How do I use my dvdrecorder to control channels of DirectTV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Foo

Original poster
May 23, 2006
With cable I could change which channel I was recording while watching a different channel.
With DirectTV it seems I have lost the control to do this.
Is it possible to do this with a standalone dvdr or am I going to have to invest in a special receiver unit?

You haven't said what equipment you have.

But with D*, in order to watch one channel and record another, you need a D* DVR and 2 sat feeds to it.

Foo said:
With cable I could change which channel I was recording while watching a different channel.
With DirectTV it seems I have lost the control to do this.
Is it possible to do this with a standalone dvdr or am I going to have to invest in a special receiver unit?

With most current D* receivers you have to sync the receiver with the DVD or VCR. Set both timers to record anything, and feed the a/v output from the D* receiver to the input of the DVD or VCR.

Some of the older D* receivers used to control to DVD or VCR, but the newer models do not have that feature. I think it is to get you to buy their DVR, instead of using your own DVD or VCR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)