How do I keep my Voom STB on all day long?

fant0mas

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 30, 2004
My wife HATES Voom. She needs her soap operas to record during the day and the only way I could get it to work was to have her use the Line1 on the VCR and leaving the STB on the channel she would like to record. Since the 6.10 update, my STB automatically shuts off during the day while we're not home and she comes home to find that her shows didn't get recorded. Her patience is wearing thin... any ideas to help me resolve this problem?

thx in advance

Get a TiVO - they work great with Voom and they aren't very expensive these days. Just tell the TiVO what shows you want it to record, and it does the rest.

Unless I'm missing something, I was not aware of any automatic shutoff for the STB during the day when somebody isn't home. I leave mine turned on all the time, and it is still on when I get home.

Are you sure the hookups between STB and VCR are correct?

fant0mas said:
She needs her soap operas to record during the day and the only way I could get it to work was to have her use the Line1 on the VCR and leaving the STB on the channel she would like to record.
fant0mas, you should start using the Program Planner. If you set it to "Auto ON", not only it will switch the channel at the scheduled time, but will also turn on the STB.

fant0mas said:
My wife HATES Voom. She needs her soap operas to record during the day and the only way I could get it to work was to have her use the Line1 on the VCR and leaving the STB on the channel she would like to record. Since the 6.10 update, my STB automatically shuts off during the day while we're not home and she comes home to find that her shows didn't get recorded. Her patience is wearing thin... any ideas to help me resolve this problem?

thx in advance

I, too, do not understand this as my stb is on 24/7 and never shuts itself off.

Shelly

jagouar said:
If you have voom the only recorded to my knowledge that works with voom is replayTV... Unless something changed in tivo land in the past 2 weeks.

TiVO supports all the Voom satellite channels - it's now an option when you run the Guided Setup and you select your satellite source. TiVO does not support tuning of local OTA stations at this time. For this, I keep a $12.95/mo limited basic cable feed. TiVOs have two inputs -- one for satellite and one for cable. When you select a cable channel, it automatically switches the input to the cable, so it's seamless.

Keeping the $12.95/month limited basic package also gets me a $15/month credit for the cable modem, so I still come out a few dollars ahead... :)

jagouar said:
If you have voom the only recorded to my knowledge that works with voom is replayTV... Unless something changed in tivo land in the past 2 weeks.
Voom and Tivo have worked together for 3 months+.