How DISH quietly starter ripping off subscribers of International (Russian) package, or your thought

dimitriz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2006
So DISH had (still listed on their website) 2 Russian packages:

#1 NTV America for $19.99/month and
#2 Russian MegaPack (includes NTV) for $24.99/month

As of October 1st NTV apparently ceased broadcasting (moving to DirectTV) and DISH duplicated one of the other channels in the package in its place.
It is the main channel that is pretty much watched in all households, the rest of the channels are worth about $5 if that.

Well, now DISH just placed some filler channel which I call filler because the content quality is just incomparable to NTV and still charges everyone $25/m.

I just don't see how Dish removed the Main Russian channel and put a filler in it's place then went ahead with charging the same Premium price on the package.

I chatted with their customer service much there. The guy did paste me a list of the new channels that are supposed to be in Mega Pack:
(different then whats on the website)
157 NHL NETWORK (NHLN) N/A 61.5 6 SPORTS
157 NHL NETWORK (NHLN) N/A 110 15 SPORTS
477 NHL NETWORK ALTERNATE (NHLNA) N/A 72.7 29 SPORTS
477 NHL NETWORK ALTERNATE (NHLNA) N/A 119 12 SPORTS
885 NHL NETWORK (NHLN) N/A 61.5 6 SPORTS
885 NHL NETWORK (NHLN) N/A 110 15 SPORTS
9793 EURONEWS (EURNS) N/A 118.7 2 INTERNATIONAL
9897 AMEDIA (AMDIA) N/A 118.7 20 INTERNATIONAL
9898 TV CENTER INTERNATIONAL (TVCI) N/A 118.7 28 INTERNATIONAL
9899 CTC (CTC) N/A 118.7 29 INTERNATIONAL
9900 DETSKY KIDS (DTSKY) N/A 118.7 15 INTERNATIONAL
9901 AMEDIA (AMDIA) N/A 118.7 7 INTERNATIONAL
9902 TV1000 RUSSIAN KINO (RKINO) N/A 118.7 27 PROGRAMMING
9904 RUSSIAN ILLUZION (ILUZN) N/A 118.7 24 INTERNATIONAL
9905 TV RAIN (RAIN) N/A 118.7 2 INTERNATIONAL

I see absolutely nothing in the list to justify the substitution.

Your thoughts?

So DISH had (still listed on their website) 2 Russian packages:

#1 NTV America for $19.99/month and
#2 Russian MegaPack (includes NTV) for $24.99/month

As of October 1st NTV apparently ceased broadcasting (moving to DirectTV) and DISH duplicated one of the other channels in the package in its place.
It is the main channel that is pretty much watched in all households, the rest of the channels are worth about $5 if that.

Well, now DISH just placed some filler channel which I call filler because the content quality is just incomparable to NTV and still charges everyone $25/m.

I just don't see how Dish removed the Main Russian channel and put a filler in it's place then went ahead with charging the same Premium price on the package.

I chatted with their customer service much there. The guy did paste me a list of the new channels that are supposed to be in Mega Pack:
(different then whats on the website)
157 NHL NETWORK (NHLN) N/A 61.5 6 SPORTS
157 NHL NETWORK (NHLN) N/A 110 15 SPORTS
477 NHL NETWORK ALTERNATE (NHLNA) N/A 72.7 29 SPORTS
477 NHL NETWORK ALTERNATE (NHLNA) N/A 119 12 SPORTS
885 NHL NETWORK (NHLN) N/A 61.5 6 SPORTS
885 NHL NETWORK (NHLN) N/A 110 15 SPORTS
9793 EURONEWS (EURNS) N/A 118.7 2 INTERNATIONAL
9897 AMEDIA (AMDIA) N/A 118.7 20 INTERNATIONAL
9898 TV CENTER INTERNATIONAL (TVCI) N/A 118.7 28 INTERNATIONAL
9899 CTC (CTC) N/A 118.7 29 INTERNATIONAL
9900 DETSKY KIDS (DTSKY) N/A 118.7 15 INTERNATIONAL
9901 AMEDIA (AMDIA) N/A 118.7 7 INTERNATIONAL
9902 TV1000 RUSSIAN KINO (RKINO) N/A 118.7 27 PROGRAMMING
9904 RUSSIAN ILLUZION (ILUZN) N/A 118.7 24 INTERNATIONAL
9905 TV RAIN (RAIN) N/A 118.7 2 INTERNATIONAL

I see absolutely nothing in the list to justify the substitution.

Your thoughts?
Easy. If one wishes to view NTV, they must go to Directv.

That's typical Dish policy when they drop a channel lately. Try to substitute it with something else, charge the same price and hope nobody notices.

Time to look at Directv or see if there is anything available free to air.

Don't know if this is much of a help, but I spent the grand total of $2 for a Google Play store app called Russian TV, which I loaded onto my Logitech Revue. Haven't played with it much, and it may not be live TV, but it definitely has NTV there.

They did the same crap when they lost Channel One to DirecTV. Kept charging the same amount even when they lost the #1 Russian Channel!

Seems Dish just doesn't give a damn about their customers anymore.....

Not the main channels for that language.

Point taken.
But can you speak English and get an English package, or ask for a discount for losing the main channel,if you have to live with it under contact? Another words, still seems like there are alternatives to what the main complaint is - costs too much for what it in the package now. And certainly not everyone with that package has a long contract remaining. Not an ideal situation, certainly agree with that.

I have always said there does have to be some tipping point to where Dish would have to let you out of a contract if they lost enough or perhaps a set of certain channels. If that channel was the main reason anyone would sign up for that package, it may be Dish has to let you out of the remaining contract, if you are in one. But it might take a court ruling to do so. One would hope (If that channel really is the only real reason to subscribe to that package) Dish would let you end your contract.

Last edited:
My biggest problem is that Dish requires their Basic package if you want any International packages. So like my grandparents they were forced to get Basic + International. Now they lost their main reason they went with Dish (NTV) and they are still under contract. They don't even watch anything else. Not to mention I know probably about 4 families that are in the same situation.

As far as my stuff...., I am gonna start saving $130/m that I wont have to sent to Dish anymore.
Already have a 30ft antenna in the back of the house with about 40 HD channels I can scan.
Then there is an MCE PC that will have 2-3 OTA tuners, run Hulu $8/m, Netflix $8/m and Kartina.TV IPTV (has MCE plugin) with about 130 Russian channels for ~$15/m.
Definitely much better deal then going with Dish at this point.

Yes, $10 20 channels. There is no requirement to get internationals. The other way around, to get internationals one way is to have the $10 package. Another would be any core package.

Then you'd probably have to get Welcome Pack or "regular" (English/Spanish) pack.

International "Basic" is 20 channels (listed as 20...I count 27)...mainly the PI channels but a few that are only on 118.7

BabyFirstTV
Eternal Word Television Network
Inspiration
TBN
BBC America
Eurochannel
Kids & Teens Television
The Impact Network
Blue Ocean Network
EuroNews
LinkTV
The Nautical Channel
BYUTV
Fashion TV
Luxe TV
Trace Urban
Christian Television Network
France 24
NASA
Universal Sports
C-SPAN
Free Speech TV
NDTV 24*7
V-ME
Ebru TV
HITN
Russia Today

My biggest problem is that Dish requires their Basic package if you want any International packages. So like my grandparents they were forced to get Basic + International. Now they lost their main reason they went with Dish (NTV) and they are still under contract. They don't even watch anything else. Not to mention I know probably about 4 families that are in the same situation.

As far as my stuff...., I am gonna start saving $130/m that I wont have to sent to Dish anymore.
Already have a 30ft antenna in the back of the house with about 40 HD channels I can scan.
Then there is an MCE PC that will have 2-3 OTA tuners, run Hulu $8/m, Netflix $8/m and Kartina.TV IPTV (has MCE plugin) with about 130 Russian channels for ~$15/m.
Definitely much better deal then going with Dish at this point.
there is always the "mummybox" channel with the roku..not sure how long it will last but they have several russian channels

Point taken.
But can you speak English and get an English package, or ask for a discount for losing the main channel,if you have to live with it under contact? Another words, still seems like there are alternatives to what the main complaint is - costs too much for what it in the package now. And certainly not everyone with that package has a long contract remaining. Not an ideal situation, certainly agree with that.

I have always said there does have to be some tipping point to where Dish would have to let you out of a contract if they lost enough or perhaps a set of certain channels. If that channel was the main reason anyone would sign up for that package, it may be Dish has to let you out of the remaining contract, if you are in one. But it might take a court ruling to do so. One would hope (If that channel really is the only real reason to subscribe to that package) Dish would let you end your contract.

Yes, $10 20 channels. There is no requirement to get internationals. The other way around, to get internationals one way is to have the $10 package. Another would be any core package.

Your blind defense of Dish is well documented. But in this case you do not seem to grasp the concept, and would be best suited to just sit on the sidelines here.

Last edited:

Yep, there's that blind defense of Dish. And I would not tell someone to not post btw. Disagree sure.
The concept is if they lost the only reason to have the international Russian channels, there are other options like getting an English speaking package for now if stuck in a contract. In additon getting some international programming with the $10 package, as I do with the World Pack. If you can't get out of the contract at least get some programming out of it. And I think my post I quoted was quite clear - I do think they should be let out of the contract.

All they wanted was NTV channel. They paid $24.99/month for the Russian pack, PLUS $10 for a required minimum English package in order to get that Russian pack.

DISH has removed the ONE CHANNEL they wanted. They DID NOT WANT the English channels, THEY HAD TO BUY THEM.

Now they are stuck with a $10 package they didn't want in the first place.

Your paragraph you did not quote, is the one I was referring to. For some reason, you were trying to say, "Hey, it's OK, just do it this way".

Yes, your second paragraph alludes to Dish letting someone out of a contract, but it might take a court ruling.....why should it have to go so far???

I'll stand by my blind defense comment. One only needs to read your past history of numerous pro-Dish posts.

Last edited:
I'm so anti Dish it isn't funny. But I can't see any grounds for a customer being let out of a contract just because they basically regret it's terms ex post facto. All programming agreements are perfectly clear : All programming is subject to change without notice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)