HOPPER SNAP

I'm having a majorly annoying issue while changing channels. No matter the speed of changing channels, the banner keeps flickering back and forth between the channel I've switched to and the previous channel. Sometimes alternating between them up 3 times before displaying the channel. I wonder if the Snap would fix this on top of all of the other issues and slowdowns elsewhere?

I'm having a majorly annoying issue while changing channels. No matter the speed of changing channels, the banner keeps flickering back and forth between the channel I've switched to and the previous channel. Sometimes alternating between them up 3 times before displaying the channel. I wonder if the Snap would fix this on top of all of the other issues and slowdowns elsewhere?

Hello Mr_X! We can absolutely review the issues you're encountering and provide you with the best solution to get things up to speed. Please reach out to our Chat team by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist!

I was having the same problem. I bought a Snap at Dish Depot. The problem is somewhat fixed, but not completely. Also, when opening up folders in the DVR menu, sometimes I would get the "line of moving squares" - meaning the Hopper was accessing data. Sometimes this would go on for so long I had to back out of the menu and get back in to access the recording. This seems to be a little better since I got the Snap, though this may be wishful thinking since I don't even know if the Snap helps with this problem.
Something else that has happened since I got the Snap, sometimes when I enter the program guide or the DVR menu, the picture will black out and the sound will pause for a few seconds and when it comes back on, the channel has switched from HD to SD. Changing the channel up one, fixes it.

Last edited:
I purchased the Hopper Snap for my Hopper (Original Model). Including shipping it was less than 20.00 from Dish Depot. Made a big difference. I wanted something to hold me over until I decide if I am going to cut the cord with Dish and get several streaming services. The number one reason I stay with Dish is all the recordings I have which I think will stop working if I drop Dish. If Dish still had HBO I would probably stay. Without HBO I only watch 2 channels on Dish. 50.00 per month for 2 channels is ridiculous.

Reactions: Howard Simmons
I purchased the Hopper Snap for my Hopper (Original Model). Including shipping it was less than 20.00 from Dish Depot. Made a big difference. I wanted something to hold me over until I decide if I am going to cut the cord with Dish and get several streaming services. The number one reason I stay with Dish is all the recordings I have which I think will stop working if I drop Dish. If Dish still had HBO I would probably stay. Without HBO I only watch 2 channels on Dish. 50.00 per month for 2 channels is ridiculous.

Good morning, Emanon! Here at Dish, we always strives to carry high quality content at an appropriate value. This is why we offer a wide variety of packages with different price points and channel options. We would love to make sure that you are getting the perfect package for your TV and budget needs. You can reach out to our Chat teams by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist with any account changes. -- Sam F

Reactions: charlesrshell
Good morning, Emanon! Here at Dish, we always strives to carry high quality content at an appropriate value. This is why we offer a wide variety of packages with different price points and channel options. We would love to make sure that you are getting the perfect package for your TV and budget needs. You can reach out to our Chat teams by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist with any account changes. -- Sam F

This sounds more like an advertisement, than an answer.

Reactions: HipKat and Jim S.
I got impatient waiting for the Snap to be available from Dish, so I checked out eBay and found one for $14.49 (shipping included). I have not been on eBay in months, but somehow I had a $5.00 coupon, which brought the price down to $9.49. Judging by what you guys have said about the improvement in speed, I am looking forward to trying this out on my HWS.

Scott first told us about the Snap way back in May. It's four months later and still no Snap from Dish? What are they waiting for? Now that their vendors are selling them, maybe Dish just doesn't want to give them out for free?

I was having the same problem. I bought a Snap at Dish Depot. The problem is somewhat fixed, but not completely. Also, when opening up folders in the DVR menu, sometimes I would get the "line of moving squares" - meaning the Hopper was accessing data. Sometimes this would go on for so long I had to back out of the menu and get back in to access the recording. This seems to be a little better since I got the Snap, though this may be wishful thinking since I don't even know if the Snap helps with this problem.
Something else that has happened since I got the Snap, sometimes when I enter the program guide or the DVR menu, the picture will black out and the sound will pause for a few seconds and when it comes back on, the channel has switched from HD to SD. Changing the channel up one, fixes it.

