Hopper system looks outstanding=Picture better than direc?

jawxx said:
It probably isn't a noticeable difference on 99% of what you watch but the Hopper, if I recall from the tech info we were given, is 1080p, Dish's first.

Bases on my tech Hopper are 1080i and not 1080p.

Curious how the HR34 stacks up to the Hopper? Im still using three HR24.
Those units came out of the gate with a very fast user interface. Now
its very slow.
Its a pleasure to have the Hopper system. That said all my Vip units moved extremely fast.
I loved that!

I'm watching stuff off the EHD transferred to the Hopper. Still better PQ than the stuff reordered off the old receivers.

I noticed this too. I think the overall improvement in pq is real and not just a perception. The color saturation seems to be higher, but maybe that was because the first thing I watched was the Louisville orangemen battling Kentucky...

I noticed this too. I think the overall improvement in pq is real and not just a perception. The color saturation seems to be higher, but maybe that was because the first thing I watched was the Louisville orangemen battling Kentucky...

LOL. What the heck was Loisville doing with those uniforms?

LOL. What the heck was Loisville doing with those uniforms?

Their only chance for winning? It really made my display "pop", and it was the first thing I saw on the new Hopper system. BTN Husker-Gopher lady softball looks good and natural right now. Can't complain of PQ, I do think it has improved.

The only 1080 video resolutions I've seen is 1080i.
The publishes spec sheets indicate 1080i and 1080p24, but NOT 1080p60.

What happens when you PPV a 1080P movie? Will the Hopper prompt you for a 1080P option then?

Others have posted that's exactly what happens. Not sure if it does it once or each time you start a program.

Note that 1080p24 is actually less bandwidth than 1080i60. When program originated on film is broadcast in 1080i, the 3:2 pulldown that converts 24 film frames to 30 TV frames (60 interlaced fields) repeats one field every 5 fields. 1080p24 never sends that redundant field so the bandwidth is 4/5 of 1080i60.

Most modern TVs will detect and remove the 3:2 pulldown present in any 60 or 30 Hz video and display the result at 72 or 120 Hz. So there is no real advantage to 1080p24 exempt that the 3:2 removal logic can sometimes be fooled.

As far as I know, none of the nonPPV material is broadcast in 1080p24 so 1080i would be the rate normally output.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)