Status
Please reply by conversation.

mudrunner81

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 10, 2017
New England
Hi everyone,

I'm glad that I found this forum. I am extremely, extremely agitated, frustrated, and angry right now. We have been with Dish Network for the past approximately 8 years and prior to that we were with our local cable company. We have never had DirecTV before. Last week, after much contemplation due to our bill having recently gone up with Dish Network, my husband and I decided to give DirecTV a try, so we signed up online. We went through the whole sign up process on their web site, chose the package that we wanted, went through their credit check, chose our installation date, and we were good to go. We got an email confirmation of our order and installation date and we were even able to log into our new account on DirecTV's web site and see our new account number, our scheduled installation, and everything else to do with our new account. This was last Thursday and our installation was scheduled for today (Wednesday) between 12 and 4 p.m. I sat here literally ALL AFTERNOON waiting and NOBODY showed up. By the time 4 p.m. rolled around and the install tech had been a total no call/no show, I went online to the DirecTV customer service chat. I was absolutely furious. I demanded to know why nobody had shown up for our scheduled installation appointment and why nobody even bothered to call me to tell me that they were not coming. They informed me that our install had been canceled due to a past due balance at our address from an account that was closed back in January of 2008. My husband and I bought this house in May of 2008, so we didn't even live here then. They then gave me the name of the person who the account had belonged to and asked if that was anybody we knew. I said that I had never even heard of them. They then told me that they would be unable to open an account for us until the outstanding balance of the previous account that had been at our address was paid by money order or cashier's check and then they would only be able to reopen that old account, even though that account does not even belong to us and is in somebody else's name, somebody who we don't even know! HOW IS THIS EVEN LEGAL?????? I can't imagine how ANY company would be allowed to hold someone accountable for someone else's old bill and refuse someone service just because someone else who used to live at the same address nearly a decade ago owes them money. Seriously?!?!? Honestly, if this is the way DirecTV treats people, we don't want anything to do with them and we will just stay with Dish Network. In fact, the person on the DirecTV chat closed the chat on me because they were offended that I used the word "hell" when saying, "What in the hell is wrong with you people???" Unreal!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone else??? I'm honestly more furious that I had my entire day wasted waiting on these people and nobody even bothered to call or email us about this or tell us that our appointment had been canceled. I also am wondering if this is something that we should report to the Better Business Bureau or even the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division for our state.

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice on this!

Reactions: lparsons21
Hi everyone,

I'm glad that I found this forum. I am extremely, extremely agitated, frustrated, and angry right now. We have been with Dish Network for the past approximately 8 years and prior to that we were with our local cable company. We have never had DirecTV before. Last week, after much contemplation due to our bill having recently gone up with Dish Network, my husband and I decided to give DirecTV a try, so we signed up online. We went through the whole sign up process on their web site, chose the package that we wanted, went through their credit check, chose our installation date, and we were good to go. We got an email confirmation of our order and installation date and we were even able to log into our new account on DirecTV's web site and see our new account number, our scheduled installation, and everything else to do with our new account. This was last Thursday and our installation was scheduled for today (Wednesday) between 12 and 4 p.m. I sat here literally ALL AFTERNOON waiting and NOBODY showed up. By the time 4 p.m. rolled around and the install tech had been a total no call/no show, I went online to the DirecTV customer service chat. I was absolutely furious. I demanded to know why nobody had shown up for our scheduled installation appointment and why nobody even bothered to call me to tell me that they were not coming. They informed me that our install had been canceled due to a past due balance at our address from an account that was closed back in January of 2008. My husband and I bought this house in May of 2008, so we didn't even live here then. They then gave me the name of the person who the account had belonged to and asked if that was anybody we knew. I said that I had never even heard of them. They then told me that they would be unable to open an account for us until the outstanding balance of the previous account that had been at our address was paid by money order or cashier's check and then they would only be able to reopen that old account, even though that account does not even belong to us and is in somebody else's name, somebody who we don't even know! HOW IS THIS EVEN LEGAL?????? I can't imagine how ANY company would be allowed to hold someone accountable for someone else's old bill and refuse someone service just because someone else who used to live at the same address nearly a decade ago owes them money. Seriously?!?!? Honestly, if this is the way DirecTV treats people, we don't want anything to do with them and we will just stay with Dish Network. In fact, the person on the DirecTV chat closed the chat on me because they were offended that I used the word "hell" when saying, "What in the hell is wrong with you people???" Unreal!!!

