Status
Please reply by conversation.

Proc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Motown
Just some minor ranting here.

I upgraded to the AT9/5LNB about a month ago.

Every week, usually more than once, I have issues with the HD MPEG4 Locals (thank goodness for OTA).

Obviously, I am not the only one. All you have to do is read the posts here or in any of the other satellite discussion forums.

The issues (just to recap what others are saying):

• Pixelation of picture
  • Audio sync issues
  • Delay. It takes longer (or so it seems) for the MPEG4 locals to tune in once you change to that channel.

My dish is aimed correctly and I have the AT9 sturdied with 2 monopoles. These things are not on my end.

When its "on", which in all fairness, is most of the time, the MPEG4 picture looks as good as the OTA feeds, which is a compliment.

However, it is annoying. How long before these MPEG4 growing pains go away? It explains why it will take until next year before more National HD (in MPEG4) is released. If these issues are taking place on the Big 4 Channels, just imagine our disgust if it happened on a ton of HD channels.

Hands down, cable has D* beat right now when it comes to HD locals.

Get 'er fixed! :rolleyes:

Switch to cable, then you will be happy. I had D* for almost a year, and the picture was so ugly. Now i have cable and my HD channels good. I'm always smiling ear to ear each time i look at it.

The cable company in my area is probably only equal to D*, not better. They don't have Universial HD or ESPN2-HD. What they have that D* doesn't have is INHD1 & 2 and the west coast versions of HBO-HD and Showtime-HD. They don't have ABC-HD or UPN-HD because those channels are owned by Sinclair. I get those network channels plus the others with my OTA. My area is slated to get HD locals from D* this fall so that advantage for the local cable company will go away. I don't want to give up UHD, ESPN2-HD and ABC-HD (I don't want to buy a seperate HD tuner box to get ABC-HD) to gain what cable offers, especially since I get all of my HD locals via OTA. Once 2007 hits D* will offer much more capacity for HD than my local cable company. I'm willing to wait for that.

uncrules said:
The cable company in my area is probably only equal to D*, not better. They don't have Universial HD or ESPN2-HD. What they have that D* doesn't have is INHD1 & 2 and the west coast versions of HBO-HD and Showtime-HD. They don't have ABC-HD or UPN-HD because those channels are owned by Sinclair. I get those network channels plus the others with my OTA. My area is slated to get HD locals from D* this fall so that advantage for the local cable company will go away. I don't want to give up UHD, ESPN2-HD and ABC-HD (I don't want to buy a seperate HD tuner box to get ABC-HD) to gain what cable offers, especially since I get all of my HD locals via OTA. Once 2007 hits D* will offer much more capacity for HD than my local cable company. I'm willing to wait for that.

In no way am I inciting the D* vs. Cable HD debate. I am pointing out that the MPEG4 local channels have pixelation and audio sync problems on D* that can be very annoying to say the least. Cable delivers the HD locals fairly seemlessly without these issues. I am sure that the MPEG4 issues will be worked out, hopefully soon. If not, there is no way D* could put out a bunch of new National HD next year. People would wig out if they get pixelation/audio sync problems on any new national HD stations.

Proc said:
In no way am I inciting the D* vs. Cable HD debate. I am pointing out that the MPEG4 local channels have pixelation and audio sync problems on D* that can be very annoying to say the least. Cable delivers the HD locals fairly seemlessly without these issues. I am sure that the MPEG4 issues will be worked out, hopefully soon. If not, there is no way D* could put out a bunch of new National HD next year. People would wig out if they get pixelation/audio sync problems on any new national HD stations.
I was really responding to neynme not to you. Since everybody doesn't have the same level of cable service available to them the answer to D*'s problems isn't always switching to cable was the point I was trying to make. I really don't want to incite a debate either, we have enough of those.

With that said I agree with what you are saying about D* needing to fix their issues. However, on the audio sync I already have a fix for that. The Yamaha home theater receiver I have has an audio delay feature that you can use to sync audio and video. It can delay the audio up to 160 milliseconds. I had to get it when I got my Sony KDS-R60XBR1. With all the video processing it does it caused my video and audio to get out of sync. I usually have to delay the audio anywhere from 55 milliseconds to 100 milliseconds depending upon the channel to get the audio and video in sync. 65 milliseconds is the one I use the most.

Ya but how does that help when some channels are out of sync more than others and you like to flip back and forth?

Questioner said:
Ya but how does that help when some channels are out of sync more than others and you like to flip back and forth?
Most of the channels are close enough to each other as far as what degree they are out of sync that I don't have to adjust. Probably about 90 percent of the time I don't have to adjust. It's only a couple channels that I have more trouble. Sometimes the channel itself changes how much it is out of sync. For instance when my local CBS channel isn't broadcasting a HD show they don't transmit the HD-signal from the network. They switch to the basic digital transmission. The basic digital transmission is more out of sync than the HD transmission.

When I do have to adjust the audio sync it is very easy to do with the remote. When I turn the receiver on it defaults to showing the type of audio being transmitted. Once I go into the menu option that allows me to change the audio sync, the audio sync option remains on the screen until I force it to go to another menu option. So all I have to do to change the sync is hit the plus or minus button on the home theater remote.

Proc said:

I have noticed this as well in the chicago area. The pixelation has gotten really bad. I'm pretty sure my dish is aligned correctly as I have good signel strength. Does anyone know if d* is working on this.

Same thing here

I am in Chicago as well and it's the pits brothers! Every night now, audio, screen freeze, pixelation. I am 100% sure on the hookup so I know its not me!

I called D* the other day I requested to be refunded my $99 upgrade charge, since I my experiance has gotten so bad, I figured it was the least they could do for me!

Occasionally I have sync issues but the biggest audio issue I have is glitchy/garble pops. That's the only way I know how to describe them. I am in Atlanta. Fox is the worst.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)