How can E* keep adding HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
- What two new satellites will be used by the end of this year to supply this new service since Charlie said that this new MPEG4 service would be up by EOY 2007?

They could always use Echostar 11 and AMC 14. Both are schedule to launch in 2007. IMO E* will not make a 2007 time line for this. I guess we will all just have to wait and see what happens.

2007 could be a really good year for both companies subs.:D

They could always use Echostar 11 and AMC 14. Both are schedule to launch in 2007. IMO E* will not make a 2007 time line for this. I guess we will all just have to wait and see what happens.

2007 could be a really good year for both companies subs.:D

Actually, E11 is licensed as a BACKUP sat - until I see FCC paperwork with anything different I don't think it can go into regular service. I also believe it is not now scheduled to launch until 2nd half of 2008. But - these things can change, let's see.

Scobuck,
E11 is replacing E8 @ 110. I know this 100%. (don't ask how, i just know that to be factual)

Rad,
Some good points. I haven't read all of the thread yet but I would imagine they are using these two satts temporarily to start phasing to 100% MPEG4? I don't believe they will use it for national HD either. But, i still don't see a bandwidth issue with them. They have so much bandwidth if they need it. 121 is doing nothing right now for example, other slots to come online in the near future. Lets put it this way, I don't see charlie being caught with his pants down with regards to easily giving up his HD stronghold. Hey, don't get me wrong... I am greatful D* is launching their birds and pushin on with HD too. I think for so long charlie has gone slow on the HD as he hasn't had to compete per say. I am glad that HD is forging on now. It's good for everyone. Cable people included. The ante is being upped.

-B

Scobuck,
E11 is replacing E8 @ 110. I know this 100%. (don't ask how, i just know that to be factual)

-B

So where is the second sat for Charlies 'GRAND PLAN' coming from? AMC-14 we know about, but...................

And it will have to be a bird with LOTS of space available!

Bounty, IMHO, Charlie did one of his famous off the cuff remarks that appears to have surprised other E* VP's at the conference, so at this time there's not much detail on how exactly this is all going to work.

With that said, reading Scotts notes on what this is it appears to be a completly new service that E* will be launching with these two new satellites and all MPEG4 based and available via a single 18" dish. Looks like E*'s plan is to get this service up and then all new customers will come up on this new platform and existing will be migrated over some unknown period of time. All current E* channels will be available on this new platform along with 200 SD and 100 HD LIL cities.

Now the $64,000 question is with having to provide all the current channels plus additional SD and HD LIL's how much more national HD can be fit onto these two satellites? Should be interesting to see what gets said in the official announcement of this new platform and how they see it expanding in the future.

Sco Buck,
Well this may have changed now, my "magic 8-ball/source" told me 61.5 a long time back for AMC 14 to replace E3. However... it is possible that things have changed now drastically. I too don't see short of a lease how to get two satt's launched in half a year... unless he has been planning this for some time now! ;0

-B

Sco Buck,
Well this may have changed now, my "magic 8-ball/source" told me 61.5 a long time back for AMC 14 to replace E3. However... it is possible that things have changed now drastically. I too don't see short of a lease how to get two satt's launched in half a year... unless he has been planning this for some time now! ;0

-B

As posted here already - it would be illegal for DISH to have had any plans of this type that were not mentioned in their SEC filings. Also, there are really no secrets in the sat business - when a company buys them - the news is prominent in many places throughout the industry - DISH has stated in their SEC documents their expected satellite lease, purchase, roll-out plans, etc. It is there for all to see. I don't see any sat other than AMC14 that is even close to launching by them or for them by December.

As posted here already - it would be illegal for DISH to have had any plans of this type that were not mentioned in their SEC filings. Also, there are really no secrets in the sat business - when a company buys them - the news is prominent in many places throughout the industry - DISH has stated in their SEC documents their expected satellite lease, purchase, roll-out plans, etc. It is there for all to see. I don't see any sat other than AMC14 that is even close to launching by them or for them by December.

If it is true that old Charlie was not supposed to say anything about this yet, they may still be working out the details prior to making any filing. There is nothing illegal about having plans without putting in information to the SEC. The SEC filing is the final steps in putting your plan into action. They have to have a joint agreement with whoever they are working with prior to doing the filing. They may be in the final stages of talks today and that is why there is no current filing.

If it is true that old Charlie was not supposed to say anything about this yet, they may still be working out the details prior to making any filing. There is nothing illegal about having plans without putting in information to the SEC. The SEC filing is the final steps in putting your plan into action. They have to have a joint agreement with whoever they are working with prior to doing the filing. They may be in the final stages of talks today and that is why there is no current filing.

I think its a dream personally - brought on by too much kool-aid.

E-XI will be completed by the end of the year, but it's launch may have been pushed back by the Sea Launch explosion.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix...vPXRlbmsmaXBhZ2U9NDcyNTk5MCZkb2M9MSZudW09MTU=

Much sooner? What does that mean? May 2008?

BTW thanks for copying my signature - you could get at least a little original.

Sco,
I've been talking about D* being the HD SPORTS LEADER, ever since the big deal was made about D* supposivly being the HD leader .....

But never decided to put it in my sig, because I didn't want to, so you stole my idea !!!!! but thats OK with me :D

Jimbo

I'm trying to figure out what happened to E*'s"enhanced" MPEG4 encoders where
they wouldn't need new satellites.Now their talking new satellites plus leasing some more?.Then their talking about changing everything to MPEG4?.That sounds
like a good plan cause E*'s not going to be able to keep up with D*'s massive HD
plan anyway.I also love the excuse on MLB EI"well anyone who wanted it is probably gone now anyways".What a joke!and the joke is on E* subscribers.The ones who were loyal and waited.If this doesn't wake people up nothing will.:rolleyes:

I only think there is one reason E*'s talking this way.Their trying to stop a massive defection to D*.;)

Bounty, IMHO, Charlie did one of his famous off the cuff remarks that appears to have surprised other E* VP's at the conference, so at this time there's not much detail on how exactly this is all going to work.

Is it just me, or is Charlie starting to sound more and more like E*'s version of Denny Crane?

Much sooner? What does that mean? May 2008?

BTW thanks for copying my signature - you could get at least a little original.
Probably. The end of this year would be TOO optimistic. Charlie has to be pessimistic when he's reporting to the SEC, but he has to be optimistic when he's rallying the E* troops. :D

And I didn't copy your sig, I clarified it. :)

I'm trying to figure out what happened to E*'s"enhanced" MPEG4 encoders where
they wouldn't need new satellites.Now their talking new satellites plus leasing some more?.Then their talking about changing everything to MPEG4?.That sounds
like a good plan cause E*'s not going to be able to keep up with D*'s massive HD
plan anyway.I also love the excuse on MLB EI"well anyone who wanted it is probably gone now anyways".What a joke!and the joke is on E* subscribers.The ones who were loyal and waited.If this doesn't wake people up nothing will.:rolleyes:

I only think there is one reason E*'s talking this way.Their trying to stop a massive defection to D*.;)

Here's one customer E* lost to D*. I had E* and was very happy with their HD. However, when they lost MLB Extra Innings I had no choice but to switch to D*. I am now eagerly awaiting D*'s new HD offerings, and also awaiting MLB EI all in HD for next season.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)