How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

To All
For what it is worth I received the update on 8/6/2008 and like everyone else did not get the channel 501 with 1080P. This morning I checked and I have the 501 with 1080 p and the movie I am legend. There is also a message that there may be a 15 second delay while dish checks the 1080 p connection? I thought I would pass this along to those waiting.
rlh149
A few people have run that test and gotten a negative report back. We are still waiting for the first successful viewing!

6.22 and still on 5.12 and normally i get it first.....whatever
I don't have a 1080p anyways and am NOT paying for HD if I did have it
I already pay them about 150 a month and have 4 pay channels and enuf HD now that i never watch , lol
I want the CW in HD and superstations and I will be happy!

After pressing rent and the test is there an option to back out or have you rented the movie no matter what. I want to know if my 1080P HDTV is recognized but don't want to rent at this moment or in the next 24 hours.

Ron

I checked your model to see if it has 1080p24 support. It does not.

That is strange. I called Samsung tech support this morning and they told me my set would support 1080p 24fps on the HDMI input. May I ask where you found this info?

Thanks.....Dan

That'd be nice to know. But I'd want to see it in writing, for whatever that's worth. Some places Samsung says it has an ATSC tuner in it, but on their PDF it only says NTSC.

I'm in Hawaii and got the update on my 722 a few days ago, but am still waiting for "I am Legend" to show up.

I do have 5 VOD channels with other films listed. They don't have a specific 1080p designation. Are all Dish VOD movies going to be 1080p?

My TV (60" sony A3000) accepts 1080p in 24/30/60 fps. It has great upconversion software, including 120 fps for action, so it makes dish HD look great. Even DVD's look very good. Given all this, native 1080p input (such as blu-ray) has slightly better PQ, but not so noticeable, since the set makes all HD look so good.

The bottome line is..... what we really need in Hawaii and Alaska is more HD channels, not $7 1080p hd rentals that you can't archive.

Does anyone know if the new e* XI bird will be bringing more HD content to Hawaii and Alaska?

Mahalo.

The dish csr's are clueless. I went to chat with on just to see what they would say about "Turbo HD".

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Gary M.
(03) Gary M: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in HD and DVR. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03) Gary M: Sure!
(03) Gary M: Let me help you with all the information.
James Tate: i have seen were the HD receivers will have i am legend in 1080p on channel 501 this month for a discounted price but do not see it as of yet
James Tate: I have 8 channel 501's but no i am legend
(03) Gary M: Thank you for your time and patience.
(03) Gary M: At present, the 1080p format programming is available only in DVOD.
(03) Gary M: That is Video On demand services which is very similar to PPV.
James Tate: on channels 501 right?
(03) Gary M: DISH On Demand is available today on the DISH Player DVR* Movies On Demand is the first category available with more to follow soon.
(03) Gary M: Press the DVR button on your remote from your main system menu .
(03) Gary M: You will get the video On demand option.
(03) Gary M: That is where you can watch the content in 1080p resolution.
James Tate: i see that but there are 8 movies here but no i am legend are all the movies here in 1080p?
(03) Gary M: It means the movie is not listed and available at this point of time.
James Tate: but in the email i got it says i am legend will be offered on VOD in 1080p for a discounted price all this month. it did not state that any other movies at this time will be in 1080p and there is no indication of this in the vod service on the receiver.
James Tate: this is a quote i got from the email you guys sent me. "
In celebration of our new Turbo-charged HD, DISH Network will be offering a 1080p HD movie at a reduced price during the month of August! Watch "I Am Legend" on DISH On Demand for only $2.99 August 1-30! "
James Tate: its augest 8 and still no i am legend.
(03) Gary M: It could be a technical issue.
(03) Gary M: Let me connect you to the technical department.
(03) Gary M has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the (04) Technical Support department to assist you.

Note that may TV's may support 1080p24,and even report they do to an inquiry on their HDMI port... yet all set will do is what it does with anything coming in, convert it to what it actually outputs.

That is strange. I called Samsung tech support this morning and they told me my set would support 1080p 24fps on the HDMI input. May I ask where you found this info?

Thanks.....Dan

I am happy to report that I am Legend ( VOD 1080p) showed up on my guide this morning. I haven't tried it yet.

Ok , now I have rented it and it plays fine. Looks good, but when I do the HDMI test, it still shows my TV as 1080i.

501?? Are they going backwards?? I have 512 on my 622.

The software update number is actually 6.10, whereas the channel that should pop up after the update is 501. And actually there should be multiple channel 501s present, as they are VOD channels and you can order a few different movies (and if you're lucky, I Am Legend will show up with the 1080p option, although this may take quite some time, as you have probably read).

Thanks.....Dan
Take a look half way down on this specs list:
PriceRunner United States - Samsung LN40A750 Product Information

I did find someone else who says it will work but he says:
"...it displays 1080P/24 correctly on the screen when AMP is turned off..."

You might need a firmware update.

Where is my upgrade?

So where is this?

I have a 622 receiver, but still at L512 software and no channel-501? I do get the TURBO channel though telling me I have been upgraded. Frustrating!

So where is this?

I have a 622 receiver, but still at L512 software and no channel-501? I do get the TURBO channel though telling me I have been upgraded. Frustrating!

After long discussions with csr's and tech support, I was finally told that whatever 622's did not have the channel 501 on 8-7, would have it by 8-11. After making a stink with the csr, I was given 3 months of hd programming free(3 $20.00 credits). :eureka

Take a look half way down on this specs list:
PriceRunner United States - Samsung LN40A750 Product Information

I did find someone else who says it will work but he says:
"...it displays 1080P/24 correctly on the screen when AMP is turned off..."

You might need a firmware update.

Thanks for the info. I'll check for any firmware updates. While the movie is playing, I press info on the TV remote and it say 1920X1080 @ 24 Hz. NO 1080p or i, just 1080.

I'm in Hawaii and got the update on my 722 a few days ago, but am still waiting for "I am Legend" to show up.

I do have 5 VOD channels with other films listed. They don't have a specific 1080p designation. Are all Dish VOD movies going to be 1080p?

My TV (60" sony A3000) accepts 1080p in 24/30/60 fps. It has great upconversion software, including 120 fps for action, so it makes dish HD look great. Even DVD's look very good. Given all this, native 1080p input (such as blu-ray) has slightly better PQ, but not so noticeable, since the set makes all HD look so good.

The bottome line is..... what we really need in Hawaii and Alaska is more HD channels, not $7 1080p hd rentals that you can't archive.

Does anyone know if the new e* XI bird will be bringing more HD content to Hawaii and Alaska?

Mahalo.

I have the same TV and a 722 with the new software, but no 501 or any VOD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)