How do you add TP's with an Azbox Premium?

bruin95

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2006
Sin City
I've decided to get myself an Azbox and have had it for about a week now. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to add TP's with this thing. Without blindscanning capabilities, adding TP's is a must. I go into the area of the menu where you can, supposedly, add TP's but they are never saved so I can scan them. Is there anything else I need to do to get this thing to work? I've found this box to be nothing but frustrating and am seriously considering going back to my Sonicview 8000. I guess I'll have to get by without the 4:2:2 feeds if I can't figure this thing out.

If you add a tp that is closer than 3 digits from one that is already in the list and the same polarity it will not save it,after you add the tp if it goes to zero then it did not add,but if it goes to the first tp then just press ok and scroll down until you find it.

Thats how I add TP's and havent had an issue

when you save the TP, it goes back to the 1st TP in the list so you do have to scroll through to find it

If you add a tp that is closer than 3 digits from one that is already in the list and the same polarity it will not save it,after you add the tp if it goes to zero then it did not add,but if it goes to the first tp then just press ok and scroll down until you find it.

I tried to enter tp info and made sure the frequency wasn't close to any others in the list and it still didn't save it. The box is useless to me if I cannot add tp's.

Bruin,

You must ensure that the TP frequency you are adding is valid for the LNBF type being used.

Just for instance, you cannot add a TP frequency of 11.640 if your LNBF is a STANDARD LINEAR LNBF. You would need a Universal LNBF for this TP frequency. So doublecheck the satellite settings and what the L.O. frequency has been set to before adding a new TP.

RADAR

GOGO option

I've decided to get myself an Azbox and have had it for about a week now. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to add TP's with this thing. Without blindscanning capabilities, adding TP's is a must. I go into the area of the menu where you can, supposedly, add TP's but they are never saved so I can scan them. Is there anything else I need to do to get this thing to work? I've found this box to be nothing but frustrating and am seriously considering going back to my Sonicview 8000. I guess I'll have to get by without the 4:2:2 feeds if I can't figure this thing out.

What I did is download all the sats/tps thru thye gogo option, I have 3177 and there's not editor ( that I'm aware of for this FW ), the I added the tp's I was missing, works like a charm.
Try this, move your dish to 105w- AMC18 , tp 3940 will not download thru the gogo option, add it, it will save it ( that's what I did ), if not, you're doing something wrong- don't "give up" on this box you will like it a lot once you get used to it.

I tried to enter tp info and made sure the frequency wasn't close to any others in the list and it still didn't save it. The box is useless to me if I cannot add tp's.

Have you tried using a channel editor program?
Not that I'm saying that you should need to use this all the time, however when I first got my Azbox, I had corrupted channel data on my box. I didn't have the symptoms you describe, but I had some VERY wierd behavior. If I remember right, I couldn't delete sats, I'd make changes to one sat, and they'd show up in another sat, and several channel data functions didn't work as they were supposed to. I was unable to clean out the channel data via the remote.
I ended up downloading new channel data files off the web, then edited them to remove things I didn't need, and transferred them to the Azbox. Once I had a non-corrupted set of channel data in the receiver, then everything worked as it was supposed to work. I haven't used the editor since.
If you do this, however, it's probably best to make sure that the channel data file you find, and/or the editor works with your version firmware.
Anyway, I'm guessing you have corrupted channel data, or data from another firmware version or something, and it's messing up the functions that involve saving that data.

please give us the exact steps you are doing.What sat,tp and your settings,are you pressing the ok button or the exit button after you add the tp.
I understand your frustration with this box,but once you get the hang of it it is smooth sailing,I have been using 2371 since the day I got it with very little problems from the receiver,most of the problems were user error.

What I did is download all the sats/tps thru thye gogo option, I have 3177 and there's not editor ( that I'm aware of for this FW ), the I added the tp's I was missing, works like a charm.
Try this, move your dish to 105w- AMC18 , tp 3940 will not download thru the gogo option, add it, it will save it ( that's what I did ), if not, you're doing something wrong- don't "give up" on this box you will like it a lot once you get used to it.

Everytime I try to use the GOGO function, the download fails. All other internet features, like youtube or firmware upgrades, work flawlessly. I also tried to use the channel editor to load a new sat file onto the box, since the box doesn't have AMC 21 in it's list. It acted like it took the file, but after I rebooted, nothing had changed. It was still the old sat list. It's all very frustrating. I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy. After all, it's me who all my friends come to for help with this kind of stuff. But this box makes me feel like a freakin' idiot. :(

please give us the exact steps you are doing.What sat,tp and your settings,are you pressing the ok button or the exit button after you add the tp.
I understand your frustration with this box,but once you get the hang of it it is smooth sailing,I have been using 2371 since the day I got it with very little problems from the receiver,most of the problems were user error.

