How Do I splice a combined SAT and UHF cable?

gatdammit

Original poster
Nov 4, 2008
Hi there,
I've tried to search High and Low for this answer but I couldn't find it. Either that or I didn't understand the lexicon and just read right over the answer I was looking for. I have Dish Network ViP722. I have a HD setup and a SD TV setup in my bedroom. I want to add a 3rd TV to my office, but don't really care if the signal is shared with the one in my bedroom. Essentially, the 3rd TV could be a clone of "TV2" . I'm just wondering how to split the combined cable. This is my set up now, I believe.

://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/gatdammit/dishdiagrambz5.jpg

And this is what I want to do. The green circle is where I want to splice the signal ( I don't really want a split). It's just easier for me that way b/c the combined signal cable runs through the room I want the UFH TV (TV3) added.

://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/gatdammit/dishdiagrambz5mod.jpg

So what I'm asking is what kind of splitter or joiner or tap do I need where the green circle is. I know that even after the split, I will still have a combined SAT and UHF signal and plan to get a diplexer on the end (in blue) to separate the two signals (the SAT signal will run to nothing). Is this possible? Any help or pointing in the right direction would help. Also, will the 'splicer'/splitter/joiner/tap have to be amped? Bi directional? and What's DC passive? Frequency? Thanks.

p.s. I didn't realize that I couldn't post pics, but it would really help explain my question. Can you guys just add "http" to the beginning of the picture links to see my pics?

I'm not really sure what you're asking but to send TV2's signal to a 3rd TV you just need to use a common splitter before your connection to the 2nd TV and run another coax from there to #3. If you already have combined an OTA antenna (UHF or VHF) with the TV2 home distribution coax it'll get to the 3rd TV as well. This is what I do with one of my receivers. Hope this helps.:confused:

Ed

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out though. I understand what you're saying about splitting right before it gets to TV2, but TV2 is not in the same room as the 'clone.' Basically, I wanted to split the cable that runs in between the diplexers (the one that carries both SAT and UHF/VHF). I wish you could see the pictures... it be a lot easier to explain.

p.s. How do you get 15 points anyways? So I can link photobucket?

you can only "splice" or "split" where there is pure RF signal, not where it is combined with the satellite signal. To do otherwise is to invite disaster.

15 points = 15 posts, i think. it will let you post links after you reach that level of "experience."

you can only "splice" or "split" where there is pure RF signal, not where it is combined with the satellite signal. To do otherwise is to invite disaster.

15 points = 15 posts, i think. it will let you post links after you reach that level of "experience."

I have to agree with pepper, the only way to reliably split off at the location you want to would be to un-diplex the signals, split the VHF/UHF, then re-diplex them back together. Any other form of trying to do this will only cause problems.

I have to agree with pepper, the only way to reliably split off at the location you want to would be to un-diplex the signals, split the VHF/UHF, then re-diplex them back together. Any other form of trying to do this will only cause problems.

Nice man... that's exactly what I did. I took the combined signaled and attached to diplexers between them. Joined the two satellite feeds and then split the UHF signal... thanks for all the help though guys. :up

Nice man... that's exactly what I did. I took the combined signaled and attached to diplexers between them. Joined the two satellite feeds and then split the UHF signal... thanks for all the help though guys. :up

Hey this is my exact situation that I'm trying to do, can you modify your diagram on where you added the diplexer? I'm afraid I'm not getting where to exactly put the diplexer so I can add the third tv

Thanks
AliG

'Life on Mars' and 722

Columbia MO Local HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)