Hopper - will 3 tuners be enough?

Are 3 tuners enough for Dish Customers (not you personally)

• 95% of Dish customers don't need more than 3 tuners and 5% want more tuners

Votes: 87 35.8%
  • 60% don't need 3 tuners, 30% need more but are dumb and happy, and 10% want more tuners

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • At least 50% of Dish customers are not going to be happy with only 3 tuners

Votes: 51 21.0%
  • 3 tuners won't cut it for most customers

Votes: 57 23.5%

• Total voters
A satellite tuner receives satellite broadcasts. An OTA tuner receives OTA broadcasts. There's a reason why the OTA current solution for systems like the 622 and 722/722k is called a tuner module; it contains actual tuners. With an out-of-box 622 or 722, you can record two satellite broadcasts simultaneously. When you add the OTA tuner module, you can record an additional one or two OTA channels simultaneously. Even though the Hopper solution will be external and connected via USB, it still has to contain a tuner. I shouldn't have called it an OTA antenna in my previous post; it has to be a tuner or it won't do anything that the Hopper could use. I'm curious as to whether the solution chooses will have one tuner per module or two, and how many tuner modules you can plug in to one Hopper.

The poll seems to work best for installers and retailers, which there are a good amount on here. As a retailer I selected the first option. We seldomly do an install with 2 dual tuners or more. Most typical installs for us are either a dual tuner or dual tuner with a single tuner. The Hopper would work great for both cases. I myself only have a three tuner setup for 4 TVs and it works just fine. I would love to have all my TVs in HD though.

From talking to a couple installers here locally, they say most installs are no more than two units. Generally 1 DVR and one receiver. And that is both sat providers.

Given the exorbitant additional receiver fees, it's no surprise to this observer that installers and retailers see predominantly one or two receiver customers.

And by the way, I'm going to post my WAG for additional Hopper fees again, since IMHO everybody else is wildly optimistic. Here it is. Are you ready? $24/mo. This is broken down as $7/independent TV "experience" X 3 + $3 since it's a DVR. It's like a 922 most of all, so there will be a $10/mo DVR charge per account. :p

I will also hazard the guess of $24 with three Joeys, $17 with two. Based on $10 for the hopper, first Joey free, additonal Joeys $7. Then the DVR fee.

Last edited:
Actually, if it's $10 whole-home DVR fee for the 1st Hopper with 1st Joey included, that would be quite reasonable. I've got a feeling it'll be more like $13-$17 for a one-Hopper/one-Joey system.

A 722k/211k setup is $13/mo, which is what I think their pricing model will be, with a possible add'l $4 for whole-home. I think each add'l Hooper will be around $10-14, and each add'l Joey another $7.

Outrageous? Yup. But, that's been the case with Dish fees for some time now.

Actually, if it's $10 whole-home DVR fee for the 1st Hopper with 1st Joey included, that would be quite reasonable. I've got a feeling it'll be more like $13-$17 for a one-Hopper/one-Joey system.

A 722k/211k setup is $13/mo, which is what I think their pricing model will be, with a possible add'l $4 for whole-home. I think each add'l Hooper will be around $10-14, and each add'l Joey another $7.

Outrageous? Yup. But, that's been the case with Dish fees for some time now.

My thinking was, (and I could of course be wrong) the Hopper alone, unlike the 722K gets you only one TV. You need a Joey for a second. That's why I thought less than the cost of a 722K and a 211 which gets you three TV's. They could charge your guess of $13 for Hopper and one Joey, but then I think each additional Joey is $5 or $6.

Or they are trying to ascertain whether their opinion is the minority or majority. Whichever, it's not going to change a thing.

Last edited:
I feel three tuners is enough even with Primetime Anytime on unless you have some pretty specific needs. With PTA on, you have one tuner recording four channels on networks whose bread and butter is so called "appointment" television. It's on once a week, maybe twice if you are lucky, the two other tuners can be used to record channels that asside from CW or MyNetworkTV, have a really good possibility of replaying shows again later in the evening/early morning or later in the week. However, if you start messing with PTA and disabling it when you think it should be doing things differently... that's where you will start running into problem.

