HOPPER SNAP

Update: I managed to get the U715 on the 2nd try. I plugged in the Snap module and turned the HWS on. The first thing I saw was the box that said the Snap was installed and working. Paging through the program guide was literally a snap since it was near instant. I'll have to continue my testing to see what else is speeded up. I did notice my wired Joey 2 was completely messed up but a system reset (which took an unusually long time) remedied that. I noticed the Joey didn't seem to benefit from the snap perhaps because it also needs a firmware update.

At this point, I would say that the Snap module is ready for prime time.

Update: I managed to get the U715 on the 2nd try. I plugged in the Snap module and turned the HWS on. The first thing I saw was the box that said the Snap was installed and working. Paging through the program guide was literally a snap since it was near instant. I'll have to continue my testing to see what else is speeded up. I did notice my wired Joey 2 was completely messed up but a system reset (which took an unusually long time) remedied that. I noticed the Joey didn't seem to benefit from the snap perhaps because it also needs a firmware update.

At this point, I would say that the Snap module is ready for prime time.
Sounds like you and I made the same mistake. Just for me it was based on acting like Mr. Magoo with it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I did notice my wired Joey 2 was completely messed up but a system reset (which took an unusually long time) remedied that. I noticed the Joey didn't seem to benefit from the snap perhaps because it also needs a firmware update.
You will see a difference with the next software update :D

Update 2: As I indicated previously, the snap module made a world of difference paging through the menu. However, calling up program info and turning the Hopper on remained sluggish. That changed the next day, when I turned the HWS on today it started right up and I quickly had a picture. Also, displaying program info was a lot faster. I don't really know why it took a day for this speedup since I didn't notice any updates.

I think that may be it for the Snap module, didn't add anything new, but was supposed to speed up existing functionality and it certainly did that.

I suppose with the Snap you can now think of the HWS as an H3 with fewer tuners... But you still have the red recording light.

Edit: I should mention that I have yet to notice any performance improvement in my Joey 2 or my wireless Joey, but I consider their current performance to be acceptable.

Last edited:
I received mine today. Quite a difference on menu and guide speed on the HWS. A somewhat less pronounced (but still noticeable difference on the Joeys. No negative effects noticed but Ijhave seen issues solved by and created by the nightly guide download. So we will see. I will report again later in the week.

BTW my wife was amused by the address label. I am not sure which member of the Greczkowski family was responsible but it took my wife about 5 minutes to recover.

No real update here. The HWS is much faster. Some change on my Jey 2s but not as dramatic as on the HWS. Overall I am satisfied and will let DISH and Scott know if I have any issues or see any changes with future software upgrades.

Like the others the Snap continues to do what its intended for here, speeding up the menus, etc. The Joey performance is noticeably faster, but not as snappy as the H2.
For me, I noticed no improvement in my Joey2 performance and I'm on the attest f
Like the others the Snap continues to do what its intended for here, speeding up the menus, etc. The Joey performance is noticeably faster, but not as snappy as the H2.
I obviously don't have an understanding of how things work. Why would the Snap module affect Joey performance without a software update?
I have U751 on the Joey2 which i believe is the latest version and the Snap module had no effect on Joey performance.

I obviously don't have an understanding of how things work. Why would the Snap module affect Joey performance without a software update?

That is an excellent question. If the video is all generated on the Hopper and merely presented on the Joey, then that might explain how the Snap can accelerate both. But I believe I convinced myself that the Netflix app runs on the Joey separately from the Hopper. (At least it requires a separate login to your Netflix account.) So, perhaps the menus within an app are generated on the Joey, while the regular menus are generated by the Hopper.

I have U751 on the Joey2 which i believe is the latest version and the Snap module had no effect on Joey performance.
I'm guessing that the EPG, etc, graphics are generated in the H2 and sent to the Joey for display. My wife and I both noticed the improvement, and we both agree it's not as snappy as the H2 itself. Scott has mentioned an upcoming update that should improve the performance, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it does.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)