How do you deal with snow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
%$%$ snow knocked out most of my dishes and its still snowing second day straight, what is the procedure for cband dishes? 6 feet and up
my 4 big dishes are out but most of the little ones are still up

for big dishes what do you do
wait it out
remove it even though its still snowing

It almost never snows here in my neck of the woods so Im desperate.

Go out with a broom and remove the snow. You can do it while it's snowing then do it again when it's done. Keep the dish low in elevation if it's movable till the storm ends that helps too.

No biggie been doing it for 22 winters :D

Yep, use a broom, gently.
If it's light fluffy stuff, use a leaf blower.
If I know an Ice Storm is coming, lay large plastic bags on the dish.

Didn't I read somewhere in the forums that you can spray silicon or Pam on the dish to keep the ice and snow off it?. I searched but didn't find anything.

I use ordinary car wax on my dish farm. It helps the snow slide off, and makes ice much easier to remove. It's awkward to apply to a big mesh C-band dish, so I use spray on silicone there.

Wax or silicone the lnb feedhorn cover too, a little ice there can kill your signal quick.

I have heard that tying a big plastic garbage bag over a Ku dish can work to keep snow off the dish and the signal usable. Apparently the wind flexes the plastic enough to keep the snow from sticking in most conditions. Can anyone comment on this method from actual experience?

ta-da

This is about the extent of my snow, last year. Haven't had a reallly good one since the storm of 93. I used a street broom on my ONE big dish, back then, gave up after a couple of trips outdoors in the cold. Power went out anyway so tv was the least of my worries.

Attachments

• dish3.jpg
    dish3.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 232
I have heard that tying a big plastic garbage bag over a Ku dish can work to keep snow off the dish and the signal usable. Apparently the wind flexes the plastic enough to keep the snow from sticking in most conditions. Can anyone comment on this method from actual experience?
Yes. I put bags over the "Ku" Dishes for the Winter. Works for me.
A quick shake of the bag and all is clean.

i have a eight foot 1x2 with a squeegee I bolted on it and I use that. The bristles of the broom are not stiff enough so the squeegee works great.

I only have to use it about 4 times a year.

All I've done is move my bud to one limit and then to the opposite. Whatever hasn't fallen off by then usually hasn't been a problem. And if it has I wait for mister sun to come along.

Famous last words I suppos

How do you deal with snow:

1). Snow? Man, we're digital not analog! We don't need no stinkin' snow! - :eek:

2). Several decades ago, I remember some hail.
- Every few years we have a fog.
- Once or twice a year we get a little rain.
- Snow? I don't recall any here outside Los Angeles.

3). When we want to ski, we drive a couple of hours to the local mountains.
That's where we keep our snow. :cool: Where do you keep yours? - :D

The down side? Not too many lizards.
TurboSat, where the heck did yours hide during that white-out picture you posted? - :rolleyes:

Anole, I thought I heard a bus' airbrakes while I made that picture, I'm thinking they got on Greyhound to Pensacola lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)