How about analog receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jerryphx

Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to FTA in general. I was, until recently, a radio broadcast engineer. Since I'm out of that now, FTA seems a fun hobby. Never really dealt much with satellite, save some C band reception of C5 & G4.

I was wondering what any of you may recommend for an analog ku receiver. I've got a 2500a and a 90cm dish on the way, but I'm probably going to want to play with analog feeds at some point down the road. Any suggestions? Anything I should keep an eye out on ebay for?

I know this may get asked alot, but I did a search and didn't find much(actually too much to review). So my apologies.

Thanks alot,
Jerry

I just picked up a Toshiba TRX-1520. I'm still pretty much a newbie to FTA, but it seems like a pretty nice box. I'd seen some posts from some of the mods, indicating they use the same or similar models so I thought I'd give it a shot. There's also a TRX-1420 (IR instead of RF remote), a TRX-1820 and a TRX-2220. I'm not sure on what the extra are on the 1820 and 2220, although I think the 1820 may add an s-video output. You can search on prior auctions to get an idea of the going price.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post specifics about wild feeds I've found on the open forum, but I've seen a few news conferences and a couple basketball games so far.

Mike

Hello Jerry and welcome to the forum, I have a Toshiba TRX-1520 C/KU analog receiver that I slave through my Fortec DVB receiver. I have had it around six months now and its a great addition to my digital set up. All I need now is a C-band dish and I will be happy. I am sure the other members will chip in with their recommendations and what they use for analog reception. Well worth having one IMO.

Thanks for the quick responses! I hope to hear some other suggestions too.

A c-band bud is out of the question for me. The HOA would show up with pitchforks and torches. (Why did I buy a house with an HOA? :mad: )

So I want to maximise my ku experience, and for as long as there is analog up there, i'm gonna wanna be able to see it.

Any idea what the Toshiba's can be had for?

jerryphx said:

I got mine for about $45 which included the shipping. You can do a search of completed auctions, (search for Toshiba satellite receiver) on ebay to get a good idea of the going rate.

Mike

jerryphx said:
Thanks for the quick responses! I hope to hear some other suggestions too.
Welcome Jerry!
A c-band bud is out of the question for me. The HOA would show up with pitchforks and torches. (Why did I buy a house with an HOA? :mad: )
no sh*t buddy. I picked up a C-Band dish for free, but my HOA would kill me if I tried to put that up (They're already mad because they tried to implement a one dish rule and I have 6 :) I showed them the FCC document and he grumbled )
So I want to maximise my ku experience, and for as long as there is analog up there, i'm gonna wanna be able to see it.
SInce I found out about analog KU up there, I have a few analog receivers
Toshiba TRX-1520 (which I sold to PSB)
Toshiba TRX-1420 (nice unit)
Uniden Supra (bad hum on audio)
Uniden 4200

If you can get your hands on a Toshiba, I wouolod recommend that. Easy to set up
1520 cost me $30 inc. shipping
1420 cost me $28 inc shipping
Supra was $20 inc shipping (didnt know about the bad hum)

Once you get it running, you will be amazed at all the cool extra stuff you can get (especially sports) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Why am i loosing channels on G-10 KU

Looking for base ideas for my new (used) dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)