Has this ever happened to anyone else??? I'm honestly more furious that I had my entire day wasted waiting on these people and nobody even bothered to call or email us about this or tell us that our appointment had been canceled. I also am wondering if this is something that we should report to the Better Business Bureau or even the Attorney General Consumer Protection Division for our state.

Go thru a local retailer. The should be able to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JSheridan
:welcome to Satelliteguys mudrunner81!

Unfortunately Directv has had this policy in effect for a long time. If there was someone at your address before you were there and they owe money, Directv won't do an install for you regardless of the fact that you don't owe the money. I'd be upset if I was you, too, but more because they apparently never informed you of this issue until you called. You can try reporting them to the BBB or your state agency, but I think I'd try going up the ladder within Directv first, then maybe to your local tv station that has an investigative reporter that handles issues like this. Good luck and please get back to us and let us know how it goes.

:welcome to Satelliteguys mudrunner81!

Unfortunately Directv has had this policy in effect for a long time. If there was someone at your address before you were there and they owe money, Directv won't do an install for you regardless of the fact that you don't owe the money. I'd be upset if I was you, too, but more because they apparently never informed you of this issue until you called. You can try reporting them to the BBB or your state agency, but I think I'd try going up the ladder within Directv first, then maybe to your local tv station that has an investigative reporter that handles issues like this. Good luck and please get back to us and let us know how it goes.

I completely disagree with these suggestions. If a company insists on doing stupid things they should not be rewarded for it. If it were me I would have told them where and just how far up they could stick it and moved on to another provider. No way would I ever do business with them.

I'll add this to my list of why I won't consider DirecTV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I completely disagree with these suggestions. If a company insists on doing stupid things they should not be rewarded for it. If it were me I would have told them where and just how far up they could stick it and moved on to another provider. No way would I ever do business with them.

I'll add this to my list of why I won't consider DirecTV.

Certainly your choice and I'd never fault anyone for making that choice.

Claude.
If you see this please send this guy a pm to help him out

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

This story is nuts. If really pissed as I would be, look into small claims court suite based on missed wages or lost time. Doesn't cost anything to look into.

Reactions: mudrunner81
This happens a lot. Visit a local retailer they should be able to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, thanks for all of the super quick replies! I'm glad that I am justified in being royally pissed off! After the way that I was treated today (not being called to inform me that no one was coming, having the customer service chat agent close the chat on me just for using the word "hell," and telling me that we are responsible for someone else's nearly decade old bill, I don't think we want anything to do with DirecTV and will just stick with Dish for the time being! My husband was also furious when I filled him in on what had happened (he was at work when they were supposed to be here). However, I definitely do want to report this to the highest person on the ladder at DirecTV, whether it be the CEO or someone else in the corporate office. If someone at DirecTV was apologetic enough and worked quickly to resolve this issue, then MAYBE we'd consider going with them. I also think I will take this matter to the BBB!

Oh, you know what's funny? After this all went down today, I went on DirecTV's official Facebook page and posted about our experience so that it could serve as a warning to others thinking of signing up for DirecTV. About an hour later, I found that DirecTV had BLOCKED me from their Facebook page and I could no longer post on it! REAL professional!

File a complaint with your state attorney general's office. You can probably do it on-line. I've done it 5 times over the past few years with vendors from Ford to Dish plus others and prevailed every single time. No one in this day and age should put up with crap like this, there are ways of fighting back, use them. Believe me when they get a letter from an AG it get's their attention.

I've sadly had to use the AG and Better Business Bureau many times myself and have usually gotten excellent results from it. I just wasn't sure exactly who would handle this type of an issue. I think I will contact the AG's office tomorrow! I honestly don't remember the last time I've been so infuriated!!!! I sat here ALL afternoon! I work from home, but I took the entire day off so that I could be 100% available for them while they were here. I'd LOVE to hold them responsible for my lost wages!!!

Ok,
First off, the No Call is unacceptable ... suppose to always call ahead of time.

