How Blu-ray might overcome DVD

I think the ideas presented here are good, if you are trying to build a videophile niche. Criterion and others are already in the business of producing premium content.

As others have mentioned, the studios cannot cut off their primary source, and the product is so similar that it will not be easy to displace.

The best answer I see is to pursue the dvd/Blu combo disc. Release everything in combo format. Then market Blu as the better DVD and emphasize good DVD playback that can be even better if one of these combo discs is inserted. Finally, bundle in HDMI with a quick install that emhasizes how to hook it up.

The best answer I see is to pursue the dvd/Blu combo disc. Release everything in combo format. Then market Blu as the better DVD and emphasize good DVD playback that can be even better if one of these combo discs is inserted.

I have two HD-DVDs players and will eventually get a Blu-ray when prices get around $150. (Just letting you know where I stand before I write below).

I was actually thinking of a two disc set. One Blu-ray and one SD-DVD disc of the movie. No seperate release of the Blu-ray or the SD-DVD. If they did something like this (if), I would think it would be somethimes next year. Wait till after this year's Christmas season so more players will be on the market before trying it. The first test would be best on a kids/cartoon movie. Here are a few reasons that I can think of.

1. People would have a Blu-ray version for their entertainment system and a standard version for the kids room, computer, car, relatives house, etc.
2. If they don't have a Blu-ray player then they can watch the SD-DVD version. This will move some people to eventually getting a Blu-ray and they won't have to buy the disc again. (I not sure the movie studios would like this one, because we know how they like to double dip:D)
3. The movie studios will only need to press one insert and stuff one movie case.

If they did something like this I would actually buy the movies so when I eventually got a player I would already have built up a nice collection.

I'm not sure this would work that well with some genres or certain movies, but who know. Just my two cents.

I have two HD-DVDs players and will eventually get a Blu-ray when prices get around $150. (Just letting you know where I stand before I write below).

I was actually thinking of a two disc set. One Blu-ray and one SD-DVD disc of the movie. No seperate release of the Blu-ray or the SD-DVD. If they did something like this (if), I would think it would be somethimes next year. Wait till after this year's Christmas season so more players will be on the market before trying it. The first test would be best on a kids/cartoon movie. Here are a few reasons that I can think of.

I started to write that, but decided this was still too complicated. A combo disc, while a technical challenge would just work anywhere.

I was talking to the nurse who comes in to attend to my wife today. She was telling me that she bought a Blu-Ray disk last weekend because everybody was telling her how much better they looked, but that it just kept clicking in her DVD player. She knew she needed a HD TV and had one, but nobody told her she needed a new BD player. She wanted the better quality, but obviously nobody had educated her on what was needed. She was also shocked when I told her the player currently cost $400.

If it had been a combo disc, she would have put it in and it would have played.

A combo disc, while a technical challenge would just work anywhere. If it had been a combo disc, she would have put it in and it would have played.

I did not mention a combo disc because I did not know if this was something a Blu-ray disc could do.

Last edited:
I did not mention a combo disc because I did not know if this was something a Blu-ray disc could do.

Combo discs were developed, but at least initially they had some problems that made them have too many rejects.

However I am against these combo discs, as they unnecessarily drive the cost up.

Blu-Ray drives will start popping up everywhere. I already see a number of PC's being offerred with them.

Yeah one thing I can see them doing is like movies that have games associated with them. Like lets say "HitMan" they could package the movie plus the game on the Disk just make one for console and PC. Or the other way around the gaming industry put their games on Blu-Ray plus add extra content like a movie or other features.. Anyway I think that would be cool..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)