How does PPV request get uplinked to D*?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TrekkerEd

Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
New Hampshire
Just switched from cable to Directtv Standard Def with R16-300 receiver (DVR) on main TV and D12-500 receiver on 2nd TV. All is working well so far... The DVR is not hardwire linked to either my landline telephone or to my DSL internet. So, when I set up a PPV movie request, how does the fact that I watched the PPV movie, and the PPV charge I get billed for, get transmitted to the Directtv office?

Your PPV charges are stored on the card in the receiver and will hold around $100.00 of PPV before it refuses anymore usage of PPV. Then if you connect it to either a phoneline or network you will be charged all at once. You can also order PPV my their web page and it will be available on all your receivers and charged to you account at that time.

ClemSole, Thanks for the info.

I don't have any plans to connect the DVR to either my phoneline or DSL router. Will I be required to connect at some point in the future, or is there another way to xmit the card info to DirectTV?

TrekkerEd

As ClemSole said, it will be stored on the access card and when a limit is reached you will be unable to watch anymore PPV until it is cleared. This can only be done via a phone or internet connection. The data will stay on the card and if/when the unit is returned to Directv (as all leased units must after they are deactivated), you will be charged at that time.

A-h-h-h..., the possibilities are expanding. I'll plan on setting up a permanent connection out, phone or internet. I'm becoming intrigued mostly by the DSL internet option using my wireless home network. I'm in a lightly-populated area, and my wireless laptop-to-desktop connection works very well.

So, the next question is, can I use a router at the R16 DVR to connect to my PC network? I assume it should work OK to get PPV usage info out to the DirectTV office, but would it also work to get photos on the PC onto the TV?

Any recommendations on where should I look to start tracking down answers?

Thanks for all your help!

Ed

Last edited:
A-h-h-h..., the possibilities are expanding. I'll plan on setting up a permanent connection out, phone or internet. I'm becoming intrigued mostly by the DSL internet option using my wireless home network. I'm in a lightly-populated area, and my wireless laptop-to-desktop connection works very well.

So, the next question is, can I use a router at the R16 DVR to connect to my PC network? I assume it should work OK to get PPV usage info out to the DirectTV office, but would it also work to get photos on the PC into the PC?

Any recommendations on where should I look to start tracking down answers?

Tahnks

I have not looked into the R-16 rec's at all.
Do they have a ethernet connection on them ?

The newer H/series rec.s have the ability to communicate with your network, seeing the R-16 is new, it would not surprise me that you could do this as well.

There is probably a write up on the R-16 on the site somewhere.

If it does communicate with the network then you would be able to do waht you want.
Sorry I could not be more definate about this for you.

Jimbo

No - My mistake... I thought the R16 had both phone and internet, but it's only the phone connection.

It's another reason for upgrading to HD!

Thanks for the sanity check.

Ed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts