Hopper3 blacking out

Rick341

Captain Obvious
Original poster
Jan 5, 2022
Cottonwood, AL
First I apologize for my very first post being a question but I just found the forum searching for help and where better to ask?
I recently swapped the location of my Hopper3 with my 4K Joey ( I moved the Hopper from a bedroom and installed it in the den where the Joey had been to be closer to a router) They both work but the Hopper's TV set goes black about every 10 seconds and I don't know what's causing it. The Joey works fine on the TV in the bedroom. Anyone know what I've done wrong?
As required to get a signal, I swapped the RG6 connections at the node outside the house, I've reset both the Hopper and the TV it's connected to but the TV picture still goes black for second or two every 10 seconds or so.. I'm at a loss and sure could use advice.
Thanks in advance

Is it an HDMI connection between the Hopper 3 and the TV? My guess would be a loose connection between the Hopper 3 and the TV. Try unplugging at both the Hopper 3 and the TV and reconnecting very deliberately.

Is it an HDMI connection between the Hopper 3 and the TV? My guess would be a loose connection between the Hopper 3 and the TV. Try unplugging at both the Hopper 3 and the TV and reconnecting very deliberately.
Thanks for the quick reply.. It is an HDMI connection. It was working perfectly before I moved it. I'll check the connection and try a different HDMI cable.

First I apologize for my very first post being a question but I just found the forum searching for help and where better to ask?
I recently swapped the location of my Hopper3 with my 4K Joey ( I moved the Hopper from a bedroom and installed it in the den where the Joey had been to be closer to a router) They both work but the Hopper's TV set goes black about every 10 seconds and I don't know what's causing it. The Joey works fine on the TV in the bedroom. Anyone know what I've done wrong?
As required to get a signal, I swapped the RG6 connections at the node outside the house, I've reset both the Hopper and the TV it's connected to but the TV picture still goes black for second or two every 10 seconds or so.. I'm at a loss and sure could use advice.
Thanks in advance
What is the cable to the Hopper now, 3 Ghz RG6?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Not if the cable is good (not damaged)..
I appreciate the comments but I'm still at a loss. The coax is RG6 to both the Hopper and Joey and neither appears to be damaged in any way. The HDMI cables at both locations worked after swapping but it's possible there wasn't a tight connection at the Hopper....at least that's what I hope is causing the blacking out. Since it didn't work, I put both back in the original rooms but I'll try moving them again at a later date.... (the wife didn't appreciate all the cussing :) )
Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again

This may not be feasible but is there a way to swap the TVs instead of the Hopper/Joey (just for testing purposes)? I'm just trying to rule out possibilities. If you still have blacking out, then you have an issue between the TV and the Hopper as opposed to between the node and the Hopper. If you don't have blacking out, then the opposite is true.

Separately, which node do you have? Depending on the answer, are you sure you put the cables in the right place? Maybe share pictures?

This may not be feasible but is there a way to swap the TVs instead of the Hopper/Joey (just for testing purposes)? I'm just trying to rule out possibilities. If you still have blacking out, then you have an issue between the TV and the Hopper as opposed to between the node and the Hopper. If you don't have blacking out, then the opposite is true.

Separately, which node do you have? Depending on the answer, are you sure you put the cables in the right place? Maybe share pictures?
What he said!

So when you swapped the equipment back to their original locations the trouble went away?
Yep. both work perfectly in the original locations but when I move the Hopper from the bedroom to the den, the TV blacks out but the Joey works as it should in either location.
It might be possible to swap TVs with a small set in the spare bedroom if it has an HDMI input.. I'll have to check that out too.
This is what I'm calling a "node" and I'm swapping the coax cables labeled "Client" with the one labeled "host".

20220106_143834[1].jpg

Again, I apologize for another dumb question but I'm a newbie and haven't quite mastered the search function.

Since I wasn't able to get the Hopper to work as it should when placed in the den, if I were to leave it in the bedroom and run a 75' ethernet cable from the Hopper to the Joey, would that increase the Joey's signal? As is, the Hopper in the bedroom is connecting to a modem/router in the den and then sending a signal back to the Joey in the same den. Thinking maybe the signal to the Joey wouldn't be as weak if it were hardwired to the Hopper? Or is it possible to connect an ethernet cable from the router directly to the Joey?

P.S. Thanks Bobby! I'm learning!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts