How 'bout Voom as sponsor?

TheTimm

Made In Detroit
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 18, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So I tuned in to my favorite reality show, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Actually, it's the only reality show I can stand. I find it both entertaining and educational. And they do a whole lot of good for people -- a rarity for any show, let alone one of the reality genre.

Alas, it's not in high definition. :no I assume it's for the same reason any show (and almost all reality shows) wouldn't be in HD -- money. But I figure hell, with the way they throw dollars around on this show you'd think they could afford it. Then I think, why couldn't they just get someone to sponsor them and pay for the HD upgrade? Who wouldn't wanna be associated with a show this good and squeaky clean. Then as it hits me that their main sponsor is none other than Sears (I know, I know), I think why not Voom?

Whaddya think? Seems like a good fit, no? They could work it in on their frequent shopping trip to Sears. And since they often hook the family up with high-tech gadgets anyway, why not throw in some Va-Va-Voom. As they're showing off the new house they can point to the new plasma for a quick screen shot of MOOV-HD ( :D ) as the recipients squeal with delight. It's a natural. Why not?

Seriously, why not? I know nothing of the nuts and bolts -- not to mention dollars and cents -- involved, but it seems like a good way to get the Voom name out there. And with a natural tie-in to a place you can go (in theory) to demo it and order it. And, perhaps most importantly, I would no longer have to watch one of my favorite shows in (gasp!) standard definition each week. :D

Sean Mota said:
I read some rumors that Sears and Voom may not be in partnership anymore.
Voom has been locked out of all of the major retail outlets and now that sears and Kmart are under one ownership they are leaving??? Are they trying to die? or what?

TheTimm said:
So I tuned in to my favorite reality show, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Actually, it's the only reality show I can stand. I find it both entertaining and educational. And they do a whole lot of good for people -- a rarity for any show, let alone one of the reality genre.

Alas, it's not in high definition. :no I assume it's for the same reason any show (and almost all reality shows) wouldn't be in HD -- money. But I figure hell, with the way they throw dollars around on this show you'd think they could afford it. Then I think, why couldn't they just get someone to sponsor them and pay for the HD upgrade? Who wouldn't wanna be associated with a show this good and squeaky clean. Then as it hits me that their main sponsor is none other than Sears (I know, I know), I think why not Voom?

Whaddya think? Seems like a good fit, no? They could work it in on their frequent shopping trip to Sears. And since they often hook the family up with high-tech gadgets anyway, why not throw in some Va-Va-Voom. As they're showing off the new house they can point to the new plasma for a quick screen shot of MOOV-HD ( :D ) as the recipients squeal with delight. It's a natural. Why not?

Seriously, why not? I know nothing of the nuts and bolts -- not to mention dollars and cents -- involved, but it seems like a good way to get the Voom name out there. And with a natural tie-in to a place you can go (in theory) to demo it and order it. And, perhaps most importantly, I would no longer have to watch one of my favorite shows in (gasp!) standard definition each week. :D

I can see it too. They turn on the TV and the Voom STB locks up. They then waste time while it reboots. "Ok folks. Let's go to a commercial while the pos box reboots." After the commercial break. "Gee. Isn't there supposed to be a program guide?" "Let's see what's on OTA." Uh oh. Only have 1 channel. "Sorry folks. Tune in next week as we call the clueless Voom CSR and try to get an upgraded antenna. Oh yea and ask them why we were billed 5 times for this month."

ram1220 said:
I can see it too. They turn on the TV and the Voom STB locks up. They then waste time while it reboots. "Ok folks. Let's go to a commercial while the pos box reboots." After the commercial break. "Gee. Isn't there supposed to be a program guide?" "Let's see what's on OTA." Uh oh. Only have 1 channel. "Sorry folks. Tune in next week as we call the clueless Voom CSR and try to get an upgraded antenna. Oh yea and ask them why we were billed 5 times for this month."

I have a better idea about reality shows and advertising. Voom should hire ram1220 and zubinh and let them run a show of disgruntled losers trying to explain what Voom is about. It would be hilarious.

Sean Mota said:
I read some rumors that Sears and Voom may not be in partnership anymore.

Sean,

The last time I was in my local Sears here in Lancaster, PA, they were featuring Dish. The time previous they still had a centrally-located VOOM poster and Dish was nowhere to be found. I am somewhat worried about this. The marketing of VOOM MUST improve or they are going to have a big problem, imo. Also, I wish they would skip the Installers, Inc. middleman. I've had nothing but trouble from them. I know my local satellite installers and can talk with them via a local phone call, but VOOM won't contact them directly unless I request them as a subcontractor by name. Still, Installers, Inc. manages to figure ways to butcher the job. If those two issues, marketing and Installers, Inc. as a middleman would be improved, VOOM might take off, but so far I'm worried.

It's funny that it's not in HD, as all of the interview clips are in a 16:9 format. Maybe they will eventually be HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts