Hopper Storm Recovery Sucks

hojni

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
We had heavy storms roll through the Chicago area last night. Once again, the Hoppers locked up hard (black screens and no response to remotes) and had to be manually reset in order to restore functionality. This has happened every time heavy storms have disrupted the satellite signal. Never had this issue with the VIP722s: they seemed to be able to resume operation on their own once the satellite signal was restored.

Anyone else notice this?

Hmm yeah have not seen this yet most other receivers I have used have been able to resume operation on their own. Will have to wait see how the Hopper responds to a storm here but will let you know.

We've had a few outages due to weather here but they seem to recover OK. Recordings will have a lost signal box in them but they pretty much continue to record and play. I'm on the EA here and find that I get fewer weather interruptions than when I was with D*, maybe because most storms come in from the west and the D* 99/101/103 dish points more westerly than 61.5/72.

Thanks for the feedback. This is the third time both Hoppers locked up hard after a storm, so maybe I need to check my signal strengths.

BTW - I am on WA.

Thanks for the feedback. This is the third time both Hoppers locked up hard after a storm, so maybe I need to check my signal strengths.

BTW - I am on WA.

Low signal strength might delay recovery, but black screen and not having access to the guide or DVR screen with the remote are not normal with the Hopper.

The only storm related issues I have had is that if the signal is lost during PTAT, after signal was back to normal, 3 of the "big 4" channels would not record. All recordings pointed to the 4th channel.

Where is your node located? Can you unscrew the cables from it with your hands? Something could be getting wet causing the moca network to short out.

My DPP44 switch and Duo Node are all in the basement. Only the dishes, LNBFs and a short cable run are outside.