How do I use the EHD on a Hopper?

denisincalif

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 1, 2007
Arcadia, CA
Can somebody please tell me how to access the EHD purely for playing back its content?

My Hopper was just installed today. I connected the EHD from my old 622 and it popped up a message on the screen saying I had connected an external device. So far so good. But now I can't figure out how to play recordings directly from the EHD. I have wandered all around various menus and just can't find it. I found how to move a recording from the EHD to the Hopper. But I don't want to do that. I have seen on this forum that doing so can lead to trouble. Besides, it is just a waste of time to first move it and then watch it.

Press the DVR button. At the top of the menu to the right of the MY Recordings choice it will say something like Family Room, Living Room etc. Click on that and you will see you EHD. Not very intuitive at first. I found it when the installer did mine. He wasn't sure where it was.

Just a heads up. The new software for the Hopper has been making many EHDs disappear. Maybe that's why you cant find it. If so, power off, then back on the EHD. Mine has gone missing every day since the beginning of the week.

Press the DVR button. At the top of the menu to the right of the MY Recordings choice it will say something like Family Room, Living Room etc. Click on that and you will see you EHD. Not very intuitive at first. I found it when the installer did mine. He wasn't sure where it was.
Thank you!!!

Extremely non-intuitive, but it works! Also, when I first went through the menu, it seemed to me that I was going to be forced to watch the newest episode. Thankfully, that was just misleading text on the screen. I could indeed select the specific episode I was after.

Just a heads up. The new software for the Hopper has been making many EHDs disappear. Maybe that's why you cant find it. If so, power off, then back on the EHD. Mine has gone missing every day since the beginning of the week.
That wasn't the problem immediately after installation. I just didn't know where to look. But this morning (day 2 of the Hopper) the EHD had disappeared. So I had to power cycle it. This is certainly an annoying bug. I wonder how long it will take Dish to fix it. The problem is definitely NOT the disk going to sleep, like some have said. This disk is a Western Digital that hung on my old 622 for years without ever getting "lost".

You don't need to powercycle the Hopper just unplug and replug the EHD.
Sorry. I didn't make myself clear. All I did was replug the EHD, as you said. Until this problem is resolved I have the EHD sitting outside the cabinet, where I can power cycle it easily. But I worry about leaving it there because we have two cats. Let's hope this problem gets fixed SOON (and not Dish's meaning of SOON)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts