How can they justify this

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ufgator1971

Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
When I ordered Directv back in September of '07, I was told I had to pay $300 up front. I payed the money under the understanding it was based on my credit history. When I received my first bill I noticed I was not getting the promotion I signed up for. When I called them over it I was told there was no such promotion. I told them I was told this by a customer service person prior to ordering online. I then told them I wanted to cancel service which I did base on the false information December of '07. Directv then debited my bank account for over $1000. When I called about that I was told it was for over $400 for equipment, $300 for the bill and $300 for early cancellation. I am fine with the bill I owed and the early cancellation. When asked about the rest they said they would refund the equipment charge when it was returned which I did. I still have not gotten that money back. I then asked them about the $300 dollars I paid up front and was told it was non-refundable. When asked where the money went all they could tell me was it went to the corperation. They said it was in no way applied to my account that it was a fee and not a deposit. I asked them if everyone payed this fee and they said no, it was based on my credit history.

I guess what i'm asking is anyone able to explain how they are able to justify this. I definately would not recommend using Directv unless you want to give them your money for nothing, especially if they ask you to pay anything up front.

Good golly, where to start.....I can't. First, if this is legit I feel bad for you. That said, I would think that if you had to pay the three bills up front it wouldn't be a fee, but some kind of deposit. Either way by agreeing to do it, you should have something that says what in fact it was for. Now, you just begun and have a $300 bill, yikes. Hope you kept proof of sending the equipment back. Sounds like a diaster to me.

Now to the flame. Know what your getting before you pay for it. This is your first post so we don't know if your just posting a negative towards D* just to do it. I for wone have never been charged for services that I wasn't getting. Your reccomendation doesn't mean a whole hee of a lot. Sorry, I wish you luck in getting this straightened out. Let us know, and oh, welcome to the forum. I hope your next post is a happier one!

So many questions.

What was the promo you were offered?
What was the $300 for? Equipment? Credit?

You canceled that quick? Did you not ask for a supervisor to confirm?
There are upfront fees for advanced receivers (DVR/HD). Is that it?

You really need to provide more details for anyone to help.

Man sorry for your troubles. But im outside of Philly Pa and i ordered Direct in January i didnt have to pay anything up front nor did i have to give a credit card number or ss number. Hell a month after service i even got them to give me the hddvr for $99 and they billed that to my account. They have no credit card on file for my account.

When I ordered Directv back in September of '07, I was told I had to pay $300 up front. I payed the money under the understanding it was based on my credit history. When I received my first bill I noticed I was not getting the promotion I signed up for. When I called them over it I was told there was no such promotion. I told them I was told this by a customer service person prior to ordering online. I then told them I wanted to cancel service which I did base on the false information December of '07. Directv then debited my bank account for over $1000. When I called about that I was told it was for over $400 for equipment, $300 for the bill and $300 for early cancellation. I am fine with the bill I owed and the early cancellation. When asked about the rest they said they would refund the equipment charge when it was returned which I did. I still have not gotten that money back. I then asked them about the $300 dollars I paid up front and was told it was non-refundable. When asked where the money went all they could tell me was it went to the corperation. They said it was in no way applied to my account that it was a fee and not a deposit. I asked them if everyone payed this fee and they said no, it was based on my credit history.

I guess what i'm asking is anyone able to explain how they are able to justify this. I definately would not recommend using Directv unless you want to give them your money for nothing, especially if they ask you to pay anything up front.

You should have talked to the Retention dept before deciding to cancel, sounds like a mis understanding that probably would have been taken care of ....

Jimbo

Man sorry for your troubles. But im outside of Philly Pa and i ordered Direct in January i didnt have to pay anything up front nor did i have to give a credit card number or ss number. Hell a month after service i even got them to give me the hddvr for $99 and they billed that to my account. They have no credit card on file for my account.

Curious, How do you pay them ?

Jimbo

Call your bank and file a claim if they aren't refunding your money.

The exact same way I've done for years. I wrote DirecTV a personal check and mailed this in with my bill.:D:D:D

I am impressed that they did not get his Social Security...
And he is probably paying with a check/money order..

Even if he pays with a check they have his bank and routing number and account, so they DO have access to his accounts, so I don't know why he found it strange that they found thier money.
Just because he didn't pay with a credit card doesn't mean they don't have access ...

