How can someone secure a dish....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mpd

Original poster
May 6, 2005
not just in terms of stability but in terms of well...theft.

I was driving around a neighborhood that was probably into dish for ethnic programming (they weren't dtv or dn)...there was dishes here...dishes there...but I saw on one of them a tripod but no dish...looked like someone just swiped it :eek:

I don't think anyone would do that for the most part in the suburbs but since most of the dishes there looked the same and they were so close together I can see with a demand someone could swipe it.

I have a "standing order' with a local customer, she is now on her 3rd satellite dish! She has no choice but to have the dish on the roof of her North facing apartment. About once a year she turns on the system and there is no picture as the dish has gone 'Walkies'

A good idea is to add a big "LIVE ELECTRICITY" sticker to the dish or some self tapping screws through the dish mount holding the dish and mast together!

At least it will take them longer to steal!

theives are one reason to mount on the roof, especially if your roof... thieves are after easy to get at stuff. The fact that our roof is actually two stories almost from the front, and is fenced in in the back makes me feel safer that the dish ain't going nowhere unless I take it down. I guess most parts have serial numbers, so you could register those, but like you said one dish looks like millions others, so I highly doubt cops are going to actively scout for stolen dishes.

If you can get a portable welder to the dish a few spot welds to the nuts and bolts and it isn't going anywhere, just remove your LNB and cable before taking a welder to the dish.
If that's not possible how about the strongest thread locking compound and epoxy over the nuts and in the screw heads, that should at least slow them down a bit.

just make sure you never have to undo those screws if you go to do all of that. I guess a drilled hole in the mount + a bike chain attached to another thing permanently attached to your property could be helpful too.

That sounds like a better idea. How about spot welding the bolts on the Dish bracket and using a chain and padlock to attach to some immovable object.
Maybe weld an eye to the Post or drill a hole in the post and instal an eyebolt secure the nut my welding or making the nut hard to get off with epoxy and/or filing round.

and of course, if it's really all that big of worry for you, stick a gps tracking system on it :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Euro birds over here??

question about TPs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)