How do I make my directv remote control my audio receiver and tv and directv receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elementalwindx

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
I want the remote to be able to control volume on the audio receiver (which I have accomplished so far), but I want it to be able to control the inputs on the audio receiver and it does not.

I want it to be able to control the inputs on the tv and be able to turn the tv on/off

and of course its basic function of controlling the satellite.

Please help :) I'm tired of having 2 extra remotes in the way. Thanks!

Audio: Sony 5.1
TV: Samsung 55" 3D LED
Reciever: unknown but I just installed directv yesterday and its a black box with blue lights. It is DVR HD with 3D.

You will have limited control of your AV receiver with the DTV remote. Save yourself a lot of grief and buy a Harmony Universal remote. I recommend the Harmony One if you can afford it, but there are many other models to choose from. They are easy to program from your computer and can learn any command. I have a One and a 700 and both are great and trouble free.

I can only turn the A/V receiver off and on with the Directv remote. I agree with larryah, get a Harmony remote if you want to control both devices with one remote.

It cant possibly be that hard to find a code or something to put in this remote to do that simple feature of changing inputs. Those harmony remotes are seriously expensive! $100+ wow.

What make/model equipment are you wanting to control?
Did you even go through the setup yet to try???

You can just go through the setup on a new receiver like an HR-24 and tell it what you have and it ought to work. I can do what you asked on my TV and AV after setting it up.
Menu>Setup>System>Remote>Program>OK>...follow the instructions.

If the directv remote were to control AV receiver inputs the commands would be mapped to numeral keys 0-9 in the Audio device only. If the code you're using doesn't, try another sony audio code.

You sirs are the men. (bebop and Edmund) Even the directv support guy on the phone was too dumb to mention that, and I've spoke to 2 people before him that even said it could not be done. This remote now chooses my audio inputs, changes the volume, and powers on/off my audio receiver. This is perfect now. Thanks!

It works really well with some receivers and not so well with others. I have an Onyko that is does everything, including input control, and a Pioneer that it does only volume (which is fine).

See page 23 of the remote manual to lock the volume control on all remote modes to your audio receiver:
http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/Remote_Controls/universal_remote_user_guide_new.pdf
What model Onkoyo do you have? I have a TX-SR606 and it does most of the inputs with the numbers, but doesn't do the radio (and maybe a couple others). Maybe there is a better code out there but I haven't found it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)