Hopper S213 Feedback and Issues

One day one and day two of the S213 upgrade, I had to use the reset button several times. I'm on day 4 now and have not had to do a reset the last two days. Have not had any other problems. In fact the only problem I've had since the install of my hopper set up is constantly losing connection with the internet and not being able to access the weather app or blockbuster. Other devices are connected and working to the internet so I don't think its my connection.

Thanks, disconnecting the wireless seemed to work yesterday. Haven't checked it today. The DishNetwork subscribers that don't have access to Satellite-guys have to be going crazy with this release. "John"

I spoke too soon. The Hopper I removed the WI-FI from cannot connect to the network even after a reset.

When I came home and PTAT kicked in tonight a box popped up with I believe error 4. The gist of the message was that to change a channel press the guide button and if I continue seeing this message please perform a RBR. I pushed guide and the error message was not evident in the little window view, but when I pushed cancel the popup box came up right in the middle of the screen with no way to cancel it. I did not want to RBR as I had some stuff taping that I wanted to watch, so I selected a DVR program and started watching it it. I then stopped and went to Live TV and the pop up box never reappeared. More oddness on S213.

I just had the hopper PTAT lockup issue / lost recording issue with PTAT and Hell's Kitchen. I can play the first 5 minutes or so and then lockup, popup box about a portion of my recording has been lost, followed by a black screen. The wife is getting pissed about these lost recordings on network TV (its not like this is cable where they replay several times in case a recording is missed).

DISH / DIRT PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS! ROLL US BACK TO S212 OR GET SOMETHING IN THE STREAM ASAP!

Last edited:
Hopper S213
Joey S265
Transceiver Firmware 005a
Boot Strap 1212

For the past week I have had tech after tech at my house changing parts trying to fix this system. I have a 1/1 system and the joey will not stay connected to the hopper. The first visit they came out thinking it would take a few seconds to reset both boxes (being in a rush, they did not backup my timers). Five hours later and a new joey the guy got mad and said they would come out the next day. This was confirmed online they would be out between noon and five. At five that day I looked back online and it was changed to today between noon and five. The guy came today, threw in a new hopper looked at it for a minute or two and left. Still not working. I called back and now I have another scheduled appointment with two techs and a field service manager. Do I need to draw them a diagram on how to hook this up correctly using a HIC, proper node and proper wiring. I know they are going to half ass it again because its going to be over 100 degrees and all the wiring is in my attic where it will be well over 120. How many times can I let these people in my house to guess what is wrong?

I am having the same problem it has done it every day since the update to s213 I have to unplug the Hopper to get it to work it will not record anything with out doing this also getting the channels but will not let me select then it goes into the little window I am going to change my name on this forum to Hopper Beta Tester !

Intermittent joey

For those having Joey connection problems, do your Joey's have connections to both Coax (MOCA) and ethernet?

I have similar problems when Joey's are connected to both, but not when I move the Joey to only one network. I think that S213 introduced a bridge loop or some other L2 problem in the network, which is resolved by physically limiting the number of paths. I chose to use ethernet only (at the Joey), so that I can still access home media. No problems with connectivity since.

Just remove one connection and then reset the entire network (Hoppers and Joeys).

I just got a hopper Joey install 2 weeks ago that seemed to work fine with wireless broadband initially
then started getting screen freeze ups around the time of s213 upgrade. Called dish and tech spent all day rewiring and swapping receivers to no avail. Base on the post above, I then noticed improvement when wireless USB was disconnected so I hooked up Wired rj45 connection. Still no joy.

As long as any wired or wireless broadband is connected to either hopper or joey
the Joey starts dropping out and freezing up. No broadband connection at all and
joey works fine. Hopper always works fine.

Dish tech is stumped. Any thoughts anyone?

We have a 1 Hopper, 3 Joey system in our house. We experienced the small window thing, but a rbr fixed that. Since then, the system is working flawlessly. So, it seems to me it's the multiple Hopper systems having trouble. As a side note, I had never attempted to connect to our network with any of the Joeys. They now work flawlessly with the internet connection of the Hopper. The Hopper is using a wireless connection.

I think you are right about the multiple hopper house holds experiencing the problems. I have one hopper and two joeys and KNOCK ON WOOD, haven't seen any of the issues discussed here. I did disconnect the joeys from the direct ethernet connections I had them plugged into. After doing that I reset the hopper network and they all show connected to the internet.

I think you are right about the multiple hopper house holds experiencing the problems. I have one hopper and two joeys and KNOCK ON WOOD, haven't seen any of the issues discussed here. I did disconnect the joeys from the direct ethernet connections I had them plugged into. After doing that I reset the hopper network and they all show connected to the internet.

I'm amazed at the variety of results begin reported about Network and Internet connectivity. I removed the second internet connection from a Hopper and now that Hopper and 2 linked Joeys show no Home Network or Internet connection yet the system works perfectly, including the ability to download from BB@H on all boxes. Go figure.

Ok I'm having to red button reset every morning . I think I have my set up right. I have 2 hoppers one is connect to my router the other hopper was connected by a USB

ONE ethernet connection is all that is needed. TWO causes problems. (I'm assuming you are not using an isolator.)

I had the same problem. I had to unplug the USB Wireles adapter from my Basement Hopper. My Office Hopper still is connected with ethernet cable directly to my router. Once I did unplugged the USB Wireless Adapter form my Basement Hoppers and Joeys stay linked. I have 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys.

Yeah Curt

I had to unplug the USB Wireles adapter from my Basement Hopper. My Office Hopper still is connected with ethernet cable directly to my router. Once I did unplugged the USB Wireless Adapter form my Basement Hoppers and Joeys stay linked. I have 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys.
Yeah Curt

I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but I can't find it. So sorry to ask, but...I have 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. I had both Hoppers connected with wireless adapters (router on opposite side of house from both) Do I need to keep both connected? After 213 update I tried to disconnect one and it didn't seem to work on that hopper or any of the Joeys. I have read so much about all of this that it just seems to confuse me more. Thanks to anyone that can tell me the best way to hook everything up right.

karspur said:
I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but I can't find it. So sorry to ask, but...I have 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. I had both Hoppers connected with wireless adapters (router on opposite side of house from both) Do I need to keep both connected? After 213 update I tried to disconnect one and it didn't seem to work on that hopper or any of the Joeys. I have read so much about all of this that it just seems to confuse me more. Thanks to anyone that can tell me the best way to hook everything up right.

Is there an Ethernet connection any where close to one of the 4 Joeys?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

stimpson said:
Is there an Ethernet connection any where close to one of the 4 Joeys?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

About 6 feet or so. If I connect 1 Joey does that work for everything? Like I said, I'm just getting so confused.

About 6 feet or so. If I connect 1 Joey does that work for everything? Like I said, I'm just getting so confused.
I haven't tested myself, but I don't think the Joeys can act as bridges. You would probably need a HIC at the Joey location.

sparc said:
I haven't tested myself, but I don't think the Joeys can act as bridges. You'd need a HIC at the Joey location.

I tried and tried to get a HIC at the time of installation but got the wireless instead. At the time things worked so I gave up. Guess that was my first mistake...

As long as I have any single broadband connected whether by wire or wireless
the Joey starts freezing up. No broadband connected, no problems.

This seems to be interference between the internet packets and the video stream in the moca coax itself.
Any thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)