All sat settings are correct. The tp frequency is set at 10750 for all the linear birds. When I go into the "tp edit" screen, I select the sat, scroll down to the tp field, press the green button to add a tp, enter all the info for the tp and press OK on the remote. The screen then changes to the normal sat info screen and the first tp for that sat is listed on the screen. I then scroll the tp list to find the tp I just entered and it's not there. I tried again this morning, with the tp info for the Virginia Tech/Duke game on H2. The game feed was 4:2:2, so I needed the Azbox for this game. The frequency wasn't close to anything in the list for this bird and it still didn't save it. I'm beginning to think my box might be a lemon. As I stated, in another post in this thread, I cannot get the GOGO list function, or the channel editor to work either. Nobody else seems to have any problems with this. Another reason why I'm thinking my box may be corrupted or something. The menu screens sometimes freeze up, also. Yet another red flag.

Nobody else seems to have any problems with this.
I had tons of "issues" at first, just took a little time to learn.

Be sure you have updated to at least Firm 2880.
When manually entering a TP via the Remote Control, try having the Freq selected when you exit out of the Sub Menu.

I cannot get the GOGO list function, or the channel editor to work either.
What issues are you having with the Editor?
The GOGO function should work, but only with the Factory Sat list.

Have you tried a Factory Reset? Again, at least load Firm 2880, makes setting the resolution easier.

Everytime I try to use the GOGO function, the download fails. All other internet features, like youtube or firmware upgrades, work flawlessly. I also tried to use the channel editor to load a new sat file onto the box, since the box doesn't have AMC 21 in it's list. It acted like it took the file, but after I rebooted, nothing had changed. It was still the old sat list. It's all very frustrating. ......

Hook up to the Azbox using an FTP program. (May need to enable FTP server on Azbox.)

The channel data files are in the DISK2 directory. I think there are 3 of them, ie

all_channel.dat antenna_list.dat DVBS.dat

After you upload channels via your channel editor, you should be able to tell if they in fact have been updated. (ie from the date stamps)

Also, make sure that the channel editor is in fact compatable with your firmware version. That's one of the reasons I haven't updated firmware since I got mine working, since I know my current firmware is compatable, but I don't know what newer firmware is compatable with what newer editor, I don't want to upgrade again until there are some meaningful improvements, like high bitrate record or blind search.

Someone posted a web page a couple months ago, that had a satellite list that could be loaded into the channel editors. I had to use that to get rid of the corrupted channel data in my Azbox, although I initially had problems due to bugs in the editor program. Finally got everything working though.
One issue though, and I can't remember the details, is that I seem to remember that depending upon how you load data INTO the editor, and how you load it back into the Azbox, sometimes not all three of the channel data files were processed. I wish I could remember the exact process I eventually used... I can't remember if I did the transfer to the Azbox via the editor program or via ftp, however I think that I didin't get it working properly until I got the editor working on and processing all three files.
BTW, when initially getting non-corrupted info into the editor, I downloaded the XML file from the web page, then I used an editor capable of working with the various line termination formats (CR/LF, LF, CR, etc), being careful to keep the file in the same format, and I manually edited the .XML file so that it only had the sats/transponders I wanted. Then I fed it into the channel editor program, and had it process it into the 3 .dat files.
If you used the channel editor, perhaps there was some problem with it's ftp upload to the Azbox, however it seems like the editor would give error messages if this happened. It's been a while since I did the process, so my memory is foggy. But I'm still betting that you have corrupted sat/transponder/channel data. Only other thing I can think of is that somehow the permissions got messed up on those files, which isn't allowing them to be changed. If you use hyperterm to connect to the Azbox, and cd to the /DISK2 directory, you should be able to do an ls -la command and check to see if you have "rw" permissions enabled on those 3 .dat files.
I think all three are -rwxr--r-- on my Azbox, but if somehow one file got set to something like -r--r--r-- then you might not be able to change things. That's the only other thing I can think of.

All sat settings are correct. The tp frequency is set at 10750 for all the linear birds. When I go into the "tp edit" screen, I select the sat, scroll down to the tp field, press the green button to add a tp, enter all the info for the tp and press OK on the remote. The screen then changes to the normal sat info screen and the first tp for that sat is listed on the screen. I then scroll the tp list to find the tp I just entered and it's not there. I tried again this morning, with the tp info for the Virginia Tech/Duke game on H2. The game feed was 4:2:2, so I needed the Azbox for this game. The frequency wasn't close to anything in the list for this bird and it still didn't save it. I'm beginning to think my box might be a lemon. As I stated, in another post in this thread, I cannot get the GOGO list function, or the channel editor to work either. Nobody else seems to have any problems with this. Another reason why I'm thinking my box may be corrupted or something. The menu screens sometimes freeze up, also. Yet another red flag.

Is your azbox slaved? What I do (mine is slaved) is create a new satellite and I call it "MOTOR" and enter the TP info only in that sat. When the games are over I delete the TP's to not have conflicting info when I try and add a sat.
I do have a couple fixed dishes hooked up to it too and those sats I use the correct satellite in the setup

Well guys, the box is dead. I tried to turn it on today and got nothing. There isn't any display on the front panel. Tried a hard reboot and nothing. The box is totally unresponsive. I figured there had to be something wrong with this thing. Really the only thing that was working correctly was youtube. I requested a exchange from the place of purchase and should have a new one within a week. Hopefully, that one will work like it's supposed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)