How can E* keep adding HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yep Jhon69, you are correct; but sometimes people don't see the common sense like you laid out. They just see a DBS company and the small charge and are instantly against it. And even people that could get OTA easy, they just want one rooftop device or simply see the fastest, lowest cost option to adding their locals as you described. I get LIL and OTA and also a very happy DirecTV customer.

I think it has more to do with the fact that when most people originally got cable, the locals were included automatically and that's why most people with newer homes (under 15-20 years old) don't even have an antenna on the roof, and probably don't even think about it as long as they get their locals with whoever gives them service today. When people switch from cable to satellite, they don't even consider (or think about it) an antenna as I see it.

Back to the original question of this thread: how can Echostar keep adding HD? By putting up two more birds and transitioning everything to mpeg-4. :D

What birds did they/are they launching and when? Weren't they impacted the most by the recent SeaLaunch failure? I thought the bird they had in reserve was in fact a backup bird; is this not the case?

What birds did they/are they launching and when? Weren't they impacted the most by the recent SeaLaunch failure? I thought the bird they had in reserve was in fact a backup bird; is this not the case?
Scotts thread didn't mention exactly how they were going to do this. He did have an update later on that said he was told Charlie wasn't supposed to announce the two new sats yet, that it was "Top Secret" within Echostar. It will be interesting to see if Charlie got all his facts right on his announcement when the official news comes out.

Why?.Because for $3. a month it's really a no brainer.Especially if your like me 80 miles away from the transmitters.Plus in our area we have a serious multipath problems.So you would be looking at at least a six foot directional antenna with a rotor not a pretty sight at all.I get a kick when one of our local station's transmitters goes down.They apologize over the air for the weak signal,but the signal from Directv coming from the station is still crisp and clear.Mark me down as one happy Directv locals customer.;)

You are one of the ones I say HD LiL's are good for. It's the others that make you go..."What for?"

Let's lay the facts out on the table.E* has bandwith now.D* doesn't that's why E* can add HD channels.But if for one minute you think you will see more HD on E*
as you will D* once D* has the bandwith you're kidding yourself.Just look at the SD channels for reference.Who carrys the most national SD channels now D*.Who carrys the most sports D*.Who carrys the most PI channels and shopping networks E*.And that fact is right in both E*"s and D*'s guides.;)

Our's isn't hanging over the roof.:)
I haven't been following very closely, and I don't know if you've tried, but there are antennas that attach to the satellite dish, and are almost invisible. With the additional advantage of potentially being able to get more channels than just the big 4 that D* and E* provide in most places.

Don't know maybe their wife doesn't want that big ugly thing hanging over the roof?.;)

Not sure what big ugly thing you are talking about. Again...I'm talking about the good coverage DMA's that don't need crazy DX'ing rigs.

Let's lay the facts out on the table.E* has bandwith now.D* doesn't that's why E* can add HD channels.But if for one minute you think you will see more HD on E*
as you will D* once D* has the bandwith you're kidding yourself.Just look at the SD channels for reference.Who carrys the most national SD channels now D*.Who carrys the most sports D*.Who carrys the most PI channels and shopping networks E*.And that fact is right in both E*"s and D*'s guides.;)

Let's lay the facts out... E* has more SD than D*. But I will give D* the award for being the SD-Lite leader!

Thee are NO secret satellites launching. Echostars recent 10-k has a listing of their plans and the SEC requires FULL disclosure.

Thee are NO secret satellites launching. Echostars recent 10-k has a listing of their plans and the SEC requires FULL disclosure.
From said document, posted in March, E-XI and AMC-14 are likely candidates for the next Echostar launches:

Satellites under Construction

We have entered into contracts to construct a number of additional satellites, including the following satellites which are contractually scheduled to be completed within the next three years.

• EchoStar XI, a Space Systems/Loral, Inc. (“SSL”) DBS satellite, is expected to be completed in 2007. However, the launch could be delayed until the second half of 2008 as a result of problems currently being experienced by the launch provider, Sea Launch. EchoStar XI is expected to provide service to CONUS from the 110 degree orbital location. This satellite will enable better bandwidth utilization, provide back-up protection for our existing offerings, and could allow DISH Network to offer other value-added services.

• Four additional SSL Ka and/or Ku extended band satellites are contractually scheduled to be completed during 2008 and 2009. They would enable better bandwidth utilization and could allow DISH Network to offer other value-added services.

• During January 2007, we entered into a contract for the construction of EchoStar XIV, an SSL DBS satellite, which is expected to be completed during 2009. This satellite has been designed with a combination of CONUS and spot beam capacity and could be used at multiple orbital locations. EchoStar XIV could also allow DISH Network to offer other value-added services.

We have also entered into agreements to lease capacity on the following satellites currently under construction.

• An SES Americom DBS satellite (“AMC-14”) which is currently expected to launch during late 2007, and commence commercial operation in early 2008 at an orbital location to be determined at a future date. The satellite is being equipped with transmit antennas optimized for multiple orbital locations, providing greater backup flexibility in the event certain other in-orbit satellites fail.

• A Canadian DBS satellite (“Ciel 2”) which is currently scheduled to be launched during 2009 and commence commercial operation at the 129 degree orbital location, has both spot and CONUS capabilities. This satellite could be used to provide HD programming to CONUS and as additional backup capacity.

So SES's AMC 14 and the Canadian Ciel 2 will provide them with leased transponders until they get their own birds built and launched? Sounds similar to them adding new space like previous leases and/or buying already operating birds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.