Or they are trying to ascertain whether their opinion is the minority or majority. Whichever, it's not going to change a thing.

Uhuh, cause it was either three tuners or six and Echostar would have probably put in six tuners if it made sense economically.

For me ...

Three tuners would.

I have a 722 with the home distribution.

Sometimes, the kids can't watch TV because of a recording. The usually go to a prior recording or DVD at that point - of course moaning and groaning along the way.

With 3 tuners that should help out there a lot. Now add PTA, that should help out a whole lot more.

I would definitely bite at $10 for the first hopper with first Joey combined. I think for one Hopper and one Joey though ... my would limit would be $14.

If it ends up being more that $14 for one hopper and one joey ... I would go a 211K for my second HD TV, probably pay the one time DVR fee, and call it good.

I will also hazard the guess of $24 with three Joeys, $17 with two. Based on $10 for the hopper, first Joey free, additonal Joeys $7. Then the DVR fee.
Following the current inclination of fees, I would expect there to be a Whole Home fee to cover the first Hopper along the lines of the excess(ive) ViP922 DVR fee, but more.

I would envision that it won't take long to find out that three tuners isn't enough for more than two TVs regardless of PTAT. I'm hoping that DISH pulls their head out and offers a client for conventional receivers connected via Ethernet much as DIRECTV is doing with their HR34.

I think the real litmus test is going to households with one or more children under the age of 18. These are the ones that are going to push the tuner limit the hardest with their penchant for marathon viewing of repeat upon repeat of Spongebob Squarepants, children's cartoons, Disney teen shows and anything with mortal danger or tragedy in the theme (I couldn't believe young ladies would watch a marathon of Animal Planet's Infested). For the young, it isn't about the episode but just the idea that they're watching familiar TV (in much the same way that the elderly seem attracted Lawrence Welk and old westerns). They don't seem to care if they've seen something a half dozen times or more. A previous generation had their MTV crutch I suppose.

I've got two nieces and the only Big Four TV they watch is Survivor; all the rest of their considerable viewing involves cable channels. I suspect that their friends have similar habits.

Following the current inclination of fees, I would expect there to be a Whole Home fee to cover the first Hopper along the lines of the excess(ive) ViP922 DVR fee, but more.

I would envision that it won't take long to find out that three tuners isn't enough for more than two TVs regardless of PTAT. I'm hoping that DISH pulls their head out and offers a client for conventional receivers connected via Ethernet much as DIRECTV is doing with their HR34.

I think the real litmus test is going to households with one or more children under the age of 18. These are the ones that are going to push the tuner limit the hardest with their penchant for marathon viewing of repeat upon repeat of Spongebob Squarepants, children's cartoons, Disney teen shows and anything with mortal danger or tragedy in the theme (I couldn't believe young ladies would watch a marathon of Animal Planet's Infested). For the young, it isn't about the episode but just the idea that they're watching familiar TV (in much the same way that the elderly seem attracted Lawrence Welk and old westerns). They don't seem to care if they've seen something a half dozen times or more. A previous generation had their MTV crutch I suppose.

I've got two nieces and the only Big Four TV they watch is Survivor; all the rest of their considerable viewing involves cable channels. I suspect that their friends have similar habits.

Then DISH will need to add Primetime Kidtime.;):D

3 wouldnt cut it for me. Right now I have conflicts with 4 tuners (2 D* DVR's). Thank goodness alot of the cable shows have 2 "new" times (usually 9PM and 1AM) so the conflict thing will get the late west coast "new" :)

There have been times I wished I had 1 extra satellite tuner for recording or viewing.I have the 722k with the Dual Over The Air Tuners Module which has 2OTA+2SAT Tuners,so to have a Dual Over The Air Tuners Module USB Box would give me 5 tuners with the Hopper,but when PTAT is recording for 3 hours it would be like 9 tuners!.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts