Hopper Software Update Coming along with Pandora!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am told that one of the biggest changes in the new software is that the user partition now doubled to 1TB excluding PrimetimeAnytime....
very cool. with that much space i don't need to bother investigating an EHD anymore. Maybe only as a backup as best.

I am told that one of the biggest changes in the new software is that the user partition now doubled to 1TB excluding PrimetimeAnytime....
Just to make sure I understand it: is it 1 TB if you turn off PTAT?

Just to make sure I understand it: is it 1 TB if you turn off PTAT?

currently it's 500GB User / 500GB PTAT / 1TB Dish

Scott is saying it would now be 1TB User / 500GB PTAT / 500GB Dish

Last edited:
I wonder if they'll dynamically re-size it without losing existing data... It can be done, but not sure if Dish will risk that vs forcing users to wipe the drive and start fresh.

I wonder if they'll dynamically re-size it without losing existing data... It can be done, but not sure if Dish will risk that vs forcing users to wipe the drive and start fresh.
No reports yet of any lost data. :)

Thats why its only rolling out to 5000 people at first just to make sure. :)

If you got the new software post about it here! :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
No reports yet of any lost data. :)

Thats why its only rolling out to 5000 people at first just to make sure. :)

If you got the new software post about it here! :)

That's good news. Assume the 5000 completely random? :)

currently it's 500GB User / 500GB PTAT / 1TB Dish

Scott is saying it would now be 1TB User / 500GB PTAT / 500GB Dish

That would be awesome!

Just got this in...

DISH Expands In-Home Music Experience With Pandora

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 04/19/12 -- DISH (NASDAQ: DISH), one of the nation's leading pay-TV providers, has introduced Pandora (NYSE: P), the leading personalized radio service, for the DISH Hopper™ Whole-Home HD DVR system. Pandora on the Hopper allows customers to easily search for their favorite artists or songs and create personalized radio stations that play only the music they love from the comfort of their homes.

DISH customers with a Hopper can login to their existing Pandora account, or create a new Pandora account, to stream their personalized radio stations through their television. Streaming Pandora on the Hopper requires an Internet connection.

"Pandora adds new dimension to the Hopper experience," said Vivek Khemka, vice president of product management at DISH. "This partnership is another example of how we are working to make Hopper the entertainment platform of choice for America's homes."

"We're thrilled that DISH is making Pandora available to their customers on a great new platform like the Hopper," said Ian Geller, vice president of Business Development at Pandora. "More than a third of all radio listening takes place in the home and Pandora delivered through the Hopper allows everyone in the family to easily access and enjoy music they love through their personalized radio stations."

DISH's Hopper features three satellite TV tuners and a two-terabyte hard drive that stores up to 2,000 hours of video. Accompanied by small, sleek Joey™ units, the Hopper enables customers to pause live TV in one room and continue watching in another room. DISH launched Hopper in March and it is available to both new and existing DISH customers.

In addition to Pandora, DISH's Hopper features apps that give viewers real-time access to Facebook, Twitter and photo sharing, as well as games, news, weather, sports and stock quotes.

More information about DISH's Hopper is available at www.dish.com/hopper.

That's good news. Assume the 5000 completely random? :)

I've always wondered about those limited rollouts. If they are random, are they worthwhile if most of the recipients don't know they have gotten an update and can report back if any fixes/updates are working?? It seems like the only feedback Dish can expect are problem calls when the updates break something...

cosmo_kramer said:
I've always wondered about those limited rollouts. If they are random, are they worthwhile if most of the recipients don't know they have gotten an update and can report back if any fixes/updates are working?? It seems like the only feedback Dish can expect are problem calls when the updates break something...

Yeah was sort of my point. Pushing an update in the middle of the night, then people going to work. Won't get much feedback.

But, whatever :) Was just thinking, dammit, now I got a new device I will be obsessed with looking for new updates. Sigh heh

I would assume that there's some telemetry data that is sent back either after the update is applied or when the next nightly update was run 24 hours later. (Which again drives home the point of how important those nightly updates are.) Plus I know that the tech support folks can see the status of the hopper in real time. So I wouldn't be surprised if they were keeping an eye on the status of those 5000 hoppers that get the test version.

It's actually a pretty simple process to extend and shrink partitions. You can do it in Windows without needing any extra software so long as you have the free space. Where you get into trouble is when your hard drive is full of data and you need to do some shrinking and shifting around to make things work. Also I really question if there is actually 3 partitions on the hoppers hard drive separated out for User/PTAT/DISH. Because if that were the case, it would mean that shows would have to be physically copied from one area of the hard drive to another when a show moved from the PTAT space to the User space. This would increase the possibility of file fragmentation when anyone would tell you is a bad thing. A better method would be to keep them together, but just tag the PTAT shows with some kind of marker and tell the system not to count the disk space that show uses against the user. So I would really only worry about data loss if you have a bunch of shows recorded on the drive. But even then, DISH could just delete shows in the partition that they save for them if free space was needed to extend the user partition. Those VOD programs they put on the drive could just be re-downloaded again.

Last edited:
I've always wondered about those limited rollouts.
I suspect that beta testers, a much smaller group, get the s/w pushed to them and also receive instructions on what to look for, what was changed, what to test, etc. When s/w goes out to a larger group, Dish is looking for issues that the average user will stumble on or create themselves (user error).

I suspect that beta testers, a much smaller group, get the s/w pushed to them and also receive instructions on what to look for, what was changed, what to test, etc. When s/w goes out to a larger group, Dish is looking for issues that the average user will stumble on or create themselves (user error).

And, I would suspect that if that were true, many of the nagging issues discovered by members here within hours of being installed could/would/should have been identified by those beta testers initially...

Hi all, I received 208 on my Hopper around 11:30 PST last night. So far, so good. I now have Pandora, Facebook and maybe a few other new apps - I'm not sure because I can't remember what was there before. I also went form 100% used space on my DVR to only 44% used space. All kinds of new space now available to me for recording shows!

It's good to know that our voices are being heard, as that was a major complaint. It gives one hope that the other issues mentioned in these forums will be addressed.

It also validates what the majority of users have been saying, despite the fanboys' kneejerk defense of the original ridiculously small user partition of only 25% of total hdd space.

OTOH, anybody that still complains about hdd space can now officially be called a whiner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)