Status
Please reply by conversation.

putney

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
St Louis, missouri
Motor Mod SG6000 (SG2100, SG9120)

I had a motor that wouldn't respond to 13v commands. The dealer, Hypermegasat, sent me a replacement and told me to keep the defective one. Since I knew it worked at 18v, it was time to consider a dedicated continuous power mod, inspired by other Sat-Guy mods.

My inspiration: http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/174799-naughty-mods-i-dg-380-separate-drive-power.html :up

Anole inspired me to mod a 19v laptop power supply for this project. :up

I haven't gotten it on the pole yet, but it works on the bench using a couple of different STB!
Cool Beans!
Constant 19v means no slow motor!

I used a standard splitter with 90º elbows to carry commands to the motor and LNB since the pass-thru f-conector is now used for the power. I will put the splitter in a water proof (tupperware) box near the motor.

I put an F-connector on the gateway PS and use RG6 cable to go to the motor.

I believe the SG6000, SG2100, & SG9120 have the same circuit board. (not positive)

(I found a broken leg to a cap while I was there)

The pink lines show the trace path on the board.

Attachments

• frnt_cut_trace.jpg
    frnt_cut_trace.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 345
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 338
  • PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 322
  • all.jpg
    all.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Putney,

Excellent work! Great illustrations.

The neat thing about this mod is that the motor would always drive at its highest speed and the power supply of the receiver would not be taxed with this load as well.

RADAR

Putney,

Excellent work! Great illustrations.

The neat thing about this mod is that the motor would always drive at its highest speed and the power supply of the receiver would not be taxed with this load as well.

RADAR

Thanks Radar

And thank you Anole for helping me find the 'Naughty Mod' link! Finally got around to putting that new found knowledge to work. :up

Last edited:
Nice pix.
Thanks for documenting the whole job. :cool:

If the LNB signal is strong, then there is nothing else to bother with.
I think you get an "A" on this project. -- :up

Putney,
Let me see if I have this correct, when the STB gives the command to move the motor, it energizes the motor logic board and the logic board relays cut in the power to move the motor from the PC power supply.
MikeLib

Nice mod :) Thanks for showing people who use this type of motor how to make it work.

There's nothing wrong with using a splitter to connect both the motor and LNB to the receiver. However, you do lose around 3 dB of the LNB's output. That may or may not be important. If you substitute a diplexer that passes power to both ports, you'll get the best of all worlds: (1) power to the LNB, (2) motor commands to the motor and (3) virtually all the LNB output to the receiver only. One has to be a little careful about the particular diplexer because many only pass power to one port, but the dual power port ones cost the same as a comparable splitter.

Diplexer question

One has to be a little careful about the particular diplexer because many only pass power to one port,

What is the typical frequency cut-off on the non-power passing side of a diplexer?

Nice mod :) Thanks for showing people who use this type of motor how to make it work.

There's nothing wrong with using a splitter to connect both the motor and LNB to the receiver. However, you do lose around 3 dB of the LNB's output. That may or may not be important. If you substitute a diplexer that passes power to both ports, you'll get the best of all worlds: (1) power to the LNB, (2) motor commands to the motor and (3) virtually all the LNB output to the receiver only. One has to be a little careful about the particular diplexer because many only pass power to one port, but the dual power port ones cost the same as a comparable splitter.

Thanks for the tip. I'm sure I have a diplexer somewhere...

What is the typical frequency cut-off on the non-power passing side of a diplexer?

You need BOTH ports to pass power for this to work. Most diplexers split the output between OTA and satellite L-band. That means you normally get about 800 MHz and below through the OTA port and 950 MHz and above through the SAT port.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts