH customers with OTA setups are so low that its not a high priority.

Also nothing in the works at the moment for ATSC 3.0 tuners. :(

Same provider. The issue is (if I understand the way DVB satellite works) is there can only be so many IDs transmitted and DISH does not have enough rom to broadcast all the sub channels guide data.
They were looking into delivering the extra via IP, but the number of DISH customers with OTA setups are so low that its not a high priority.

Also nothing in the works at the moment for ATSC 3.0 tuners. :(
Ok ,but what I am suggesting is using the same tech as Sling tv with their Air tv device plus internet. It uses the actual ota channels ids to link it to the guide data. It is correct for my ota channels and sub channels and it would mean that DISH would no longer have to transmit the ota guide at all. Then if you want guide data you would just enable internet to your receiver and it would work for all you ota channels. IF Sling tv can do this why can't DISH using say a Air tv two tuner device or even the 4 tuner device? Let Air tv supply the tech and the guide data for the ota channels. Then you would have a true universal device that works for both companies that DISH runs.

Wonder how long until Dish begins selling service fully via streaming, no satellite dish necessary, and just gives customers a standalone Hopper Plus (no Hopper 3 needed) for each TV? The Hopper Plus obviously already supports Dish's few linear channels that are transmitted only via streaming, not sat, e.g. HBO Signature. I assume the Hopper Plus has enough on-board flash storage to cache live streams of linear channels so that they can be paused and rewound for at least 30 minutes. The Dish VOD platform is already streaming-based, so no work needs to be done there.

The only remaining step, I think, would be for them to take the cloud DVR system that they've already developed for Sling and use that as a back-end system for the Hopper Plus, so that it would rely on cloud DVR in standalone mode rather than using the local DVR in a connected Hopper 3. Probably just a bit of coding would need to be done to connect the Hopper Plus UI to the back-end cloud DVR servers.

My guess is that Dish even has the rights to do this in place with all the channels they carry. Obviously, they have those rights in place for the channels carried on Sling, which is pretty much the entirety of the Dish line-up except for locals.