Now, I understand your frustration and I think what MIGHT be happening is that the previous owner of the home probably had payment issues and was shut off for non payment ... then when you move in, they think that you are the same resident and using a different name to get service seeing they see a balance and its tied to the address.

I am in no way saying that that is Right, just one explanation for what may have happened.

Claude, having sold them will have more experience in this type of thing and may have a better answer for you.

If you Want D*, go for it ... (remember, theres a 2 year commitment once you start) if you decide to stay where you are, thats fine too .

Personally, if you decide to go with D*, I would call in and talk to someone directly, vs doing it online.
Or use a local installation company.

As far as the AG or the BBB, don't bother, its not gonna get you anywhere other than possible satisfaction that you did.

Reactions: Bascott97
Hi everyone,

Twitter can also go a long way in getting attention, much more than a Facebook post. You only have 140 characters so you have to be brief, but I've obtained success and you might as well.

A lot of people see Twitter so it can gain more attention from the company faster than Facebook or even the BBB.

Best of luck. You have a legitimate gripe.

I went through the same type of thing with Hotwire internet. The previous owner owed an unpaid balance and they would not install unless I proved to them, by showing them the deed to the home with my name on it, that I was not that person. It would have taken weeks to get the deed so I went with someone else.

Common practice that should be outlawed. Has happened to me twice.

Windstream did that to me when I bought my lake house. I had to take the deed in before I could get phone and Internet turned on. I would have went elsewhere but there are no other providers out there.

Same thing with my last house. I bought it out of foreclosure and the gas company refused to turn on the gas unless I paid the previous owners balance. I needed the gas on for inspections I took the sales contract and a letter from the lender all in to the gas company office, which was 30 miles on the other side of town and still they refused. I had no choice but to pay it then I filed a complaint with the corporation commission. I got a call later that day claiming it was an error blah blah blah and they would refund me on the first bill. Another call to the corporation commission and I had a refund the next day. ONG has been on my crap list ever since.

Reactions: stardust3
The cable companies have been black listing addresses for YEARS!

Certain addresses have a history of bad debt, and the cable companies will literally put a block on the address and either force the new customer who wants service to pay the back balance or jump through hoops to prove they are not associated with the previous account holder.

Comcast does this all day long. Charter/Time Warner does this in extreme cases, but usually they make the new customer pay the first bill and install fees in advance.

I am not aware of Directv/AT&T doing this same practice, I will however say that they do run a background check on all new customers and if they find bad debt before you get installed they will cancel your install without warning.

Based on this situation, there is nothing a retailer can do to fix this.

There are 1 of 2 possible explanations for this original posters situation.

1) Directv is associating bad addresses, which could be a new policy.

2) Something is linking this customer besides the address to the other customer. Perhaps family member, credit card, email address.

There is usually an exception process for the new customer to prove they are not associated with the previous account holder.

I will say from experience when I run into this situation, and the provider is requiring payment of the old debt in full there usually is a legit reason why.

People think Huspsnd, wife, kid, brother, sister is considered a new account but in reality the entire household gets associated with the debt from someone else in the household.

It's at the point where when I do a Comcast order, and we run into an issue with a previous debt, I don't even waste my time doing a research ticket and instead refer the customer to the service center or 800-Comcast.

9 out of 10 tickets we submit to research due to a bad debt for an address, or for a customer because the system saying the customer owes a bill.

We usually find the following

A) Finds more money the customer owes on older accounts.

B) we find the customer let someone else use their name.

C) we find the address became blocked due to another family member running up a bill.

D) identity theft, but the customer won't file a police report because they likely know the person.

Reactions: stardust3
As far as the no call no show. They usually send an email these days.

They will rarely call since customers screen Caller-ID these days, and the people who should be calling customers probably don't because every call will likely be an argument and not end well.

As far as the no call no show. They usually send an email these days.

They will rarely call since customers screen Caller-ID these days, and the people who should be calling customers probably don't because every call will likely be an argument and not end well.
I personally pre call All my subs, however, I get annoyed when the CBR is someone not even remotely associated with the sub.
That should stop.
If you want a pre call ... leave a number you can be reached at.

I'm in the Eastern time zone, start at 8 am, 1st call about 8 20 usually, yesterday my CBR showed a number in California .... yup, no one answered.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)