How Dish's 1080p is going to work...

Thanks for the info. I'll check for any firmware updates. While the movie is playing, I press info on the TV remote and it say 1920X1080 @ 24 Hz. NO 1080p or i, just 1080.
My Samsungs don't display the 'p' when it's progressive, (default). If it's interlaced, then the 'i' will be shown after the 1080, otherwise the 'p' is assumed.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD I AM LEGEND IN 1080P IS SWEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!

just kidding!

AAAAAAH Dish ETA of I Am Legend on the 9th seems off a tad.
I guess that is why they are offerring it at a discount the WHOLE MONTH.
DISH CSR/TECH didnt seem to know much about this.
Oh well I am looking forward to eventually getting it.
I am beginning to wonder if they are having issues getting it out.
:(

Finally have "I am Legend"

Finally have the movie.

When I woke up Saturday morning I checked to see if it was available and it was. I am hoping to watch it today. I will check back and let you know how it was.

Rglore, My 5265F Samsung displays 1980x1080p with V 24Hz When watching " I am Legend". I did not see much change. Maybe a Movie with Scenery would look better. When doing the HDMI Test on my 722 it showed a Video format of 1250ix50hz.

Last edited:
Hmmm...just got back from vacation...no channel 501 yet. You'd think I would have gotten it faster, since it was in standby for 2 weeks.

"I am Legend" finally showed on channel 501 this morning. The test took just a few seconds, and was apparently successfully, so my Samsung HL-T6187S, and my Onkyo 705 passed muster.

That was a relief, since I know that my Panasonic BD30 BluRay player refuses to send 24fps to the Samsung unit, because the Samsung apparently doesn't issue a proper handshake to HDMI for that mode. It seems that the 722 must be doing a "forced" 24fps, but that's fine with me. We know that the Samsung will process that mode. The Samsung info shows "1920x1080@24fps".

I was surprised that the movie began pretty much instantly after I started it. It seems to me that the content for the channel 501 VOD movies must already have been downloaded to the 722 to start that quickly.

Video and audio quality seem fine. I'm just into the first half hour, or so, but much of the movie so far is quite dark, and I haven't seen any of the motion artifacts or color distortion on dark material that I have seen on some Dish HD programs.

My Samsungs don't display the 'p' when it's progressive, (default). If it's interlaced, then the 'i' will be shown after the 1080, otherwise the 'p' is assumed.

Thanks for that info !! I guess I'm all set then.

Is it just me or is this a big yawn factor for lots of others? I just can't get excited about paying $6 or 7 for a 24 rental window for ANY movie. I don't want VOD to succeed...

I am more excited about the next XBOX system update in which we will get integrated Netflix streaming. I know the quality isn't that great but the feature is going to get me to rejoin Netflix.

Is it just me or is this a big yawn factor for lots of others? I just can't get excited about paying $6 or 7 for a 24 rental window for ANY movie. I don't want VOD to succeed...

I am more excited about the next XBOX system update in which we will get integrated Netflix streaming. I know the quality isn't that great but the feature is going to get me to rejoin Netflix.

For me, anything less than something approximating BluRay quality is unacceptable. I was impressed with the convenience, audio/video qualilty, and the setup of the Dish VOD product, but I think the price is too high. $4.99 is the highest I will tolerate. For $6.99, I'd rather make the trek to Blockbuster to rent a BluRay. That way I can also enjoy the added material on the DVD, and more time to use it.

After long discussions with csr's and tech support, I was finally told that whatever 622's did not have the channel 501 on 8-7, would have it by 8-11. After making a stink with the csr, I was given 3 months of hd programming free(3 $20.00 credits). :eureka
well its 8-11 and my 622 is not still updated :( shame.

For me, anything less than something approximating BluRay quality is unacceptable. I was impressed with the convenience, audio/video qualilty, and the setup of the Dish VOD product, but I think the price is too high. $4.99 is the highest I will tolerate. For $6.99, I'd rather make the trek to Blockbuster to rent a BluRay. That way I can also enjoy the added material on the DVD, and more time to use it.
Even at $4.99 I won't bite on VOD. $2.99 specials, maybe not of just released material(like this Legends movie) would be my way of enticing people to try it somewhat regularly. Just like they do for the 99cents or $1.99 specials they run for SD movies.

Looks great on my old Samsung DLP, no blue ray to compare but for 2.99 ynot, 6.99 is steep. My only complaint is how some of the car/suv scenes now look "more" computer generated at 1080P than before.

Can someone confirm the following? I swear I read it in a thread but can't find it now. Anyone I thought I read that when watching 1080p, TV2 output is disabled? Is this true? Also are all of TV1's output still active?

or have a friend with it. 8 friends can watch netflix together, cant wait to see how it works

well its 8-11 and my 622 is not still updated :( shame.

Right. No software update, no 501. The 1080p is a hoax. At least that's the way it looks to me so far. Besides, PPVs are all over priced compared to DVD rental. They will need to come off that $5.99 fee for 24 hours BS to get any business worth bragging about.

Can't complain too much. Dish is giving me a second VIP622 tomorrow and free service for it, ie they are waiving the extra DVR fee. My bill doesn't change, the CSR said! :) So, I said sure, come on in and put it in the Kitchen. I'll be retiring my HR10-250 Tivo from DirecTV now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)