Horrible Mpeg-4 Upgrade Experience in Atlanta (Long-Sorry!)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ScottL

Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Acworth, GA
I’ve been lurking here literally for years and I’ve received some great information. I had to join and relate my absolutely horrible experience trying to get the Mpeg-4 HD upgrade in the Atlanta area. Sorry for such a long and negative post for my first one.

I’ve been a DTV customer for seven years. I subscribe to the Total Choice Platinum package and the HD pkg. I’ve been following the Mpeg-4 LIL rollout here and when I read that Atlanta had been turned on and customers were scheduling their upgrades, I called and scheduled mine.

After three calls and numerous transfers, I was finally able to get a hold of someone who knew about the upgrade and was able to schedule one for me. I was charged $99 to my bill for the installation, receiver upgrade and new dish. I was told on the phone that the installer would be taking my old HD receiver. The installation was scheduled for 12-7 between 1-5pm. I had to take half a day off from work to do this, but I was excited so I did it.

On Wednesday the 67th, I arrived home at around noon to wait for the installer. I received a call from the installation company at about 3 pm telling me they would have to reschedule due to the fact that they were out of dishes. I was disappointed, but I knew this was a new system, so I rescheduled for the following Saturday, 12-10 between 8Am –noon. I received an automated phone call from the installation company on Friday evening confirming my appointment for Saturday between 1-5PM (!). Now, since I no longer knew just when in the day they would arrive, I readjusted some responsibilities to make sure I was here all day to wait for them.

At around 9Am on Saturday I received a call from the actual installer the company had assigned my work order to. He explained that he would not be coming as he was on the North Carolina/Georgia border; about 100 miles away and he didn’t understand why they gave him the WO instead of someone more local. He apologized and said he would be calling his installation company to have it reassigned.

I called DTV and after relating this story to the three separate individuals I was transferred to, I found someone in Advanced Technical Support who contacted the local installation company. He said that they would be calling be right back to arrange to get someone else out to me that day. He also gave me the installation company’s number and a direct line to his department in case something went wrong. He assured me everything was taken care of.

I waited several hours for the call from the installers which never came. I called them and after being transferred several times, I was told that the soonest they could come out was Tues, Sept 13th. My blood pressure reached critical and I told them that was unacceptable and hung up to contact DTV at the number the last rep gave me.

I was transferred and had to retell this story several more times until I reached the Advanced Technical Support department again. I unfortunately let my emotions control me and even though I was civil on the phone, I told the DTV rep that I was fed up and to cancel my upgrade and that I was through with attempting to get my HD locals. I told him I was almost ready to cancel my service and get cable again. It had gotten me that upset. Instead of trying to work anything out, he cancelled the WO, and transferred me to someone who began to disconnect my service completely. Now understand, I did mention this in my anger, so I suppose I asked for it, but never once did I raise my voice or accuse the reps at DTV of making the mistake. I told them I knew it was the fault of the local installation company. I did expect them to try to make things right somehow. Instead, I received disinterest and disconnection. They were ready to let $125 a month and a long term customer walk without a fight.

I immediately called Comcast and scheduled an installation for September 20th. Now that I’ve cooled off, I really would like to stay with DTV, but their lack of caring for the issues I had make me wonder if I shouldn’t move on. Is there anyone at DTV I can contact to straighten this fiasco out?

Last edited:
I can sympathize with you. I had a similar experience when I upgraded to the Triple LNB/H10 back in July. Reschedules...three different mounting plates put on my roof that can't be taken off, then the dish re-aimed 4 times by 4 different techs and then finally a move of the dish to the garage only to be followed up by a re-do of the coax seeing as the guy used connectors the first time. I was going to upgrade to MPEG-4/H20, but the dish isn't a good fit for my garage. I will wait until spring and reluctantly, probably have to put it on a pole in the ground, but overall, the time spent on the phone and the runaround with completely untrained techs has been awful. Like you, I nearly left to back to cable. The NFL Sunday Ticket is the glue that keeps me attached to D* though.

Did you call customer retention yet? If you plan to stay with D*, I would relate your issues to them and demand something from them (free something) in return. If not, then do what ya gotta do.

Last edited:
I Am waiting For Install Also I WAs Set For 12-3 Rons Tv Called 12-2 said They Were Out Of The Dish. Reset For 12-10 8 till 12 They Called At 11:45 Said They
Were Out Of The Dish Again I Told Them That Happen The Week Before.
I Called Direct tv They Made A Call Were Told The Same Thing Reset For 12-13
Was Given A $50 Credit Im Begining To Wonder If This Rons tv Used To Be Part
Of Installs Co That Used To Install Voom!:mad:

ScottL said:
I was told that the soonest they could come out was Tues, Sept 13th.