Jimbo

If a customer dosen't credit qualify and has to pay an upfront fee they also do not qualify for the current promotions. That is standard business rules from D*. If a customer dosen't return leased equipment they are charged for the equipment, also standard business rules. If a customer cancells early they are liable for EARLY CANCELLATION FEES, also standard business rules. Maybe ufgator1971 has a reason for a poor credit report, sounds like he can't follow the rules he agreed to or impulsively does things.

How did you return the equipment to them, and did you get a tracking number to confirm that they received it? How long after you canceled the account did you it take you to ship the receivers back? Have they received the receivers? How long has it been since you've canceled your account? It does take time for corporations to issue checks, but if it really has been since Sept/Oct since you canceled, that is too long to wait for the money.

Even if he pays with a check they have his bank and routing number and account, so they DO have access to his accounts, so I don't know why he found it strange that they found thier money.
Just because he didn't pay with a credit card doesn't mean they don't have access ...

Jimbo

If this customer mailed a check with the bill to pay that one specific bill "and" DirecTV takes that information after to collect on a future bill that would be against the law as its check fraud. They also cannot use a credit card that is on file for payments to pay say a charge for not returning the hardware as they don't have an authorization to make a charge. They can however send your account to collections. The only exception to this rule is if you gave them your credit card for autopay as I believe this does give them the legal ability to charge your card. But if you give a credit card for one use only say to pay one single bill that doesn't give DirecTV the legal right to use that card again without your consent.

Many companies do this all the time and most customers do owe the money so they just accept it and don't dispute this illegal charge because its again a charge without your consent. They can sue you and send your account to collections and turn off and refuse service but that is about it.

Well I am planning on getting an attorney, however don't know if it will do any good. they have alot more money than i do. especially now

Now does everyone believe me when I said they can charge your card without your say so. ! They Can he's not lying!
Now the rules are if you have a low credit score ,You automaticly do NOT quailify for a promotion. In turn, You have to front equipment lease fees and I believe 1 month programming. I almost would bet money that they told you this. You most likely didn't pay attention. It happends! You most certainly should have spoke with retension department ,before dropping service.

Last edited:
If a customer dosen't credit qualify and has to pay an upfront fee they also do not qualify for the current promotions. That is standard business rules from D*. If a customer dosen't return leased equipment they are charged for the equipment, also standard business rules. If a customer cancells early they are liable for EARLY CANCELLATION FEES, also standard business rules. Maybe ufgator1971 has a reason for a poor credit report, sounds like he can't follow the rules he agreed to or impulsively does things.
Sorry BoBa ,I didn't see you answerd this. I'll read futher nextime.:hatsoff:

Sorry buddy but a company policy doesn't trump federal, state and/or local laws the last time I checked. Say if you ordered your system from Best Buy and payed the charges for the leased hardware with a credit card. Now say you decide to pay each month your programming bill with a credit card but not as an auto pay. Now lets say that you cancel service and refuse to send back the hardware. If DirecTV tried to charge you "anything" onto that credit card they are breaking the law. This would be considered credit card fraud across state lines and as such can be considered a federal crime in which the FBI can become involved.

Even if DirecTV said in the contract that they can use an existing credit card on file to charge you these fees it still doesn't make it legal. I've seen so many contracts during my lifetime that aren't even legal but as with anything a company can get away with these actions if nobody fights the contract in court.

Now again like I said DirecTV can sue you in court and most likely will win. They can hurt your credit by sending your account to collections. If you say had three HD DVR boxes with a value above say 1,000 they could even charge you with grand theft. I doubt they would ever do this as an action like this could lose them far more customers just on bad press alone but it doesn't change the fact that they could if they so wanted to.

Oh and a low credit score can allow DirecTV to require higher upfront charges or they can refuse service. But if DirecTV allows the customer to receive services it would be against the law to refuse to offer programming discounts regardless of your belief that its their business policy which isn't true by the way. The only part you had true is the fact they can refuse to offer a low credit customer the discount on hardware (ie free HD box/SD DVR and/or 200.00 HD DVr box) but that is about it.

If you walk into a Best Buy store they can refuse to give you a line of credit to buy a Computer but they sure as heck can't refuse to offer say an instant and/or mail-in rebate or any additional free stuff that may come with the purchase.

Jimbo i pay my bill with an electronic check. But it is not on autopay. So even if D has the account and routing numbers they cannot just take it out. Somehow since i Live In Pa. Stae law requires that we do not have to give our credit card number for services like this.

Plus i just dont do auto pay with anyone but Utilities. No one is getting into my account.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts