Hopper with VIP 772k: is it possible

IF you figure that a hopper cost $12.00 a month for the dvr fee and you need a joey usually to see the hopper in another room and it cost $7.00, that cost you $19.00 a month for a two tv configuration for the hopper /joey setup. While the VIP series is only $7.00 a month for the dvr fee and if you pay for an additional VIP receiver it would cost you another $17.00 a month or $19.00 total. So the only thing I can figure out is that DISH wants everyone on the hopper to be able to get retire the older Vip series like the 622/722/722k receivers and there is a potential to make more money off of customers monthly ,with hopper and multiple joeys or super joey accounts.

What made Hopper so appealing to me, on top of the technology/features (when they work,) was the $7/Mo additional Hopper fee.

I feel like Dish pulled a bait-and-switch when they not only raised the Hopper fees, but killed the so-called "grandfathering" as well.

Makes me wonder, what next? Are they going to kill HD Free For Life grandfathering as well?

Luckily I have credits for the Hopper fees that will last until my contract is up. If Retentions doesn't help me out with the extra $15 in fees ($55 in receiver fees alone vs $38) I will be taking my business elsewhere. Especially if the Hopper software is still bug-ridden by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

What made Hopper so appealing to me, on top of the technology/features (when they work,) was the $7/Mo additional Hopper fee.

I feel like Dish pulled a bait-and-switch when they not only raised the Hopper fees, but killed the so-called "grandfathering" as well.

Makes me wonder, what next? Are they going to kill HD Free For Life grandfathering as well?

Luckily I have credits for the Hopper fees that will last until my contract is up. If Retentions doesn't help me out with the extra $15 in fees ($55 in receiver fees alone vs $38) I will be taking my business elsewhere. Especially if the Hopper software is still bug-ridden by then.

I second your fears about grandfathering. I have seen the 501 series of NO FEE dvrs go to a fee. I've seen the second hopper for $7.00 go to $12.00 and yes the Free Hd for life is no more for new subs after their 24 month commitment. IF DISH chooses to do away with it for everyone , it wouldn't surprise me. Greed is a terrible thing and it seems that all companies seem to eventually succumb to it. If they do away with FREE hd for life , I can see me going elsewhere or finally cutting the cord.

I don't see the fee for HD lasting that many years. HD is going to be the standard and they won't be able to charge for it.
HD IS standard. When was the last time you saw a tube TV at your local big box store? Hell there are bigger, better HDTVs now for LESS than I paid for a 32-inch behemoth a little over five years ago.

Reactions: TheKrell
I thought you could get a non-tube and non-HDTV set, so it wouldn't have to be a "tube TV". I'm sure they used to be available.... That said, even the cheapest TV from Walmart is an HDTV (Seiki, 19", 720p - $95).

Now, broadcasting, as a standard, is a whole different matter and maybe that's what Scherrman is referring to.

I thought you could get a non-tube and non-HDTV set, so it wouldn't have to be a "tube TV". I'm sure they used to be available.... That said, even the cheapest TV from Walmart is an HDTV (Seiki, 19", 720p - $95).

Now, broadcasting, as a standard, is a whole different matter and maybe that's what Scherrman is referring to.

What I'm referring to is that not all customers are ready for HD yet. You'd be surprised with how many people still do not have HDTVs in their homes or the fact of how many people just don't care about it. Also, the fact that not every show is broadcast in HD yet either. HD is not the standard, YET, but it should be soon.

Actually, I'm not surprised. I've seen far too many HDTVs hooked up to non-HD sources or hooked up to HD boxes via coaxial cable or people with HDTVs and HD service yet tuned to a non-HD feed of a channel. Why do you think Dish, for example, hides the non-HD channels on newer receivers ?

Actually, I'm not surprised. I've seen far too many HDTVs hooked up to non-HD sources or hooked up to HD boxes via coaxial cable or people with HDTVs and HD service yet tuned to a non-HD feed of a channel. Why do you think Dish, for example, hides the non-HD channels on newer receivers ?

My wife still does it and it drives me CRAZY. I'll walk into the living room and see the TV and I immediately grab the remote and hit the channel up button to the HD version. I don't care if I'm watching it or not I can't stand to see something in SD on my TV if it's also being aired in HD.

Reactions: DWS44
What I'm referring to is that not all customers are ready for HD yet. You'd be surprised with how many people still do not have HDTVs in their homes or the fact of how many people just don't care about it. Also, the fact that not every show is broadcast in HD yet either. HD is not the standard, YET, but it should be soon.
HD IS standard. Just about every major broadcaster has an HD feed. All major OTA stations are HD. Most new content is HD. That's like saying some years back "color is not the standard, YET, as many people still have black-and-white televisions and a few stations don't broadcast in color. Also there are still some shows in black-and-white!"

It's not 2007 anymore.

Yes I remember seeing a few of those, but they were far-and-few between in comparison to the amount of tube television and even HDTV offerings.

My wife still does it and it drives me CRAZY. I'll walk into the living room and see the TV and I immediately grab the remote and hit the channel up button to the HD version. I don't care if I'm watching it or not I can't stand to see something in SD on my TV if it's also being aired in HD.
Why don't you just go to guide settings and select HD in the Channel Preference?

Hd is not standard quite yet. It will be shortly, but as long as companies such as abc and Viacom charge extra for hd versions of their channels, then it will not become a standard. Dish try's fighting this with packages like dish America, but just because the majority have it, does not make it the "standard" yet. Few more years and it definitely will be.

Reactions: Hall
That's exactly it. I lock out all SD channels that have a HD version.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My wife used to do that and still can't seem to see the difference between sd and hd. I fixed that on my account by blocking out all sd version of channels with HD equivalents. So NO more SD versions unless that is all there is .

Yes, but think about it. Are they manufacturing any of them any more? No. Are they not throwing in Hoppers and Joeys for new subs? They still have to offers others as replacements and for special needs and requests, but most are near obsolete.

Untrue, as they are still making many of the "no longer made" receivers for Bell Canada....

Untrue, as they are still making many of the "no longer made" receivers for Bell Canada....
You sure about that? Seems to be plenty taken out of service used STBs to satisfy THAT market.

I know next to nothing about Bell Canada, but I find it unlikely that their standard set-top boxes that they provide are refurbished and rebranded boxes from another provider. Yes, I know they use Echostar boxes and for replacements, just like Dish, they may offer refurbs, but for NEW customers ? :eek

Being a Current Bell customer I can tell you that as of around 2 years ago or so Bell no longer uses any new receivers that Dish uses. They had Echostar make the Bell specific receivers (9400 & 6400) they used in the past the 9242(722) 9241(612) and the 6131(211K) but no longer sell those models.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts