How do I acquire about getting a dish off a commercial roof that is not in use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pro96

You Member, Member ?
Supporting Founder
Jul 18, 2005
OC
Well every morning I drive to my office, I always pass by this strip mall and it has 1.2m channel master dish that is pretty much sitting on its back with the arms and LNB pointing upwards. Its been like that for months so I'd say it is not in use.

How do I acquire about bringing that baby down myself?

It also looks like the dish has the floor mount too. The store that is directly below where the dish sits recently was remodeled and became a completely different store. So I am thinking that the old store used this dish and left it there.

I just don't want to get up there and remove w/o asking or talking with someone.

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Does the strip mall have any "For Lease call ###-####" signs, or something similar? I certainly wouldn't try to get it without permission. If they let you go up there for it, you will probably have to sign an agreement to hold the property owners harmless if you are injured, etc.

Does the strip mall have any "For Lease call ###-####" signs, or something similar? I certainly wouldn't try to get it without permission. If they let you go up there for it, you will probably have to sign an agreement to hold the property owners harmless if you are injured, etc.

Didn't notice any signs with phone #'s as I drove by this morning. On the way home ama drive thru the complex.

Exactly. I've run into the liability issues with homeowners as well. Cant blame them for protecting themelves.
Maybe one of the adjacent stores has contact info if you cant find anything posted. I lost the chance for two Ku's for liability concerns. One was an original Muzak dish about 4' with the cinderblock roofmount assy.:(
God luck, hope you can get it!

Thank you both for the 411. Hopefully I will be able to bring down with permission and lets home there is more then just the dish I see from the street level. :D

On my way to work there is a Bank of America that closed. Mounted on a pipe next to the building sits a nice 6' Prodelin. I was tempted to call the phone number on the real estate sign out front to inquire. I would hate to see it in a dumpster come renovation time.

On my way to work there is a Bank of America that closed. Mounted on a pipe next to the building sits a nice 6' Prodelin. I was tempted to call the phone number on the real estate sign out front to inquire. I would hate to see it in a dumpster come renovation time.

That is how I do it I call if and when I am in the mood and just ask most they can say is no. But if you do not have one already take some help they are real heavy. At least 80 or 90 pounds.

if its a strip mall try and google it. I know some of them have websites and may have a number for leasing/questions

Well I did drive by there again, and called a # posted that is the leasing office. Since it was after 5pm I could only leave a message. I did take a look at the dish closer and it seems to be way larger then a 1.2m. In fact looks like a 1.8m prodelin sitting on either a floor or pole mount. The roof does have some other dishes as well (from the angle i was able to see at street level) including a few mesh cband dishes. Hopefully they call back, but for sure its gonna be a mission if that dish is a Prodelin 1.8 hehe.

pro96 if you dont hear back from them it might be a realty co subcontracted for the real owners. if you dont have luck you could always inquire with the town office it's located in to see who is the owners/ taxpayers for the bldg and they should be able to tell you right away. but hopefully they will give you a call back first.

good luck. hopefully they call back :)
Yup me too.. today they didn't tho :mad:

pro96 if you dont hear back from them it might be a realty co subcontracted for the real owners. if you dont have luck you could always inquire with the town office it's located in to see who is the owners/ taxpayers for the bldg and they should be able to tell you right away. but hopefully they will give you a call back first.

Good tip, I will do just that. Many Thx :up

I put a listing on Craigslist ( today) , that I was looking for a 6 ft dish that I could remove. I've got 4 people to visit tomorrow to look at their dishes. What a potential bonanza . The furthest one away is about 20 miles. I might get a real dish , yet .
:)

I put a listing on Craigslist ( today) , that I was looking for a 6 ft dish that I could remove. I've got 4 people to visit tomorrow to look at their dishes. What a potential bonanza . The furthest one away is about 20 miles. I might get a real dish , yet .
:)

I've done that but seems like the L.A people love their dishes ranging from 1.2m and up.

update: I got a call from the leasing office from that strip mall and they said that unfortunately their insurance will not allow just anyone whom is not licensed to remove satellite dishes at this time. The right candidate will have to submit their business info and the name must match the person who shows up to remove the dish. Plus they said that although the dishes are sitting on top of the roof, they might be needed in the near future. I was like WTF, they could of simply said SORRY NO!!! and that would of ended that quest quick. Half the time I was just listening to the guy LOL.

OH well, too much trouble just to get a dish LOL. :)

Well I did drive by......its gonna be a mission if that dish is a Prodelin 1.8......

Patience is your best friend on this if the store owner can't help you now. I spotted a 1.8M Prodelin on the roof of a closed down Blockbuster Video and watched if for about a year. Could tell it wasn't in use because the feedhorn had been removed.

A cell phone company moved in the store and I drove by one day and the dish was sitting in the parking lot on its non-pen roof mount. It had been plucked from the roof by a roofing crew. Went in and asked the manager about it and he told me he called a scrap metal dealer to come and get it. The dish set there and a few weeks went by so I stopped in and the manager told me I could have it because he thought the scrap man wasn't going to show up. Don't know if the scrap man ever showed up, but if he did he may have been surprised that the dish wasn't there.

Harold

Patience is your best friend on this if the store owner can't help you now. I spotted a 1.8M Prodelin on the roof of a closed down Blockbuster Video and watched if for about a year. Could tell it wasn't in use because the feedhorn had been removed.

A cell phone company moved in the store and I drove by one day and the dish was sitting in the parking lot on its non-pen roof mount. It had been plucked from the roof by a roofing crew. Went in and asked the manager about it and he told me he called a scrap metal dealer to come and get it. The dish set there and a few weeks went by so I stopped in and the manager told me I could have it because he thought the scrap man wasn't going to show up. Don't know if the scrap man ever showed up, but if he did he may have been surprised that the dish wasn't there.

Harold

Cool deal, you was lucky that it was brought to street level been that it was a huge 1.8m prodelin.

I will keep on looking as I drive. Something is bound to pop whether its a commercial and or residential location.

sorry to hear Pro96 that it didnt work out. i know that businesses can be a mess depending on their policy. i had a relative who was a manager for a mall and their policy was when a store leaves what was attached to the bldg became mall property (speakers, counters, mirrors etc). keep looking because with areas transitioning to high speed cable or fios the need for the dishes dissapears. could be a gold mine for fta'ers:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts