Hopper S400 Joey S298 Released

I would have expected the HWS to have the same s/w revision, or higher, at release and always stay ahead (even if internally the codebase was 99% the same other than the Sling-related stuff).

Yah S246 to S400 is a big jump. HwS only went from S311 to S315. Joey started at S259 or so so I guess they didn't want the Hopper SW to start sharing numbers with old Joey SW. With Joey being at S298 now I bet the next Joey update will be S45x, S5xx or some other new number. Since S3xx was never used before I guess HwS will remain on S3xx until the numbers run out.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

The speed hasn't increased channel changing that I've noticed. I do like the new screen though. Much easier to see what the tuners are doing.

I just noticed a change in behavior in saved recordings in the PTAT folder. I had a show in PTAT that was also saved. I watched it from the PTAT folder and when I deleted it it also deleted it from the My Recordings folder. This is new and IMO, good. Then I watched a saved PTAT show from the My Recordings folder. When I deleted it it did not delete the show in the PTAT folder but it did remove the "S" flag from the show. I don't know about this one.

Seems like they are getting ready to finally add the ability to jump to any of the 6 tuners in a standard 2 hopper system.

No proof...just a hunch...

Then I'm please with my decision to go ahead with the pain and do a FULL scan again just so I could get 13.3, which is the MOVIES channel. Of course, it would have been nice not to have to rename several of those OTA's again. Darn! TiVo automatically scans for new OTA's and will notify you and give you the option of adding them to your list. I just feel like OTA is not really given much due at Echostar or Dish.

BTW, I saw on Zatz that Echostar will once again design and produce Channel Master's forthcoming OTA DVR. It is supposed to include OTT services, but those services were not officially named. It would be nice if the new DVR is much more like the ViP series and NOT the original My Pal platform. The current Channel Master OTA DVR model had a different company produce it and it added a $100 per year fee to have "enhanced" guide data. I sure would like to see a NO fee OTA DVR with functionality and features similar to TiVo or ViP's, especially Name Based Recording, that none of the previous Channel Master DVR's have ever had.

Last edited:
I just noticed a change in behavior in saved recordings in the PTAT folder. I had a show in PTAT that was also saved. I watched it from the PTAT folder and when I deleted it it also deleted it from the My Recordings folder. This is new and IMO, good. Then I watched a saved PTAT show from the My Recordings folder. When I deleted it it did not delete the show in the PTAT folder but it did remove the "S" flag from the show. I don't know about this one.

I've gotta correct this. When I deleted a saved show I watched in the PTAT folder it did not delete the copy in the My Recordings folder. I just missed it.

Then I'm please with my decision to go ahead with the pain and do a FULL scan again just so I could get 13.3, which is the MOVIES channel. Of course, it would have been nice not to have to rename several of those OTA's again. Darn! TiVo automatically scans for new OTA's and will notify you and give you the option of adding them to your list. I just feel like OTA is not really given much due at Echostar or Dish.

Keep an eye on your timers, if you had any setup for the OTA channels. Every time I've done a full rescan, my existing timers on OTA channels had to be deleted and re-created, as the existing timers would no longer record anything. I haven't done a rescan in some time, so perhaps this has been fixed by now, but I know at least a couple other folks have posted having this issue in the past.

Keep an eye on your timers, if you had any setup for the OTA channels. Every time I've done a full rescan, my existing timers on OTA channels had to be deleted and re-created, as the existing timers would no longer record anything. I haven't done a rescan in some time, so perhaps this has been fixed by now, but I know at least a couple other folks have posted having this issue in the past.

OH yeah! Any time you make ANY changes in your ota section ,including even editing a channel name or deleting a channel , you have to re-create ALL timers and delete the older ones because they will no longer work. This is the one thing I hate about the hopper and the ota usb dongle. At least the 722k and even the older 722/622 did not suffer from this problem and you could even add a single channel without having to do a re-scan every fricking time.

I hope the Dish folks are making note of these OTA timer issues. It's very possible it's simply not something they considered.

Just curious, since the Hopper and 922 seemingly shared some of the same codebase, does it suffer from this problem as well ?

I hate to sound dumb, But how do you change a DNLA. Should I start another thread about this issue? Sorry, I forgot to say this is what lucky86 said for me to do.

.......BTW, I saw on Zatz that Echostar will once again design and produce Channel Master's forthcoming OTA DVR. It is supposed to include OTT services, but those services were not officially named. It would be nice if the new DVR is much more like the ViP series and NOT the original My Pal platform. The current Channel Master OTA DVR model had a different company produce it and it added a $100 per year fee to have "enhanced" guide data. I sure would like to see a NO fee OTA DVR with functionality and features similar to TiVo or ViP's, especially Name Based Recording, that none of the previous Channel Master DVR's have ever had.

I'm quite happy with my Pal DVR but I know it won't last forever. I'm happy with it's ability to use PSIP. Of course, TVGOS would be better, but we'll never see that OTA again. For where we keep it (at RV for part of the year), I'm not interested in paying for an EPG, and there's not much Internet service there. Good to see there's enough market to keep such boxes coming, and to have an alternative to TIVO.

PSIP capability is a necessity for us, and the Pal provides it and it's the only guide we have up there. Oddly, our Sharp TV does not in any way provide PSIP data. I thought that was a requirement.

"OTT?" Over The Top? Please educate me.

I hate to sound dumb, But how do you change a DNLA. Should I start another thread about this issue? Sorry, I forgot to say this is what lucky86 said for me to do.[/QUOTE

Getting 2 Hoppers With Sling on Monday. 1$ charge for paperwork. Had to renew 2 year contract. Will see if Home Media works with new Hoppers. Said old Hoppers were having trouble with Home Media. The guy even spoke English!

Is this still rolling out to add'l receivers ?

Odd that S247 was pushed just a couple of weeks ago and Dish made such a substantial jump in revision so soon...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)