Hopper remote question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bha19

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
usa
I have programmed my remote for my tv, dvd and receiver. My question is do I have to turn off each device separately or is there a way to get it to turn off all at once?

I have programmed my remote for my tv, dvd and receiver. My question is do I have to turn off each device separately or is there a way to get it to turn off all at once?
The remote isn't smart enough to remember what's on and what's off. The best it can hope for typically is to toggle the power state for a single device.

Being sure that you've turned something off is not an option with many devices as they don't feature discrete on and off signals; only a power switch signal.

and that's why I love my Harmony... ;)

I have harmony too and love it except the charging base sucks. I have 2 harmony remotes and only 1 charger works, but even then I have to sometimes jiggle the remote to make the connections. Also harmony won't always scroll to the correct input on my T.V.

I have harmony too and love it except the charging base sucks. I have 2 harmony remotes and only 1 charger works, but even then I have to sometimes jiggle the remote to make the connections. Also harmony won't always scroll to the correct input on my T.V.

which harmony do you have?

The remote isn't smart enough to remember what's on and what's off. The best it can hope for typically is to toggle the power state for a single device.

Being sure that you've turned something off is not an option with many devices as they don't feature discrete on and off signals; only a power switch signal.
This isn't really the issue. State tracking is nice, as are harmony remotes. But the fact is that nearly every cable and satellite remote except Dish can do the simple power macros the OP wants. They can get out of sync, but work perfectly well most of the time. All the OP needs is an $8 universal from Best Buy or Radio Shack or Amazon or where ever. Even an old cable TV remote will control Dish and do the power macro as well.

You can spend a lot more, and get a lot more from a Harmony, but it isn't required for this simple functionality.

If you have some harmony troubles like bha19, first things to do are switch to input method 2 if possible and turn off any HDMI-CEC and adjust your inter-key delays.

I have 2 harmony 880 and my biggest problem is the charging base making a poor connection and not charging. The second base will charge like I said if the remote is placed just right. Now that I have the hopper the tech gave me a different input mode. My tv has 3 hdmi all together and a total of I think about 6 or 7 total inputs. When I could get my harmony to work the only way it did was to cycle through all the inputs but it sometimes ended up on the wrong input. I think this is because my dvd and roku have different inputs and how does harmony know what input I started on.
So far hopper remote is not too bad, especially compared to my old dish remote.

I have 2 harmony 880 and my biggest problem is the charging base making a poor connection and not charging. The second base will charge like I said if the remote is placed just right. Now that I have the hopper the tech gave me a different input mode. My tv has 3 hdmi all together and a total of I think about 6 or 7 total inputs. When I could get my harmony to work the only way it did was to cycle through all the inputs but it sometimes ended up on the wrong input. I think this is because my dvd and roku have different inputs and how does harmony know what input I started on.
So far hopper remote is not too bad, especially compared to my old dish remote.

I just retired my old 880 for a harmony 900. They definitely tend to have that problem. The charging base for the 900 and harmony one is much improved. I like the 900 as it has the 4 colored buttons you have on the dish remote. Maybe that can be an option for you.

I guess it's all what you get used to.....
The thing about the Harmony remotes is that every time they come out with a new remote, they move the buttons around. The latest tragedy involves placing most of the transport controls to the tippy-top of the remote but having the jump, guide and color buttons at the opposite end of the remote. The 650 layout places the transport controls around your thumb.

DVRs arguably represent the most intensive use of a remote so they should be laid out in such a way to make DVR use the most economical in terms of finger travel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)