That doesn't sound promising, so it doesn't seem like it would be worth the $ to attempt a temporary fix with the Snap.

Hello Mr_X! We can absolutely review the issues you're encountering and provide you with the best solution to get things up to speed. Please reach out to our Chat team by clicking this link: Direct Chat. We have agents ready to assist!

Howdy. Thank you for your assistance, but I don't think there's any hope for my situation. I do NOT want anyone from Dish to come to my home ever again after the nonsense I dealt with with the install and the guy who performed it. I'm having A LOT of issues with my H2, but unless I can get a replacement box sent to my house and I can install it myself, I'll just have to deal with this until it dies completely and will cancel service. I refuse to be subjected to the nonsense and trouble with an installer coming to my house ever again.

Howdy. Thank you for your assistance, but I don't think there's any hope for my situation. I do NOT want anyone from Dish to come to my home ever again after the nonsense I dealt with with the install and the guy who performed it. I'm having A LOT of issues with my H2, but unless I can get a replacement box sent to my house and I can install it myself, I'll just have to deal with this until it dies completely and will cancel service. I refuse to be subjected to the nonsense and trouble with an installer coming to my house ever again.

We can definitely understand not wanting to have a technician to come to your home. We’re not able to make changes or replacement orders through Satellite Guys at this time, but our Chat team will be able to look into seeing if a replacement receiver will help resolve the issue and have one sent. -Jasmine D.

My experience has been quite different. All my installs were with competent people. Same as with every service or product: Some good, some bad. Can’t avoid it.

Of course, I’ve done most of the guy’s work before he gets there. I drew the wiring diagram for my two HWS install and the guy was so impressed he asked to take it with him to show the guys at the shop. I was more than agreeable to that.

When the next installer shows up, I’ll have rejiggered my coax and can plug in the new equipment while he’s on the roof replacing the dish and LNB.

Even if you let the guy do all the work, it may take longer but come out well because the next guy could be the cream of the crop. They certainly seem to be getting a lot of practice lately.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

I just received the Snap that I bought on eBay. ...Plugged it in to my HWS and I immediately saw a nice speedup. I have a few questions:

Does the Snap take a while to fully activate? ...Will the speedup get even better than it is now, or is the speedup immediate as soon as you plug it in?

The Snap firmware version is 1_1_S153, is that the latest one? Does the Snap software get upgraded when the HWS is in standby just like the built in HWS firmware? If you use the Tools menu to force upgrade your firmware, does that also upgrade the Snap firmware (if a new version is available)?

I just received the Snap that I bought on eBay. ...Plugged it in to my HWS and I immediately saw a nice speedup. I have a few questions:

Does the Snap take a while to fully activate? ...Will the speedup get even better than it is now, or is the speedup immediate as soon as you plug it in?

The Snap firmware version is 1_1_S153, is that the latest one? Does the Snap software get upgraded when the HWS is in standby just like the built in HWS firmware? If you use the Tools menu to force upgrade your firmware, does that also upgrade the Snap firmware (if a new version is available)?
My experience has been the SNAP module is fully activated at installation, and the latest firmware version is the 153 so you have it. Also, when there are firmware upgrades, if there's an upgrade for the SNAP, it will come down with the normal upgrade.

All my installs were with competent people.

I thought you and I had the same satellite subcontractor!

I had a much worse experience with the first tech that came out to this house. The Bozo failed to show up on Friday and instead showed up unannounced on Saturday before I could get home and tell him to stop. At that time, I had what came to be known as western arc for everything but my international channels which were coming off what came to be known as the eastern arc. Obviously my setup required 2 dishes. He had disconnected my Cox cable Internet to reuse the cable because he can't be bothered to look where his own cables were going (that being into the attic). I didn't realize that until I tried to call and dispute the charge for my 2nd dish and my phone didn't work. This was such a monumental screw-up that I told him to leave. I had to call Cox to get them to come out and get my Internet going again.

Edited to add: and he couldn't even align the dish right! He really had no LOS to Dish satellites because he reused the mast that DirecTV had put up there. 110 was coming in semi OK, but 119 was iffy because of my own maple tree. The 2nd guy to come out and fix it just put a mast extension on.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)