I immediately called Comcast and scheduled an installation for September 20th.

Wow, you like to schedule installs WAAAAYYYY in advance. :D :p ;)
Sorry you had a bad experience. Hoping mine won't be so bad when I get an upgrade with the HD DVR whenever it comes out.

rodder said:
I Am waiting For Install Also I WAs Set For 12-3 Rons Tv Called 12-2 said They Were Out Of The Dish. Reset For 12-10 8 till 12 They Called At 11:45 Said They

Must have taken a long time to type out your post when you capitalize each and every word. Makes it hard to read aswell. :neener

Yea -I have had a really bad experience with a local installer. I got the run around like you received but made them at least send the guy to do the initial install (in my case, it was a movers connection with a new HD Tivo so I had no satellite until they came - said no Tivos were in so they wouldn't even do the basic install). Anyway, recently my reception was off on one sat and another tech had to come out (this is 3 mths after initial install). Turns out original guy didn't position the dish correctly, used the wrong fittings for the cables outside, and used the wrong powersource for my multiswitch. This latest guy who found all this was A+ and I recommend them highly. Here's their info in Atlanta:

Digital Satelliate Service Inc - Duluth GA
770-752-4919

My tech guy was James O'Neil - Tech 6850 and cell is 678-787-0398. Not sure if he comes across to Acworth but he really seems to be one of the good guys to work with.

Scott, the same thing happened to me, I was scheduled for last Friday 1-5, took half a day off, got a call at 3:30 on Friday afternoon that the tech was tied up on another job and I would have to reschedule through Ron's TV, got the runaround so I called DTV, they basically could not care less either, was offered a $20 credit, I told them that was laughable, they said most people were happy with it, I said it was insult and that I easily lost 10x that amount in sales commission while I was at home waiting for their tech to show up. told them I was thinking about going back to cable and they said fine, do you want us to cancel. I guess D* is taking a page out of the cable companies book on lousy customer service. I may be wrong but I think Digital Satellite and Ron's are affiliated.

Last edited:
Never schedule for the afternoon. I did the same thing. Got a call that they were overbooked. I had them reschedule for 8 am, before they had a chance to get bogged down with someone else and/or loose the equipment.

I had that happen also. Last Tuesday I was a 1-5 appontment. 4:30 rolls around and he's stuck on another job. I bitch and moan and get rescheduled guaranteed first PM appointment. He shows up around 1:50 and leaves around 4:40. They are definitely overloading these guys, especially with the AT9 installs.

rodder said:

Rons tv is awfull they where origionaly set to install my directv and they kept putting me off so I canseled and had the digital depot do it instead...much more professional.

well it didnot happen 12-13 either they said they were still out off the dish
after calling direct tv retenion i got another $60 credit and reset for 12-23 :mad:

They have canceled mine 3 times so far and I have it rescheduled for next Thursday 8-12. So far I have gotten a free upgade + $120 instant credit + $20 credit per month for 6 months and free HDTV package for 6 months. If they don't show next Thursday I will own D* (LOL).

D* nightmares. The guy that was sent to my house did a lousy first install. It was getting near 10 PM so we agreed he would come back the next day. No calls...nothing. Finally I found him at his cell phone store and just about threatened to get him to come out. He did and I was glad to get him out the door. E* install was great and VOOM was just spectacular. You would think D* could get something like an install right.

I have been with dtv for 4plus years. I spend $120 of my hard earned money with them a month. I'm in South Paulding county and currently only get WXIA in HD via OTA antenna. So, obviously, I've been anticipating this new mp4 release greatly. Over the last 3 months, I've been calling to see if it's available in ATL yet....always no and we don't know when. Then I'd ask them what the cost will be and they told me a free upgrade, but the contact would be extended out a year. Fine.
I call yesterday to find out that it's been available in ATL since 3rd week of Nov (I have no idea how they plan on letting customers actually know about this upgrade without customers calling them!!!))) Then she tells me it will cost $99 plus a contract extension of 2 years. Whooaaa?? I just bought my hd receiver last year! I yelled and she gave me the equivalent of a $90 credit, so at least now I only have to pay $10 net. I'm not at all happy with the service they've been providing.

Is Ron's TV stock full in order to fufill these installations?

Wow, this appears to be a localized issue but it does not favor well for D* at all. I had Comcast out last Saturday (I hate cable) and have their HD DVR and love it. For HD ... the SD still looks like crap. The HD is far better than what I get from D* and there is NO pixelization at all. I am starting to wonder but I'll wait until the Denver DMA is announced as installable and see what folks here say. Too bad to, I have been a D* proponent since the day I installed ...

So the question about the cable setup is are you getting the full bandwidth?

In other words is it better than the OTA setup which splits off some of the bandwidth for sub channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)